Spyderco Knives at 2018 SHOT Show with Eric Glesser

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ABX2011

Re: Spyderco Knives at 2018 SHOT Show with Eric Glesser

Post by ABX2011 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:But at what cost? My Nirvana has lockstick for about a day and then I worked it out. After that it never came back.
What cost? What do you mean- aesthetically?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Jim Ankerson, you killed it Man!
CPM 4V to boot!!
This, imo, is THE Spyderco to have this year!!!!
Congratz borther!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:Jim Ankerson, you killed it Man!
CPM 4V to boot!!
This, imo, is THE Spyderco to have this year!!!!
Congratz borther!

Thank You. :) :spyder:
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Jerry Brouwer folder and the Jim Ankerson Bowie! :)

Btw, also nice post about the Ankerson Bowie in Off-Topic: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70361
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Man......I'm dead serious, this Ankerson Bowie, with CPM 4V steel, - you can tell just by looking at it, it's gonna be one helluva performer! As the dear departed Keith Jackson would say, "Whoa Nellie!!"
I certainly see more Ankerson/Sanders designs in the future.....
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

ABX2011 wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:But at what cost? My Nirvana has lockstick for about a day and then I worked it out. After that it never came back.
Yeah, aesthetically. I understand why Spyderco chose to do this, I just don’t like it. Seems I’m in the minority though, so I guess they made the right call. To me, part of the beauty of an integral is the lack of screws all over the knife.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
ABX2011 wrote:
Yeah, aesthetically. I understand why Spyderco chose to do this, I just don’t like it. Seems I’m in the minority though, so I guess they made the right call. To me, part of the beauty of an integral is the lack of screws all over the knife.
The aesthetics don't bother me, I think it improves the function and long term reliability of the design. I like it.

David
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

The BladeHQ video has more of the fun stuff!

The Amalgam and Brouwer look related, and both came from Spyderco fans looking to keep what Spyderco was known for and good at, and then refining it into more pocket friendly shape.
jlw

Post by jlw »

Although I don't believe it was mentioned in the BHQ video, at 19:12 and 20:11 it looks like it says CPM S90V on the blade (of the Rassenti).
sonarsessions

Post by sonarsessions »

I really digged the Smock but am actually pretty interested in the Brouwer - I really dig the lightweight framelock and am interested in seeing this close up. Wonder if these will be out before BLADE. If not, I'd def like to see them close up over there.
"All good, just different." :D

Current Spyderco's: C240CFP Smock CF S30V, C11PBK Saber Grind Delica 4 Black VG10, C101PBN2 Manix 2 Brown CTS XHP, C28PBK2 Dragonfly 2 FRN Black VG10, C223GP Para 3 Black G10 S30V, C28GRE2 Dragonfly 2 British Racing Green ZDP-189, C28ZFPGR2 Dragonfly 2 Zome VG10, C41PBK5 Native 5 FRN Black S35VN, C101PDBL2 Manix 2 Dark Blue S110v, C94PDBL UK PenKnife Lightweight Dark Blue FRN S110V, C41PDBL5 Native 5 Dark Blue S110V, C11FPWCBK Wharncliffe Delica 4 Black VG10, C10PSFG Endura 4 Foliage Green Combo VG10, C11FPBN Flat Ground Delica 4 Brown VG10
prog_knife

Post by prog_knife »

hoimin wrote:The BladeHQ video has more of the fun stuff!

The Amalgam and Brouwer look related, and both came from Spyderco fans looking to keep what Spyderco was known for and good at, and then refining it into more pocket friendly shape.
Agree 100%. Love the almost-spear-point profile on both. I was thinking they'd make a natural pair for those of us who like carrying one large and one small knife. I think the Brouwer is my favorite of these new knives.

The Amalgam reminds me of the Benchmade 928 Proxy, but much cleaner in the choil/ricasso area.
-Evan
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Jim, you have always been the source of true data. Seeing a knife you helped design sends it right to the top of the list. You know your steels (obviously) and what feels great in the hand, I can't say a bowie was in my radar for 2018, but it is now! Thank you for this and all your contributions to the many forums you contribute to regularly.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

xceptnl wrote:Jim, you have always been the source of true data. Seeing a knife you helped design sends it right to the top of the list. You know your steels (obviously) and what feels great in the hand, I can't say a bowie was in my radar for 2018, but it is now! Thank you for this and all your contributions to the many forums you contribute to regularly.
Thank You for the kind words. :)

CPM 4V is an excellent steel and is gaining ground very quickly as a favorite in Blade Sports and for good reason. :cool:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ankerson wrote:
xceptnl wrote:Jim, you have always been the source of true data. Seeing a knife you helped design sends it right to the top of the list. You know your steels (obviously) and what feels great in the hand, I can't say a bowie was in my radar for 2018, but it is now! Thank you for this and all your contributions to the many forums you contribute to regularly.

CPM 4V is an excellent steel and is gaining ground very quickly as a favorite in Blade Sports and for good reason. :cool:
It's a very nice looking blade. How stainless is 4V? I don't have many opportunities to carry a fixed blade where I live, but I may like one of those to keep around the house (and maybe even use it as a delightfully overkill kitchen knife if it's stainless enough)
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

It's a very nice looking blade. How stainless is 4V? I don't have many opportunities to carry a fixed blade where I live, but I may like one of those to keep around the house (and maybe even use it as an delightfully overkill kitchen knife if it's stainless enough)

It's not bad, it will take a patina very well, same care as any tool steel.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It looks very functional.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ZrowsN1s wrote:It looks very functional.

Was designed to be an all around field knife, it's very useful.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

The Respect Bowie knife looks fantastic! With bolt on scales it could easily be converted to the perfect Bowie with a set of coffin scales.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Had the 2018 Catalog included the just-revealed Brouwer, Amalgam, Paysan, and Smock, my excitement might have been far greater, even though collabs are not what have me hooked on Spyderco.

I wish the WaterWay had been among the fixed blades Eric presented to BHQ. That collab I do want, and it would be my first Spyderco fixed blade.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Acadian

Post by Acadian »

I'm super super super super excited about the Paysan - been eagerly waiting that release.

Eric (or anyone else) - what is the blade steel on this guy? Any ETA as to when it will be release?