How about a Native Hawkbill?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sonorum

How about a Native Hawkbill?

Post by Sonorum »

Since I like the ergonomics of the Native a lot more than the Delica I couldn't help but wonder what a Native Hawkbill would look like. I included the Tasman Salt 2 to show the difference.

What do you think, yay or nay? Would you like one? I want one!

/ David
Ignaz

Re: How about a Native Hawkbill?

Post by Ignaz »

Yes please! Plain und serrated and also make some wharncliffes while we're at it ;) :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Prefer a bit more hook like the Salt has, but I would be far more inclined to buy a Native Salt hawkbill than the actual Salt version because the ergonomics are better for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:Prefer a bit more hook like the Salt has, but I would be far more inclined to buy a Native Salt hawkbill than the actual Salt version because the ergonomics are better for me.
I'm like EVIL D I also prefer a bit more hook than what is shown>> but I do really like the concept of a Hawkbill model with a beefy handle like the one on the GOLDEN, CO made NATIVE model. There would sure be a lot of hard working guys out there that would embrace the idea of a really beefy and rigid Hawkbill model with a handle that would do well in hard work type jobs.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Evil D wrote:Prefer a bit more hook like the Salt has, but I would be far more inclined to buy a Native Salt hawkbill than the actual Salt version because the ergonomics are better for me.
I didn't think of that! I see your point. I angled the cutting edge so that it would stay relatively slim in the pocket which is something the Tasman is NOT.
/ David
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

If you take a little out of the rear backspacer so to say you could probably make the hook down a bit moore
/ David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah you sort of go into it knowing a hawkbill is going to be a bit of a pocket hog. That's just how it is unless the handle is shaped to mirror the shape of the blade but then ergos can get weird.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:Yeah you sort of go into it knowing a hawkbill is going to be a bit of a pocket hog. That's just how it is unless the handle is shaped to mirror the shape of the blade but then ergos can get weird.
I think that's definitely true with the SPYDERHAWK model but my Harpy & Merlin models fit my pocket very well. Now if they did a NATIVE HAWKBILL there would undoubtedly be more mass to deal with. But you could get around that with a belt sheath>> I still work with a couple of guys who carry their BUCK 110 models in a belt sheath will few problems>> but overall I mostly carry any of my Hawkbills in my front right pocket or the side tool pocket on my Carhartt Jeans or Carhartt bib overalls whichever I might be working in at the time.

Those side utility pockets that they put on those work clothes are extremely handy for carrying companion folders.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

wow that is neat :eek:
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:Yeah you sort of go into it knowing a hawkbill is going to be a bit of a pocket hog. That's just how it is unless the handle is shaped to mirror the shape of the blade but then ergos can get weird.
I think that's definitely true with the SPYDERHAWK model but my Harpy & Merlin models fit my pocket very well. Now if they did a NATIVE HAWKBILL there would undoubtedly be more mass to deal with. But you could get around that with a belt sheath>> I still work with a couple of guys who carry their BUCK 110 models in a belt sheath will few problems>> but overall I mostly carry any of my Hawkbills in my front right pocket or the side tool pocket on my Carhartt Jeans or Carhartt bib overalls whichever I might be working in at the time.

Those side utility pockets that they put on those work clothes are extremely handy for carrying companion folders.
The only thing keeping my sketch from being more aggressively angled and still being slim in the pocket is keeping the exact same mold of frn as the plain edge native. The lanyard tube and the lock mechanism limits movement but the tip could maybe be buried deeper with an adjustment of the backspacer.
My guess is that IF Spyderco ever was to make a different blade shape on the Native thay would keep the same handle to keep costs low.
I'm going to make a new sketch tomorrow!

/ David
/ David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Like they did with the hawkbill DFly, they'd add a little more curve to the blade, and then just extend the kicker (I think thats the right term) out a little farther. But yes it will have a slightly larger footprint in pocket. That being said I'm totally in for a hawkbill native :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Sorry I like hawkbills and I like Natives but that thing is an abomination :)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

JD Spydo wrote:

I carry my spyderhawk in my back left pocket. I barely notice it and I don't really use that pocket for anything else.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

zhyla wrote:Sorry I like hawkbills and I like Natives but that thing is an abomination :)
:D :p
/ David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

I carry my spyderhawk in my back left pocket. I barely notice it and I don't really use that pocket for anything else.
Yeah I agree I've never had my Spyderhawk ( no matter which one) ever pose a problem with pocket carry. Now I do have a belt sheath that I use when I go into thick timber because I don't want to risk losing one of those gems at all. But when I'm wearing Carhartt Bib Overalls I usually carry my companion blades in one of the upper front pockets on my bibs. Never had a problem with it either.

The one Spyderco model I did notice taking up pocket space was my Chinook 3 model. Now that bad boy was really beefy for sure. But I would love a Hawkbill with a bigger/thicker handle and a really thick/stout blade as well.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Please, do not call this Native
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

bh49 wrote:Please, do not call this Native
Let’s call it a Hative.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

I would be on board instantly.
Justin
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

A) awesome photoshop job OP
B) would prefer N5 Wharn more but-
C) a N5 handle would be a pull cutting demon
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

zhyla wrote:
bh49 wrote:Please, do not call this Native
Let’s call it a Hative.
I would be shocked if somewhere out there a knife company doesn't already have a model called The Hater. If there isn't then there should be lol.
~David