Spyderco Paysan

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Spyderco Paysan

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Earlier today Peter Rassenti shared photos of the Spyderco Paysan. I tried to upload them but imgur will only let me load a single image for some reason. Perhaps someone else can try to post the others or you could go to his Instagram page to see them.

It looks gorgeous!

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
holeshot

Re: Spyderco Paysan

Post by holeshot »

Absolutely drop dead gorgeous! I'm in!
"No matter where you go, there you are"
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Gorgeous. I don’t even want to know the price.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Do you know any details? Is it a constructed like the Nirvana (all one piece)?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

TomAiello wrote:Do you know any details? Is it a constructed like the Nirvana (all one piece)?
Yes it’s an integral. From the images on instagram it looks like it’s S90V as well.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Hot dang! Taichung stonewash is back!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Liquid Cobra wrote: Perhaps someone else can try to post the others or you could go to his Instagram page to see them.
The fourth photo doesn't seem to be loading for me, but here are two others.
-Nick :bug-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm so down to buy one.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Wow! That is gorgeous! a must have! Price doesn’t matter haha
Josh
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Really beautiful knife, not sure the clip does it justice? With the lines on this knife, the clip almost looks out of place. Imho something a bit more angular (not rounded) would better suit this knife.
Last edited by Tdog on Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like the blade shape on the Nirvana better but I like everything else about this one more. Looks like a winner.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Agreed, nice looking piece but the blade shape doesn't do anything for me, maybe a regrind would do it.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I like the blade shape on the Nirvana better but I like everything else about this one more. Looks like a winner.
Likewise. I wanted to pick up a Nirvana, what with it being Spyderco's first integral and all, but ultimately held off on it because I didn't care for the bead blast. But the Paysan is absolutely gorgeous. I do prefer the drop point on the Nirvana but boy is that an elegant sheepsfoot.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

farnorthdan wrote:Agreed, nice looking piece but the blade shape doesn't do anything for me, maybe a regrind would do it.
I’ve already been playing with drawings for regrinding the spine/tip if I get one.

Does anyone know if the grind on this is flat or hollow? It looks like flat but hollow would be nice on this design imo.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

looks flat to me, but it could be a gradual hollow.
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Very nice!

David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Actually, this piece is closer in shape to the Druid that i have been wanting since I first saw it. I like this package alot more than the Nirvana. I'd be interested, provided I can afford it when they release
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

curlyhairedboy wrote:looks flat to me, but it could be a gradual hollow.
Actually I thought it to be a "sabre grind"? It is a most interesting Wharnie to be sure.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

JD Spydo wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:looks flat to me, but it could be a gradual hollow.
Actually I thought it to be a "sabre grind"? It is a most interesting Wharnie to be sure.
My understanding of a saber grind is leaving the stock thick and only grinding half of the blade down to the edge, in contrast to a full grind

I'm happy to be corrected, but from what I know the usual "full flat grind" terminology specifies both the height of the grind as well as the geometry.

So a full flat grind is full height, and flat

A full hollow would be full height, and hollow

A sabre flat would be half height, and flat

A sabre hollow would be half height, and hollow.

I expect the paysan is one of the last two.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

xceptnl wrote:Actually, this piece is closer in shape to the Druid that i have been wanting since I first saw it. I like this package alot more than the Nirvana. I'd be interested, provided I can afford it when they release
Really? Because it clearly is his Paysan model and looks nothing like his Druid. Perhaps you’re referring to his original Druids? They looked a lot different than they do now. The original druids has an oval opening hole. Hisdruids now are all flippers with no holes.

@liquid_cobra