Delica 5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ippon

Re: Delica 5

Post by Ippon »

I love the concept of the delica 4. I have owned 3 now, sold them all. I like the knife a lot. The you get an awesome cutting tool for the price. The problem is those stupid finger groves. They hit my fingers in all the wrong places, and then my pinky finger ends up falling half way off of the handle. So if we got that fixed I'd be all over the delica, especially in some ZDP.
Holland

Post by Holland »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I would like one with thinner stock myself.

1.8mm sounds good to me :D
Me too!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
cangokaw

Post by cangokaw »

no liner salt 2 handle,
wire clip,
move lock forward to where old delica 2/salt 1 was.
old volcano grip pattern, or ukpk grip texture.
2 or 2.5 mm ffg.
rivy

Post by rivy »

Finger choil where the unused space i where the blade and handle meet, deep wire clip, thicker stock (just a bit) which would make the back lock a little thicker too which is more about comfort than strength (think N5/E4). Speaking of the native 5... a swedge like that on the spine would be pretty great.
kvdo

Post by kvdo »

Ippon wrote:I love the concept of the delica 4. I have owned 3 now, sold them all. I like the knife a lot. The you get an awesome cutting tool for the price. The problem is those stupid finger groves. They hit my fingers in all the wrong places, and then my pinky finger ends up falling half way off of the handle. So if we got that fixed I'd be all over the delica, especially in some ZDP.
Agreed. The handle should have a continuous curve like the centofante and fits everyone's hands, rather than those finger grooves that only fit some people's hands.

The pocket clip placement also bothers me, since it creates a hotspot where my index finger lands. If they gave it a slightly shorter clip and removed the finger grooves, that'd be enough to be a Delica 5 for me.
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

If the Delica 5 becomes a thing, I rather hope it's made in the USA or in Taichung factories where better value seems possible, so that the price can either drop back closer to where it was, or at the very least, the base model steel can rise up to match the new price tag.

Also, I'd love to see a metal back-lock spring holder/backspacer rather than FRN (as in the FRN Chaparral), for a huge improvement in disassembly. And, of course, #TeamChoil
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

NickShabazz wrote:If the Delica 5 becomes a thing, I rather hope it's made in the USA or in Taichung factories where better value seems possible, so that the price can either drop back closer to where it was, or at the very least, the base model steel can rise up to match the new price tag.

Also, I'd love to see a metal back-lock spring holder/backspacer rather than FRN (as in the FRN Chaparral), for a huge improvement in disassembly. And, of course, #TeamChoil
and, Mr.Shabazz, what if it were made in China?
At a lower price, with Spyderco supervising a tight QC, materials and a good final product?

Dangerously close to the Byrd line and conflicting with the budget offerings (Ambitious, Tenacious...) or not a problem :confused:

I'd like to hear your opinion on that
Thanks! :spyder:
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

ThePeacent wrote: and, Mr.Shabazz, what if it were made in China?
At a lower price, with Spyderco supervising a tight QC, materials and a good final product?

Dangerously close to the Byrd line and conflicting with the budget offerings (Ambitious, Tenacious...) or not a problem :confused:

I don't have a strong sense of what would conflict with various offerings in their lineup, and where that's a bad idea or not. I'm not involved in their bookkeeping, I'm just a random jack-person. For me, the Chinese lineup isn't super inspiring, as they tend to be a step down in steel quality (even relative to what Chinese makers are using these days), the value isn't there relative to other made-in-China brands (particularly in 2018), and the QC/Materials/Final product don't tend to equal even the Seki FRN models. So if something landed which put the Tenacious etc. line out of contention, I wouldn't shed any tears. But that said, I have no problem with Chinese manufacturing, so if they found a Chinese OEM which could match (and ideally exceed) Seki on steel choice and build quality in a new Delica, all while dropping the price, that'd be great.

(... and while we're dreaming, I'd love a unicorn carrying a Slysz Swayback and a duffle bag full of unmarked $100 bills. :D )
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

NickShabazz wrote:
ThePeacent wrote: and, Mr.Shabazz, what if it were made in China?

I don't have a strong sense of what would conflict with various offerings in their lineup, and where that's a bad idea or not. I'm not involved in their bookkeeping, I'm just a random jack-person. For me, the Chinese lineup isn't super inspiring, as they tend to be a step down in steel quality (even relative to what Chinese makers are using these days), the value isn't there relative to other made-in-China brands (particularly in 2018), and the QC/Materials/Final product don't tend to equal even the Seki FRN models. So if something landed which put the Tenacious etc. line out of contention, I wouldn't shed any tears. But that said, I have no problem with Chinese manufacturing, so if they found a Chinese OEM which could match (and ideally exceed) Seki on steel choice and build quality in a new Delica, all while dropping the price, that'd be great.

