Compression lock and blade thickness

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ramsey16

Compression lock and blade thickness

Post by Ramsey16 »

Having just got my first compression lock knife I am now in love with it. I own a pm2 and a sage 5 now.

I have a craving for a thinner bladed knife like the chapparal, however I wish it could have my new favorite lock.

My question is does a blade that is sub 3mm have enough area to lock up properly? I figure there has to be a reason a knife like this does not exist.
Evil D

Re: Compression lock and blade thickness

Post by Evil D »

That's my guess, the lock needs room to travel. Then again I've seen liner locks with much thinner blades, and while they don't exactly operate the same way they both do have a liner that travels across the blade in a similar fashion.

Your other option is to have a knife ground down to the thickness you want it. Then you have the best of both worlds.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Howdy Ramsey,
One of my designs, the Ouroboros uses the compression lock and has a blade thickness of only 2.5 mm.
It’s not a strictly ‘conventional’ knife (negative blade angle, more of a pistol-grip, big belly, very large choil), but I think it may be the thinnest compression lock blade stock currently available.

I’m definitely biased, but it may be worth at least looking into if a thin blade is a priority,
- Paul
Ramsey16

Post by Ramsey16 »

Thanks Paul. I will definitely check that out!
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

paulwa wrote:Howdy Ramsey,
One of my designs, the Ouroboros uses the compression lock and has a blade thickness of only 2.5 mm.
It’s not a strictly ‘conventional’ knife (negative blade angle, more of a pistol-grip, big belly, very large choil), but I think it may be the thinnest compression lock blade stock currently available.

I’m definitely biased, but it may be worth at least looking into if a thin blade is a priority,
- Paul
I've been wanting an Ouroboros since it's release...I'm just puzzled by the pricing on it. All thing considered, I don't see how the MSRP is $40 higher than the Sliverax...however, after reading this post, I guess it could be because of the tolerances when dealing with a thin blade stock/compression lock combo...?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ramsey,

As Evil and Paul mentioned, Linerlocks and compression locks are more dependent on travel room. I think the Cricket is probably the thinnest Linerlock we make.

sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

IIRC, Spyderco's first compression lock model, or at least one of the first, was the Centofante Vesuvius and it had a 2mm blade. They've been out of production for a long time, but they still show up on eBay occasionally.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Omlin

Post by Omlin »

I have a long discontinued Salsa with compression lock. Blade thicknes is 2.5mm
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:IIRC, Spyderco's first compression lock model, or at least one of the first, was the Centofante Vesuvius and it had a 2mm blade. They've been out of production for a long time, but they still show up on eBay occasionally.
The Vesuvius was a little before my time on the forum, do you remember what the issue was with the lock on this model? I recall reading about early compression lock struggles. I really wish this one would come back with all the experience they've gained with the lock since then.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Nate

Post by Nate »

hovan2yourknives wrote: I've been wanting an Ouroboros since it's release...I'm just puzzled by the pricing on it. All thing considered, I don't see how the MSRP is $40 higher than the Sliverax...however, after reading this post, I guess it could be because of the tolerances when dealing with a thin blade stock/compression lock combo...?
I may be wrong, but I suspect the difference in pricing has more to do with where they were made, respectively, than anything else.
:spyder:
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Using thicker blade stock can accommodate more than just a robust lock. The tang has room to be milled out for bearing races and so forth. The actual cutting portion of the blade can be ground as thin as desired. This wastes blade material, but it could be done if desired. A thicker blade can also be thinned out á la Krein after purchase if the end user wants it enough.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:
The Deacon wrote:IIRC, Spyderco's first compression lock model, or at least one of the first, was the Centofante Vesuvius and it had a 2mm blade. They've been out of production for a long time, but they still show up on eBay occasionally.
The Vesuvius was a little before my time on the forum, do you remember what the issue was with the lock on this model? I recall reading about early compression lock struggles. I really wish this one would come back with all the experience they've gained with the lock since then.
No issue with the lock that I recall, David, but a fair number of them did have an issue with the blade edge striking the rearmost standoff and getting dinged.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!