Current Knife Laws Denmark

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ibflyin

Current Knife Laws Denmark

Post by ibflyin »

Hey guys! I'm moving to Denmark next month and I need to confirm what the current knife laws are because I have a few spydies I want to bring with me. I've been googling like crazy trying to find the actual legislation/law but can't find a thing except for a couple articles like these two that say locking one handed opening knives are now legal.
http://knifenews.com/changing-danish-kn ... om-makers/
http://everydaycarry.com/posts/15506/ne ... in-denmark

When I spoke to the Danish consulate in Australia they couldn't confirm the current laws and said to contact the Danish Police and Customs which I should probably do anyway but any help to confirm the current laws with a link to the actual laws would be awesome!
SpyderScout

Re: Current Knife Laws Denmark

Post by SpyderScout »

Denmark has for years glanced at the knife laws of countries like England, Germany etc ... and then lately twisted the screw a few turns more.

With the latest revision of the knife law, you can now own one handed opening knives (prior to the latest knife law, these were illigal).

Now for the clincher; where it used to be legal to carry a non-locking, THO under 7cm (think SAK) 24-7, it is now illegal to EDC ANY blade what so ever ....

You cant carry a knife UNLESS its for a specific purpose; go to the woods to whittle a stick and straight back home = legal.

Sporting purposes, hunting, scouts, hobby etc = legal

You cant how ever make a detour: If you go shopping on the way home from say hunting and you are caught with a knife on the belt in a 7-11, this translates into problems with the law.

Dont walk the city with a knife clipped to your pocket. No EDC.
You have to have a specific purpose to carry a knife.

There are 'frisk/pat down zones' in major cities.
Dont chance it. Knife climate is not healthy.

Get a blade permit for knives with blades over 12cm - the permit is free. You download the form from the police website and send it in.

tl; dr You can bring your standard OHO Spyderco knives , you just cant EDC them.

Caveat; as in several other countries in Europe, you cant legally own butterfly knives, spring activated knives, push daggers, sword canes etc in Denmark.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What would happen if a modern European nation like Denmark said "Our people, we want to be like our ancestors were back in the 1800s. You can legally carry any knife you want, daggers, hunting knives, anything." ?
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Sadly any sort of democratic resistance/uprising against laws like that, have been bred out of Danes and indeed most Western European nations.

Ironically, with the exeption of France; people representing rural regions and hunting - (and hunting is big in France) in 1985 said 'enough is enough' and founded a political party to have the best interest of - amongst others- hunters at heart (a party ment to be for the people in rural regions of France).

The party is called:
Hunting, Fishing, Nature, Tradition (French: Chasse, pêche, nature et traditions).

As most sensible people know, knife laws like the one in Denmark only hurt law abiding people - the criminals scoff.

The law should be that, the USE of a knife would be punished severely, depending on circumstance.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

That helps explain and clarify this a lot, SpyderScout, thank you.

Regarding France, yeah, infact, a Frenchman who is into knives (loves both their traditionals like Opinels and also Spyderco) told me that in France and Spain and even to a large extent in Italy, in those regions, a lot of local people have knives ingrained as part of their cultural identity, and so the knife will remain a part of them as long as they continue to exist as people, and, in a sense that makes their knife rights protected.

I also agree with you that what should be punished is the bad use or abuse of a knife against people and property, such as a murderer or a vandal, and just owning and carrying a particular knife should not be what is legislated against. Go against the abuse and misuse of the item, the ACTION of the person, NOT the item itself.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:That helps explain and clarify this a lot, SpyderScout, thank you.

Regarding France, yeah, infact, a Frenchman who is into knives (loves both their traditionals like Opinels and also Spyderco) told me that in France and Spain and even to a large extent in Italy, in those regions, a lot of local people have knives ingrained as part of their cultural identity, and so the knife will remain a part of them as long as they continue to exist as people, and, in a sense that makes their knife rights protected.

I also agree with you that what should be punished is the bad use or abuse of a knife against people and property, such as a murderer or a vandal, and just owning and carrying a particular knife should not be what is legislated against. Go against the abuse and misuse of the item, the ACTION of the person, NOT the item itself.
here in Spain there's lots of knife nuts (just look at the thousands of members of Spanish knife, axe, and edged tool forums, hunting forums, etc. :cool: ) but due to our draconian and absurd laws most of us limit the carry, use and show of the blades to personal spaces, outdoor activities...
and due to the current, super strict legislation (especially in cities) we only expose, share and talk about knives to other people who are into it ;) , and mostly on forums/facebook/the Internet...

sad but true,
Europe is getting pussied in too many ways and way too fast :(

regarding the second bolded part, it's the logical thing to do.
We don't ban people carrying guns with their CCW permits, we don't punish people using and "carrying" their cars and vehicles around and we don't disturb carpenters in the street who are repairing roofs with their hammers,

we only apply the law and restriction when these people shoot at others, when they run over pedestrians or hit somebody else in the head with such hammer,
why not the same with knives??! :confused: