Hiking, survival, all around utility

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Re: Hiking, survival, all around utility

Post by elena86 »

The Mora-Opinel combo is a great idea. Both dirt cheap but both reliable.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Telp,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
animportant

Post by animportant »

The waterway will be the best all around Spyderco utility blade IMO. You could grab a Mora companion HD now and check out the waterway when it releases.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

First of all "TELP" I wish you a warm welcome to the Spyderville Forum :) One big recommendation I could give you for a fixed blade which just happens to be my all time favorite Spyderco fixed blade is the long ago discontinued TEMPERANCE 1 model. It was one of the few Spyderco fixed blades you could get in plain edge and Spyderedge both. I use both my TEMP 1 models at least 2 to 4 times a week and have used them ever since I got them back around 2004-2005. They are tough to find now-a-days but they do show up from time to time. I've tried many times but so far with no luck to get Spyderco to make a Sprint Run of the TEMP 1 model in one of the Nitrogen based steels like H-1 or LC200N but so far it hasn't happened.

Now my second pick of a fixed blade would be the SOUTHFORK. The Endura you mentioned would be a great all around general purpose knife but I would get the plain edged model and also get one in full Spyderedge as well. Trust me you'll find needed uses for both edge types. Glad to have you aboard the Spyderville Forum :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

elena86 wrote:The Mora-Opinel combo is a great idea. Both dirt cheap but both reliable.
If you're going to recommend a model other than a Spyderco model I would have to mention the Frost Mora with the Sandvik stainless steel blade. That's the best bang for your buck if you're trying to be economical. But again I would ten times rather see our new member TELP with a Spyderco TEMPERANCE 1 model or even a SOUTHFORK for that matter.
spambait11

Post by spambait11 »

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Telp, I think I would also take a look at the Bill Moran knives from Spyderco. They are light in weight and that is something to consider when back packing. The Mora would do fine, as well. An Esee Izula would be a good smaller fixed blade choice. It can be carried in a pocket or on a belt.

I would pair the choice of a fixed blade with a good Victorinox of some sort.

However, some countries frown on even Vics so you might need to look at a Pingo.

Finally, I would check the knife laws of each country I planned to travel through.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

Telp wrote:Hey, thanks for all the replies everyone. I will most likely have my Endura on me as well but the morakniv looks like a fantastic blade and one that I will not shy away from scuffing for the first time. That's a good point about the different knife regulations throughout so I will definitely read up on that.

Also how do you feel about the fact that the knife is not full tang?

Is there a sharpening system that you all prefer that I can throw into my panniers without worrying about breaking it?
Sandpaper folds up small and doesn't weigh a thing, that's what I use.

I've never had issues with hidden tang knives. I've used them just as hard as full tang knives. Moras, Aqua Salt, etc.
:unicorn
JT

Post by JT »

Welcome to the forum!

As far as Finland goes, laws are quite simple. Nothing is allowed to carry, UNLESS you have a valid reason. On your person that is. In your backpack it is fine.
So, out and about camping, hiking etc you can carry a fixed blade or a folder no broblems. You "need" it as a camping/foodprep-tool then, obviously.
In stores, public places, etc etc, just put your knife in your backpack.

for a cheap combo, I´d take a leatheman of sorts, it can be handy if you're biking anyways. And then a cheap Mora,and your Endura.
And no question about it, get the Aqua Salt if you want a reliable all around affordable Spyderco FB.

Sharpening stone, anything will do, just as long as you can sharpen your knives freehand. I'd get something from Spyderco, or a DMT card stone or something.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Hi and welcome, TELP!
FIrst of all, I'm with SEF and Vivi in that my favorite do it all Spyderco Fixed Blade for hiking, traveling and country trips would be my Aqua Salt. Has it all, low maintenance and high quality, and affordable.

But if I were visiting Europe (where I currently live, I am from Spain) I'd not bring it with me due to fear of loss/confiscation. Laws are very strict in many EU countries, and I'd rather bring a reliable but very inexpensive fixed blade with me, most likely a Mora Companion.
They can be easily found in most Spanish and French cutlery stores in my experience and I guess in other EU countries too. :cool:

Carried in a non-open, non aggressive way would be prudent and recommended, even if the law permits carrying small fixed knives (like in Germany) it is not advisable especially in cities.

even then, I'd recommend a SAK or Multitool before I'd do a fixed blade, as single blade tools are frowned upon by most people and in most places here, whereas multi-purpose tools get more approval and are seen as friendly more often. :o
Easier to explain to an officer or agent too, especially if you're a visitor/hiker/traveller

the cheap fixed blades above were carried due to their low, affordable price ($5) and still rugged construction and sharp, easy maintenance steel

I've travelled around the EU a bit and most times I bought a Opinel on my way through france, and brought a SAK and/or inexpensive Multitool (LM Wingman most times) with me when crossing borders. Never had a problem ;)

if you want to carry a do-it-all affordable Spyderco folder, my pick would be the Pacific Salt above, very similar to your Endura but with slightly less weight penalty and more forgiving steel/maintenance

Have a very nice trip, mate!! :spyder:
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I believe you are allowed to carry knives other than 3" non-locking if you have adequate reason to need it in the UK, but I'm not sure.
(also if you be biking I presume you would have those knives packed in luggage on your bike most of the time instead of carrying them on your person although you'd also want to check how that is considered by law..)
If I would hit the road in Europe by bike I'd just bring a fixed blade/folder and possibly a lightweight tomahawk and presume that police are not gonna search me for being a cyclist and if they would it wouldn't sound too weird to carry that sort of gear. There is ofcourse always a risk of getting stuff taken.
I agree the Aqua Salt and the Street Bowie being good options although you'd definitely want to be able to sharpen on the road with an H1 blade.
Mora's are also great users and I think for instance the Fallkniven F1 and the Cold Steel Master Hunter are some pretty good knives for travel as well.

I won't be hitting the road again soon so if I would have to pick a fixed blade now it could be the Ankerson/Sanders bowie that's not out yet. Might just become one of my favorite travel knives! :D

PS: I don't think an Enuff is very good on the road because you'll end up using your knife very much for eating/food prep and a longer blade is much more usefull. Endura will do great for food, I mainly used a Stretch 2 on my last trip and it's allways nice to have something bigger (and a bit sturdier) that doesn't lock as an extra.
Telp

Post by Telp »

Just a huge thanks to sal and everyone for the warm welcomes. This community really seems great and in turn I hope to spend a lot more time here learning from everyone and hopefully one day being able to share knowledge with others.

Most trails I look to be riding will be through the countryside but certainly boarder crossings will be something to keep in mind. My knife would most likely be in a frame bag at all times until needed, and never on my person (mostly for logistical reasons, don't want to lose it, etc.). I like the idea of the moraknives as far as something that could be confiscated at little monetary loss to myself.

The Aqua Salt looks like a kickass knife. My fear is the H1 steel and my mostly unsuccesful [as of yet] attempts to freehand sharpen. Certainly, I can buy a cheap knife though and practice on that first, though. Thanks for all the suggestions. Gives me a lot to think about and lots of things to research.