Knife lubricant

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mlnarik

Knife lubricant

Post by Mlnarik »

I need to oil the washers of my tenacious, i have wd-40 and household oil, which would be the best to use
Whitetail addict

Re: Knife lubricant

Post by Whitetail addict »

Nano oil is thr best ive used 10w
@martial_logan on the instagram.
atv223

Post by atv223 »

Mlnarik wrote:I need to oil the washers of my tenacious, i have wd-40 and household oil, which would be the best to use
Those are quite possibly the worst 2 options. wd-40 is a poor lubricant and household (3 in 1) will gum up over time. If you use it for food prep, mineral oil. Otherwise there are a lot of good synthetic or petroleum based lubes that work well.
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Benchmade Bluelube! My local knife store has some on hand and I've bought it from Knives Ship free for about $10! Works well!
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

WD40 is not a lubricant.
WD stands for "water displacing" and its main use is as a solvent or rust dissolver. The lubricant-like properties of WD-40 come not from the substance itself, but from dissolving components. And the effect doesn't last. WD-40 can be a good substance to start with — it can help clean up rust or other grime
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I don't eat with folders and use NycoLube 127 on knives. I can't fault it and I've not found anything to rival it.

About six months or more ago I pulled apart my DigiCam S30V Millie and cleaned it up. I'd been playing with the drag on a fishing reel too and the little tub of Shimano Ace-2 drag grease I used was close handy so I thought I'd give it a go on the Millie's pivot and washers. So I did!

I used it most sparingly in the blades pivot hole, pin and both sides of the washes and reassembled the knife. To say it's smooth is an understatement and it's still going strong like I just lubed it. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

Bloke wrote:I don't eat with folders and use NycoLube 127 on knives. I can't fault it and I've not found anything to rival it.

About six months or more ago I pulled apart my DigiCam S30V Millie and cleaned it up. I'd been playing with the drag on a fishing reel too and the little tub of Shimano Ace-2 drag grease I used was close handy so I thought I'd give it a go on the Millie's pivot and washers. So I did!

I used it most sparingly in the blades pivot hole, pin and both sides of the washes and reassembled the knife. To say it's smooth is an understatement and it's still going strong like I just lubed it. :)
I've heard that the goo in a kangaroos pouch is the best lube out there. If you decide to try it, please video it for all of us to enjoy.

By the way, only live, angry kangaroos have the best goo... :D
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I've used ballistol for guns and knives for at least 25 years. Interesting history and very useful properties.

https://ballistol.com/about-us/
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

BrianMcCord wrote:I've heard that the goo in a kangaroos pouch is the best lube out there. If you decide to try it, please video it for all of us to enjoy.

By the way, only live, angry kangaroos have the best goo... :D
Ah, hahaha! :)

You're a kook! :p
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Just stay away from the Dropbears. Apparently DropBear urine is the world's best lubricant. But it's far too dangerous to try to collect it, so it's incredibly rare.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :)

You blokes are on fire! :cool:
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

Bloke wrote:Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :)

You blokes are on fire! :cool:
...like a raging bush fire (a bush fire is something COMPLETELY different here :p )

Thanks for being a good sport, Bloke.
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

Another vote for 10-weight Nano Oil.
Jim
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I like Quick Release.. John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

+1 for Nano Oil
jacala

Post by jacala »

I'm currently trying Sentry Solutions Tuf Glide (Rust Inhibitor and Lubricant)on a couple of my Spydies.
Opinions are welcome from anyone who's tried it or using it ?.
Thanks.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Royal Purple Synfilm and Weapon Shield are some of my favorites for the pivot.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've used Tuf Glide a lot. Pretty much all my non-stainless blades get it. I like it, but I'm using it more as a protectant than a lubricant.
Germinalphrase

Post by Germinalphrase »

Never used it on knives - but the firearms lubricant Froglube is supposedly edible.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you're seriously in a pinch for lube, go out to your car and pull the oil dipstick out and let it drip into the pivot. I prefer bearing grease or Vaseline but you have to take the knife apart for that.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David