Spyderco Archaeology

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Hattori Hanzo

Spyderco Archaeology

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

“And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth.”

--Lady Galadriel [opening narration], The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001 film directed by Peter Jackson, based on the book, The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien [1954]).

This thread is for documenting and memorializing with pictures all things Spyderco that have become obscure over the passage of time and/or have been all but forgotten, save for an elect few. Since many of these “artifacts” are unmarked, viz., they bear neither writing nor emblem of any kind, I feel it is imperative to identify them. Left silent and uncovered, you could actually stumble across these treasures at garage sales, thrift stores, “dollar bins” at gun shows, etc., and never acquire them, not realizing what you had before you. Often times the people selling these things do not have a clue what they have either, and will eventually toss them.

Thus, given the nature of such obscure Spyderco artifacts, I decided to title this thread, “Spyderco Archaeology”, rather than “History”, because locating these gems will often require actual digging! (I had to dig through thirty years of storage just to find a few examples to post!)

Please post what you have to contribute to this thread.

Happy hunting!

H2
Last edited by Hattori Hanzo on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
He who walks in the company of fools suffers a long way; company with fools, like an enemy, is always painful; company with the wise is pleasure, like meeting with kinsfolk. Therefore, one ought to follow the wise, the intelligent, the learned, the much enduring, the dutiful, the elect; one ought to follow a good and wise man as the moon follows the path of the stars.

--Buddha, The Dhammapada, Chapter XV, Verses 207-208.
Hattori Hanzo

Re: Spyderco Archaeology

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

First Spyderco Production Sheaths for Fixed Blades?

Circa 1985, Spyderco released product #: 1106-SH, which was a synthetic sheath for the Kitchen Sharps 6" Filet Knife (#: 1106), which was listed in the catalog. At that time, the company also made and sold such a sheath for the Kitchen Sharps 6.5" Utility Knife (#: 1104); however, I have not been able to locate any evidence of it in any dealer order forms or catalogs. I presume it would have been designated as #: 1104-SH. I also do not know whether they produced a sheath for the 6" Boning Knife (#: 1107), which I presume would have been designated as #: 1107-SH. Note: Upon comparison, the 1104-SH is NOT compatible with either the Filet Knife or the Boning Knife. I doubt the 1106-SH would have been a perfect fit for the 1107 due to the close tolerances of the 1104-SH and the different blade geometry between the 1106 and 1107. (To illustrate how close the tolerance was in the 1104-SH, I purposely placed the sheath on the first 1104 correctly, and incorrectly on the lower 1104 -- note the sizeable gap between handle and sheath!)

Here are a few photos.

Will post more things as time permits.

H2
He who walks in the company of fools suffers a long way; company with fools, like an enemy, is always painful; company with the wise is pleasure, like meeting with kinsfolk. Therefore, one ought to follow the wise, the intelligent, the learned, the much enduring, the dutiful, the elect; one ought to follow a good and wise man as the moon follows the path of the stars.

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

That's awesome, I was unaware of these sheaths! I'd love to see more. I might have something to contribute later this month.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

Thanks, Mr. Blonde. I am eager to see what things you might have to post! I will definitely post more artifacts when I can find time to spare.

Cheers,

H2

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Amazing and excellent pictures and posts!
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

Thanks, SEF. I will be posting something new in a day or two.

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Awesome thread! Really enjoy reading this. Please keep it coming! :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

SpyderNut wrote:Awesome thread! Really enjoy reading this. Please keep it coming! :)
I presume you have been "good" this year, SpyderNut, as Santa said to post something cool for you as a Christmas present. Haha. Here you go...

First Spyderco Kitchen Knife Block!

Circa 1985, Spyderco sold, in addition to their Kitchen Sharps line of kitchen knives, a beautiful "Hardwood Butcher Block" (#: 1110-6) that was custom-made for the company by a cabinet maker in Colorado. In addition to the butcher block, you could also buy a Kitchen Sharps knife set that was custom tailored to fit each slot in the butcher block (#: 1111).

As to the butcher block, it has no markings on it whatsoever (no logo, writing, or markings of any kind). However, it has a bulletproof provenance by virtue of a tiny photo of it in an old catalog. (N.B., Sal also made a circular knife block at that time, which stood on edge, and resembled a sun of sorts, with the knives radiating around the circumference like rays. Regrettably, I never got one, as it seemed a bit too avant-garde for me. [I imagine the Germans would have eagerly embraced its fast, forward design.])

As to the Kitchen Sharps set with the butcher block (#: 1111), it consisted of the following knives, to wit:
1. #: 1101 - 10.5" Bread Knife;
2. #: 1102 - 9.5" Cook's Knife;
3. #: 1103 - 8" Carving Knife;
4. #: 1104 - 6.5" Utility Knife;
5. #: 1105 - 4.5" Paring Knife; and
6. #: 1106 - 6" Fillet Knife.

(Although, for one of my sets I swapped out the Filet for the Boning [#: 1107] instead.)

Here are a few photos:

Hope everyone enjoyed this post. Now you know what to be on the lookout for at garage sales and such.

Happy Holidays all,

H2

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

These are pretty amazing artifacts.

I think this qualifies as part of 'all things Spyderco that have become obscure over the passage of time and/or have been all but forgotten, save for an elect few...'

https://youtu.be/fSAXXjDxUgo

The Mosquito was never officially offered. It appears to have been an experiment made from a small batch of Ladybugs and shared with employees/friends. A little forum digging will garner more info, I've also added my notes here.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

Mr Blonde wrote:These are pretty amazing artifacts.

I think this qualifies as part of 'all things Spyderco that have become obscure over the passage of time and/or have been all but forgotten, save for an elect few...'

https://youtu.be/fSAXXjDxUgo

The Mosquito was never officially offered. It appears to have been an experiment made from a small batch of Ladybugs and shared with employees/friends. A little forum digging will garner more info, I've also added my notes here.

Greetings Mr. Blonde,

Yes, "The Mosquito" absolutely belongs in this thread! Wow! That is an amazing acquisition! Thank you very much for sharing it! I have only seen one of them prior, and did not even know it had a name. I thought it was a one-off. I appreciate the education.

BTW, incidentally, over the course of a decade, I have slowly hand-ground a Victorinox butcher knife into a giant proboscis, which bears some similarities with The Mosquito, except every edge is sharp. Accordingly, I named it, "The Heart Attacker". Here's a photo of it with a Ladybug for scale. Haha.

I am very much looking forward to your next contribution to this thread!

Cheers,

H2

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Hattori Hanzo wrote: I am very much looking forward to your next contribution to this thread!

Cheers,

H2
Thank you, but I'm afraid I don't have much truly 'old and obscure' stuff, especially not contributions that could match your caliber!
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote: I am very much looking forward to your next contribution to this thread!

Cheers,

H2
Thank you, but I'm afraid I don't have much truly 'old and obscure' stuff, especially not contributions that could match your caliber!
Greetings Mr. Blonde,

You are far too modest. We both know you always have your ears and eyes open for obscure, rare, and collectible Spyderco items. It is simply a matter of time before you acquire another treasure to add to your trove.

As for me, I will be posting in a week or so an interesting piece of what I believe to be ancient Spyderco company history...

Cheers,

H2

KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

I really wish that I would have seen this thread while the pictures were still displaying properly. Hattori, if you happen to be lurking at all these days and could repost that would be fantastic. I am a big fan of obscure :spyder: and would love to see this one come back to life