The Advocate - An Official Statement from Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: The Advocate - An Official Statement from Spyderco

Post by SG89 »

burlyspyder wrote:Got my new Advocate today. Interestingly, the bearing housings look black, not bronze/copper as I had expected and was shown in the newsletter. Has an LP production code, so I think that means it was 12/2017 production. I would say the action is smooth and crisp - far better than my positron. Just wonder if I got the CQI given the color of the bearing ring...any insights? Maybe it has oxidized?

-burly
Can you post a pic?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
burlyspyder

Post by burlyspyder »

*removed pic link*

It was really hard to get the rings with phone camera. I had to use a light, which distorts color a bit. The rings are definitely black... :confused:
I specifically asked for the newest batch with CQI when I spoke with the retailer. I wonder if the knife got swapped out at the retailer?

It flips nicely, but I do feel the bearings rolling (can definitely feel a bit of uneveness) when I slowly manually move the blade in and out. Does not currently appear to affect function.

-burly

EDIT: Looks like I counted wrong - LP would mean 12/2016? Ugh. Contacted retailer.
Last edited by burlyspyder on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-red: H1(s), M4, 4v, 10v, 15v(m), Hap40, s90v, s110v, BD1n, Maxamet, Magnacut(s), Z-max(m), Z-wear(m), Magnacut(m), SRS13(m), Rex76(m), M398(m)
Other: D2, White#1, Blue#2, SuperBlue, VG-10, 204P, 20cv, s30v, s35vn, s45vn, s90v, HIC, TC71
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

burlyspyder wrote:Got my new Advocate today. Interestingly, the bearing housings look black, not bronze/copper as I had expected and was shown in the newsletter. Has an LP production code, so I think that means it was 12/2017 production. I would say the action is smooth and crisp - far better than my positron. Just wonder if I got the CQI given the color of the bearing ring...any insights? Maybe it has oxidized?

-burly
LP production code would translate to December 2016, not December 2017 which means you most likely have the older pivot design.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Kristi wrote in another thread -
"Any Advocate now shipping from us has been updated. This includes shipments from SFO as well as those to our Dealers and Distributors. Having said that though, the knives were produced prior to this month so the date code on the box should not be used as an indicator."

Still it sounds like you have the older one based on the color of bearing housing.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

first post in this thread stating halting further advocate shipments till they were cqi'd is from April 2017 so if your knife is from Dec 2016 and you specifically asked your dealer for an updated one that is very disappointing
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
burlyspyder

Post by burlyspyder »

Yes disappointing. I spoke with them and they said they are short-staffed at warehouse in VA and couldn't fulfill the request on the order.
:bug-red: H1(s), M4, 4v, 10v, 15v(m), Hap40, s90v, s110v, BD1n, Maxamet, Magnacut(s), Z-max(m), Z-wear(m), Magnacut(m), SRS13(m), Rex76(m), M398(m)
Other: D2, White#1, Blue#2, SuperBlue, VG-10, 204P, 20cv, s30v, s35vn, s45vn, s90v, HIC, TC71
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

burlyspyder wrote:Yes disappointing. I spoke with them and they said they are short-staffed at warehouse in VA and couldn't fulfill the request on the order.
I would ship it back COD and stop payment on my credit card. I have a low tolerance for being lied to. Tell me up front, we won't do that, no problem. Lie about it and try to make me eat it? Nope.

I am a Spyderco fan boy, but I think it is absolutely absurd that any of these old knives are still in circulation at retailers when Sal himself has publicly stated there was a problem with the design. Spyderco is damaging their reputation with their customers and their retailers by allowing this to continue.

David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

burlyspyder wrote:Yes disappointing. I spoke with them and they said they are short-staffed at warehouse in VA and couldn't fulfill the request on the order.
I've spoken to that particular retailer before during my hunt for a symmetrically ground Southard. They categorically refused to do any kind of selection or binning process.

lots of other retailers are MORE than happy to do so...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
palonej

Post by palonej »

murphjd25 wrote:
Evil D wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:I wouldn’t be concerned over what a few people said on YouTube. I’ve had NO PROBLEMS with any of my flippers.
That's the problem with this hobby, one negative comment by someone with enough followers and it becomes the gospel, and any positive feedback is dismissed as fanboying. I've completely stopped watching any knife reviews and really hesitate to make them myself anymore.
You are very correct. I haven’t watched any knife reviews after this whole debacle.