(... and while we're dreaming, I'd love a unicorn carrying a Slysz Swayback and a duffle bag full of unmarked $100 bills. :D )
I appreciate your answer, it's always thought provoking (as your videos are!) and I find much truth in your words about other Chinese offerings catching up, especially nowadays. :rolleyes:

I also think we're not far away from the day Chinese companies will reach Japan-manufacturing level, and maybe out them out of the game
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Jeffmcmullen9807 wrote:OP
How many D4s do you own? The 10 plus D4s I have are happy the way they are. All my D3s are cool as well. A lot of these needs can be resolved with loads of options in the current line up. Just get one of those and rename it Delica.

Jeff
Pretty much this. If we took all of the “please make X more like Y” threads and blended them all together we’d end up with a boring knife in an expensive steel that resembled a cheap folding steak knife.
But if I was forced to make a wishlist for a Delica 5, for me it would resemble a Delica 3 in HAP40. :D
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Ok guys, ask for whatever you want but don't break what isn't broken:
No choils please, there are plenty of knives with choils to choose from.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

tonijedi wrote:Ok guys, ask for whatever you want but don't break what isn't broken:
No choils please, there are plenty of knives with choils to choose from.
100% agree.The Delica4 is perfect as it is IMO. I'd like they grind it thinner behind the edge though.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
edgecentricity

Post by edgecentricity »

Reading the comments, I see the idea of adding a choil to the Delica is contentious, but I wouldn't be averse to it -- I find myself choking up on the handle as though there were a choil there. I think it would add a lot of functionality. Also, make the handle shape more neutral. Those finger humps certainly do lock the hand in place, but don't leave a lot of wiggle room. A more acute tip would be nice, as would a blade slightly thinner behind the edge, and an optional deep carry clip (really, with every Spyderco model, though I've read that Sal hasn't brought one to market because he doesn't want to hurt the business of aftermarket clip makers).

The FRN is nice and grippy, but options for more premium materials -- G10, Micarta -- would be good to see.
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

I still don't quite understand the reason against the finger choil. All it does is add functionality to an otherwise non-functional space. Seems every knife should have it.
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mikev88, Cangokaw, KVDO, edgecentricity,

Welcome to our forum.

Hey Nick,

Thanx for the comments.

Hi TriggerThumb,

There are many that just do not like finger choils. More than you'd think in the general market.

sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote: There are many that just do not like finger choils. More than you'd think in the general market.

sal
I am one of them. :D :eek: :spyder:

All depends on the model though and how big it is, but that's a personal choice.
Caustic Dick

Post by Caustic Dick »

A bigger pivot bolt. Like the one on the Military.
Don't get bit by your Spyderco........
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I like the D4 the way it is! spyderco offers other designs with other names in this size. Get a Sage or Chapparal or Native or Native LW or GB or...
The D4 is a very ergonomic knife that comes close to a one size fits all handle. It is lightweight and grippy. I don't like VG10 particularly, but some of the sprints are better options for my preferences anyway. It ain't broke, don't fix it. If you make anything more than subtle changes, it is a different knife. See above for other options that happen to have other names :)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Reading the various responses long after I originated this thread and having had more Delica experience, I would say that improvements, or changes, I would appreciate are a thinner blade to increase slicing ability, a model with a very sharp point and a more comfortable pocket clip, possibly a wire clip. I don’t really miss having a choil, can live with the current design without one, but it would be nice. Not a big deal for me either way.

I have found that the handle shape, size and texture are almost perfect for my hand. I did often carry it without the clip because it interfered with the excellent ergonomics and feel of the handle. I eventually moved it next to the pivot where it contacted my hand the least when using the knife. There it still performed to keep the knife secure in my pocket, but was mostly out of the way when I actually set about using the knife.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

I can see changing to a wire clip similar to that of the Dragonfly. That wouldn't alter the character of the knife, and to me would be an improvement.

If I were redesigning it for myself, I'd want more drastic change, including a finger choil and thicker handle. However, lots of knife owners love the Delica as is. The 2016 KnifeNews survey listed the Delica as the #4 most indispensable pocket knife, only ranked behind the PM2 among Spydercos. Maybe that sentiment will change as prices rise, but it means the Delica's a big hit as currently configured.

Myself, I much prefer a Chaparral or Native 5. The Delica doesn't work for me ergonomically, but clearly it does for many.
Jim