Spyderco Paysan

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Re: Spyderco Paysan

Post by curlyhairedboy »

There's a lot of models with better steel and equally compelling design for less than that.

Still no idea how they're charging this much.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

They're putting a bit of extra shine on their Halo product. If the blade finish and handle finish is Slysz Bowie quality, and it cuts, and it's as well done as the Nirvana was on top, then I can see it. And dat sharpening choil, by the way. But even for me, having expensive tastes, that's a big ask.
Last edited by NickShabazz on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Looks nice, but for me that is way above my price range.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Wow, what a beautiful knife. I think the blade shape is a little reminiscent of the ZT0777. The saving starts now. I need this knife!
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
vanadium

Post by vanadium »

This price is reasonable *if* the knife is poised to compete in its price range. Is it possible that someone considering an Arius, Swish, or Inkosi will handle this knife, and realize they have another option to consider? Maybe! Something on the caliber of the Nirvana wouldn't do that, but maybe this is a giant step above. I really hope so!

However even if the quality is there, there are serious other factors to consider: The relationship I have with Koenig, Olamic, or CRK is a giant step beyond my relationship Spyderco, even as an owner in $k's of Taichung spidyproduct. People buying in this price bracket want to feel close to the makers, they want 'spa treatments', and they want a prestige brand. That last part is really important. There's a reason that Honda, Nissan and Toyota don't market luxury cars under their own brand names. Nobody wants to drive an $85k QX80 branded with the same nameplate as a $12k Versa.

Spyderco, a word of advice: Assuming that the *quality* of the Paysan is meant to compete against $500+ midtechs, please market it under a new brand or division, with new rules to match the price segment. Kershaw showed it can be done with ZT. Call the new brand "SPY". Ship the knives in a foam-lined plastic case. Include a coupon for your first spa treatment, a bottle of good lubricant, a torx tool, and a certificate of authenticity signed by the person who did the final inspection and tuning. Offer an acidwash and a satin hand-rub as options (and execute those changes in Golden). Raise the price to match.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

vanadium wrote:This price is reasonable *if* the knife is poised to compete in its price range. Is it possible that someone considering an Arius, Swish, or Inkosi will handle this knife, and realize they have another option to consider? Maybe! Something on the caliber of the Nirvana wouldn't do that, but maybe this is a giant step above. I really hope so!

However even if the quality is there, there are serious other factors to consider: The relationship I have with Koenig, Olamic, or CRK is a giant step beyond my relationship Spyderco, even as an owner in $k's of Taichung spidyproduct. People buying in this price bracket want to feel close to the makers, they want 'spa treatments', and they want a prestige brand. That last part is really important. There's a reason that Honda, Nissan and Toyota don't market luxury cars under their own brand names. Nobody wants to drive an $85k QX80 branded with the same nameplate as a $12k Versa.

Spyderco, a word of advice: Assuming that the *quality* of the Paysan is meant to compete against $500+ midtechs, please market it under a new brand or division, with new rules to match the price segment. Kershaw showed it can be done with ZT. Call the new brand "SPY". Ship the knives in a foam-lined plastic case. Include a coupon for your first spa treatment, a bottle of good lubricant, a torx tool, and a certificate of authenticity signed by the person who did the final inspection and tuning. Offer an acidwash and a satin hand-rub as options (and execute those changes in Golden). Raise the price to match.
Good point. I mentioned something similar at 5:58pm PT on BladeForums (see below). At such prices Spyderco needs to up their service to be at least on par with Benchmade and ZT.
Perhaps Spyderco should set up a super-premium brand called Tarantula for such knives.

Somewhat analogous to what Lexus is to Toyota.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
vanadium

Post by vanadium »

RamZar wrote:I mentioned something similar at 5:58pm PT on BladeForums (see below). At such prices Spyderco needs to up their service to be at least on par with Benchmade and ZT.
Perhaps Spyderco should set up a super-premium brand called Tarantula for such knives.

Somewhat analogous to what Lexus is to Toyota.
I mentioned something similar at 5:12pm ET on Instagram, so obviously I win. ;-)

"Tarantula" is excellent.
vernonremington

Post by vernonremington »

I’m still gonna buy this one. The argument for mid techs and customs doesn’t work for me. I’ve handled some garbage mid techs and customs. I trust Spyderco to make a quality product and back it up.
EngDevGr3

Post by EngDevGr3 »

:D I think the cost is due to the adamantium steel upgrade from s90v...
rivy

Post by rivy »

To add thoughts to the comment about it competing with the Arius and Inkosi- keep in mind the large Inkosi and Arius can both be had as low as $455-460 in their “base” formats/finish. This Spydie appears to be equivalent to that base finish. I got a new, direct from Koenig, Arius for $570 with an upgraded blade finish, ano’d hardware, and a carbon fiber show scale. The only thing this model has on those is that it’s an integral.

Don’t get me wrong this knife looks great but I still think it’s $100 too expensive from a positioning standpoint. I guess we will see. If it’s incredible it will sell.
rivy

Post by rivy »

vernonremington wrote:I’m still gonna buy this one. The argument for mid techs and customs doesn’t work for me. I’ve handled some garbage mid techs and customs. I trust Spyderco to make a quality product and back it up.
I have also. I can vouch first hand for the ones mentioned though. The Arius and Inkosi are incredible. I hope the Paysan meansures up!
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

I'm a bit surprised by the price, too. I thought I heard Eric say this one would be a little cheaper than the Nirvana since it doesn't sport the wrap-around handle engraving. While I can understand these are not cheap to manufacture, I think that once you cross the $500 threshold, saving a little more and buying a custom directly from Peter becomes a viable alternative.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm not saying I won't spend a bonus on it... Cause I will.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
vernonremington

Post by vernonremington »

PaleMoon wrote:I'm a bit surprised by the price, too. I thought I heard Eric say this one would be a little cheaper than the Nirvana since it doesn't sport the wrap-around handle engraving. While I can understand these are not cheap to manufacture, I think that once you cross the $500 threshold, saving a little more and buying a custom directly from Peter becomes a viable alternative.
How much is a full custom from Peter? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one below $1200 on bladeforums and Arizona Custom Knives.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm surprised so many don't like the blade shape. If it we're FFG with no taper it would be absolutely perfect for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Based on the news of the finalized price dropping to the larger knife world, a large number think it's priced higher than it should be.

However, there's a good chance that this coming out of Taichung may have better fit and finish than most customs. (which is honestly valid for most Taichung spydies, but I digress)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My only problem with the price is that by $400 street price the competition really opens up. For ~$150-200 I think Spyderco are still very competitive but at $500 there are a lot of crazy good options.
~David
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

xceptnl wrote:
toomzz wrote:Nice, what steel?
S90V I think Tomas
Now it has my attention.... :)
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Completely off my radar now.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

PaleMoon wrote:.....

Ok I've gotta ask because I can't quite figure it out, is that Carlos Hathcock in your avatar or someone else?
~David