What is a "working edge"?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

What is a "working edge"?

Post by The Meat man »

Some steels, like Super Blue and HAP40 are said to take extremely sharp edges, but aren't the best in really long-term edge retention. Other steels are supposedly able to take a similar degree of sharpness, lose it quicker, but then last much longer with a "working edge".
What do you consider a working edge to be, generally speaking? An edge that can still shave but not whittle hair? One that can slice copy paper but not shave?

I've seen this term numerous times here on the forum but without much clarification as to what is really meant.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TriggerThumb

Re: What is a "working edge"?

Post by TriggerThumb »

I take it to mean an edge that is generally useful, but not impractical to maintain under reasonable conditions.
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Id call a working edge an edge that might not shave, but still cuts effectively. Say with s30v, I might cut a cardboard box into strips and it might not shave anymore. But it will probably hold a similar level of sharpness for the next few boxes. Id call it dull once it cant cut a piece of printer paper.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For me it's when a steel like S110V will dull to a point where it isn't at peak sharpness anymore but isn't exactly dull and will continue to cut well for long periods of time without becoming so dull that it sucks to use. This is also 100% dependent on what I'm cutting.

Example, there's really no such thing as edge retention on a barber's straight razor since the goal is to keep it as sharp as possible, but you can cut far more cardboard with a S110V blade in one sitting than you'll ever realistically need to do before it's blunt dull to the point where it won't cut anymore.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

won't shave but not dull... like a coarse edge
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
me2

Post by me2 »

A working edge doesn't have a strict definition. If you go until a knife won't cut printer paper, basically any steel will hold that level for a LONG time, literally thousands of feet of cardboard cut.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Depends on what kind of work your doing ;)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I agree with the general idea of “it won’t shave but can still slice printer paper” as a handy description of a working edge.
vivi

Post by vivi »

IMO a working edge is one that is unimpressive, but functional. An edge that won't shave, much less whittle hair, but can still turn one piece of cardboard into two with a slice.

I agree that, in the literal sense, working edges don't always work depending on what you're doing. If I have to slice 100 cherry tomatoes for prep a working edge won't cut it.
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Bill1170 wrote:I agree with the general idea of “it won’t shave but can still slice printer paper” as a handy description of a working edge.
Okay that's a good general way to look at it.
Whenever I get a new knife I tend to baby it for awhile. The other day I decided to put my N5 to the test. Cut up a lot of dirty (I work in a metal shop so everything gets impregnated with steel dust) cardboard - about 200 feet - lots of paper, hard plastic, wood, etc. It still sliced copy paper easily but had lost that hair-grabbing sharpness, which got me to thinking what exactly a working edge meant.
I LOVE an edge that can whittle hair but realistically speaking, I don't really NEED an edge that sharp for my EDC tasks.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

HAP-40 holds a working edge... VG-10 and CTS-BD1 don't. I find HAP-40 to be in the sweet spot between scary sharp edge retention and achieving and wear resistance. At least in my uses. Food prep, cardboard, game processing.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wanimator wrote:HAP-40 holds a working edge... VG-10 and CTS-BD1 don't. I find HAP-40 to be in the sweet spot between scary sharp edge retention and achieving and wear resistance. At least in my uses. Food prep, cardboard, game processing.
It all depends on what you're cutting. Don't forget that edge and blade geometry can make a world of difference with any steel.

https://youtu.be/aTk1cFmIImc
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This often mentioned topic we speak of often that we call a "Working Edge" is a very interesting concept needless to say. I know some of you are going to think that I'm way too far "Old SchooL" but I've always thought of VG-10 as even having a great working edge. VG-10 is still one of my favorite knife blades to work with (especially in the kitchen). Most of my VG-10 models I'll probably not ever get rid of. And I've always liked the crisp edge I could attain with VG-10.

I've always liked VG-10 much better than S30V and I'm a huge fan of Crucible. My current favorite blade steel M390 sure has a really good edge with a lot of bite to it. But also ZDP-189 has a very penetrating edge as well. But by raw definition I'm not sure what I would put down concerning a "Working Edge"
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd define 'working edge' as any edge keen enough to cut while applying a SAFE amount of force.

A dull knife will still cut - poorly - with an UNSAFE amount of force.

This of course is a function of the material being cut. Many modern steels will hold this definition of working edge on materials that would cripple less abrasion-resistant edges.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

So how many of you are content with a working edge?

Part of my problem is that I hate to lose that razor sharpness, so I end up constantly touching up my edge even though it's plenty sharp enough to get me through any task.
Kind of a paradox - we like buying premium steels that don't need as much sharpening, but then we end up sharpening them all the time anyway. :)
- Connor

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Meat man wrote:So how many of you are content with a working edge?

Part of my problem is that I hate to lose that razor sharpness, so I end up constantly touching up my edge even though it's plenty sharp enough to get me through any task.
Kind of a paradox - we like buying premium steels that don't need as much sharpening, but then we end up sharpening them all the time anyway. :)

Yep, and it's that paradox plus the fact that I don't need that extreme edge retention anymore for my job that has me preferring steels that are easier to sharpen/tougher/take a finer edge. I've never been satisfied with just a working edge but in the past it was important because I used my knife so much in a single day. Now I can do casual daily touch ups and my edge is always sharp.
~David
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Evil D wrote: Yep, and it's that paradox plus the fact that I don't need that extreme edge retention anymore for my job that has me preferring steels that are easier to sharpen/tougher/take a finer edge. [...]
That's pretty much my experience. It's also why I've been carrying a 14C28N blade for some time now. Moreover, I find myself looking at the PM2 in 52100 and the VTOKU sprints as opposed to some of the better blade steels in the Spyderco lineup.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:I'd define 'working edge' as any edge keen enough to cut while applying a SAFE amount of force.

A dull knife will still cut - poorly - with an UNSAFE amount of force.

This of course is a function of the material being cut. Many modern steels will hold this definition of working edge on materials that would cripple less abrasion-resistant edges.
Sounds good to me.
I'd add, a working edge is just a step above dull.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

When I am cutting stuff with it, it is a working edge. When it is folded up in my pocket, it ain't workin'
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Meat man wrote:So how many of you are content with a working edge?

Ah, hahaha! :)

I must be the odd man out because I'm quite happy with a true working edge. For example (and at extreme ends of the spectrum) a Dexter Russell fillet knife is either sharp or it's blunt there doesn't seem to be much in between. My Sprig on the other hand doesn't shave or cut paper anymore but still cuts through fish rib bones and lifts fillets basically the same as when it was hair popping sharp. Why sharpen it? Ah, hahaha! :rolleyes:

I don't rightly know but I'm inclined to think the blade steel ultimately determines whether you end up with a 'working edge' or a plain old blunt edge. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin