Help me decide.....Delica 4 SE or Salt 2 SE ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
johnson

Help me decide.....Delica 4 SE or Salt 2 SE ?

Post by johnson »

Hi everybody. I Want to buy one of these knives. The small weight difference is not an issue. Being rust proof will be a bonus but is not a necessity. So basically it comes down to what steel choice in SE will be the better option to maintain it's sharpness and use as a EDC knive. Cutting chores will not be heavy duty at all. Generally only cutting boxes, parcels, straps and some light food prep maybe. All advice and suggestions welcome. Thanks.
zhyla

Re: Help me decide.....Delica 4 SE or Salt 2 SE ?

Post by zhyla »

That's an interesting question. You will hear that H-1 is amazing in SE. I have no H-1 experience but I feel like if it were superior to VG-10 they would be rolling it out in non-Salt knives.

I like the Salt 2 aesthetically.

Probably a better choice than either would be a Native 5 FRN SE. FFG is a big win against cardboard and S35VN is a great steel.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

If you are talking serrated, H1 all the way. Get a sharpmaker to go with it, never look back :D :spyder:
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
FWR132

Post by FWR132 »

A sharpmaker is a must ! Had that before I even got a Spyderco knife! Showed a buddy how effective it works, and he got one himself!

I'd honestly say get the H1 because as youve said, it's a bonus :)
From my heart to yours,
Nigel
Brunei Darussalam

Current
Tenacious
Para Military 2

On the way
Endura 4
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Unless you need the corrosion resistance you may not notice the difference between edge retention. The biggest difference can be found in blade grind, if you can find a Delica in FFG/SE it will slice far better than the Salt. The current Delica wharnie is offered in FFG/SE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wharnie Delica in SE is a terrific riper.Your best bet IMO.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

elena86 wrote:Wharnie Delica in SE is a terrific riper.Your best bet IMO.
Evil D wrote:Unless you need the corrosion resistance you may not notice the difference between edge retention. The biggest difference can be found in blade grind, if you can find a Delica in FFG/SE it will slice far better than the Salt. The current Delica wharnie is offered in FFG/SE.
I agree with these guys.
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Salt for sure in serrated edge. It work hardens the more you use it and stay sharp for a very long time. Just keeps going. I like the black blade black frn serrated salt models. they look amazing and the serrated h1 is great. i really wish they would make the dragonfly salt in this combo.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

Salt. Better edge holding, lighter, rust proof, and IIRC larger opening hole.
:unicorn
johnson

Post by johnson »

zhyla wrote:That's an interesting question. You will hear that H-1 is amazing in SE. I have no H-1 experience but I feel like if it were superior to VG-10 they would be rolling it out in non-Salt knives.

I like the Salt 2 aesthetically.

Probably a better choice than either would be a Native 5 FRN SE. FFG is a big win against cardboard and S35VN is a great steel.
Agree with the aesthetics of the Salt 2, it's a good looking knife. Native 5 is not an option because i'm looking for a thinner blade (2.5mm).
johnson

Post by johnson »

Evil D wrote:Unless you need the corrosion resistance you may not notice the difference between edge retention. The biggest difference can be found in blade grind, if you can find a Delica in FFG/SE it will slice far better than the Salt. The current Delica wharnie is offered in FFG/SE.
Delica with FFG/SE will be an awsome knife. Not available as far as I know though. I Belief the wharnie will be an awsome knife as well but I'm not a fan of the blade shape. I Did see there is a Dragonfly in VG-10 FFG/SE. Sadly not an option because I carry my knifes tip down only. Personal preference can be a ***** sometimes :confused:
elena86

Post by elena86 »

johnson wrote:
Delica with FFG/SE will be an awsome knife. Not available as far as I know though. I Belief the wharnie will be an awsome knife as well but I'm not a fan of the blade shape. I Did see there is a Dragonfly in VG-10 FFG/SE. Sadly not an option because I carry my knifes tip down only. Personal preference can be a ***** sometimes :confused:
Wharnie Delica ffg/SE IS AVAILABLE !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

elena86 wrote: Wharnie Delica ffg/SE IS AVAILABLE !
OP isn't asking for a wharncliffe blade though.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Well the good news here is we are comparing two(or 3) excellent knives. Either way OP wins :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Either will serve you well. Delica has Steel liners and more color options. Salt 2 is easier to keep clean and has the added benefit of being fully rust proof. You probably won’t notice a big difference in edge retention but H1 is considered best in class when it comes to serrated edges. Personally I would go with the Salt 2.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I would also go Salt 2,
because it lacks parts to rust (less maintenance, less weight) and H1 SE is just so nice, an the fact that the hole is bigger, something that makes a difference in use to me
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I think my next spyderco will be the Salt 2.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If you want SE, go with the Salt.
johnson

Post by johnson »

Thanks for all the opinions and advice. I Just pulled the trigger and ordered a yellow Salt 2 SE :D Now for the wait.......two weeks can be a **** of a long time !
johnson

Post by johnson »

My :spyder: Salt 2 SE arrived and it is awesome :)
salt2(1).jpg
salt 2(2).jpg