It really is a shame too, because the Advocate is my most carried knife during the work week. It is that great, and I don’t think many people have gave it a shot because of what a few people have said.
Same here Josh. I have an original Advocate, and it has become my favorite Spydie. Carry it for work, HVAC, every day for the last 5 months. Why?? Carries invisibly, slices like a pissed off demon, holds an edge beautifully and flips like a dream.
After using it quite hard for that time, it is still perfectly centered, no blade play whatsoever and locks up stupid tight.
I’ve caught some abuse for these outlandish claims, but they are true.
I kinda like how it looks with some battle scars too!
Joe
Attachments
94516FE4-B18F-4EE7-B18B-46B7D134C37E.jpeg
burlyspyder

Post by burlyspyder »

So...I just received my second request for a new Advocate from the same retailer that provided the "LP" code previously (non-CQI). I purposefully requested the new one on the order form with the intent that the new and old return would pass each other in transit, and I would not get the same one.

I opened the package today to see that I got another "LP" code on the box. I disappointingly opened it, and found that the knife inside was "double bagged" (a plastic sheath inside re-taped bubble-wrap), not the normal Spyderco packaging. It has the new phosphor bronze rings and has distinctly different action. It is a bit tighter (slower), but is much smoother.

So - I am quite happy that I now have the new one, but it raises some concern with regard to the repackaging. There is now likely a box out there with a non-CQI advocate with a CQI production code. Spyderco (sal?) may want to ensure retailers are not repackaging ad-hoc. I doubt it would affect the registration or warranty for the customer (Spyderco is great there), but may be difficult to track for them if they do so. Perhaps it is a non-issue, but I felt it appropriate to bring up here.

Cheers,
-burly
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I really hope to see this design take off now. I won’t get into the debate about bearings and cqi but I’ll just say that this is an awesome design and it’s a shame it got off to a slow start. I have one of the early customs that Gayle made and it remains one of my all time favorite folders. Great blade shape and completely disappears in the pocket.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Burly,

Welcome to our forum.

Pretty hard for us to chase down one knife. Glad you are pleased. Keep us posted.

sal
burlyspyder

Post by burlyspyder »

Hi sal,
It's a great design and execution. I wasn't implying you should or could track that down, only that people shouldn't use the code to purchase by (which someone previously said), and that a warranty claim serial may not match the particular version of the knife.

Thanks for continuously making great products. I'll check in later after a few months of EDC, but after handling this for a bit, I am confident in the quality. Good stuff.

Cheers,
burly
62Mini

Post by 62Mini »

Anyone know what dealers have the new pivot advocates in stock? Ive been waiting for them lol.
archangel

Post by archangel »

I had an itch the last couple of days. Something drove me to check my favorite dealer for new offerings day after day... And today it happened: the Advocate was listed as New Arrival.

I jumped the gun. It's inbound. Consider the M4 case closed for me. :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
62Mini

Post by 62Mini »

archangel wrote:I had an itch the last couple of days. Something drove me to check my favorite dealer for new offerings day after day... And today it happened: the Advocate was listed as New Arrival.

I jumped the gun. It's inbound. Consider the M4 case closed for me. :)
What site is that?
archangel

Post by archangel »

Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
62Mini

Post by 62Mini »

I just bought one from BHQ and requested the new revised version. it came in today and its the old design. The marking on the box for the date are LP so Dec. 2016. looks like this one is going back to BHQ. I Don't think they're at dealers yet.
archangel

Post by archangel »

I won't even try to find out if mine's a modified or an original design. My Southard flipps real nice. :)
Michael
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

62Mini wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:41 pm
I just bought one from BHQ and requested the new revised version. it came in today and its the old design. The marking on the box for the date are LP so Dec. 2016. looks like this one is going back to BHQ. I Don't think they're at dealers yet.
Hi, 62Mini:
The date code cannot be used as a reliable reference as to whether or not you received an original or the revised Advocate. Here's an image I posted back in January that should help you distinguish between the two.
Advocate_Bronze_CloseUp4.png
Advocate_Bronze_CloseUp4.png (238.59 KiB) Viewed 4785 times
Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.