Shot Show surprises

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BrianMcCord

Shot Show surprises

Post by BrianMcCord »

Anyone else giddy for the Smock collaboration? The Techno 2, another comp lock flipper, a really nice 2.3" drop point....all incredible!

Link here:
http://knifenews.com/shot-show-2018-knives/
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
goonielife

Re: Shot Show surprises

Post by goonielife »

Smock!!!!
Ive been waiting, this is a must have for me!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I really like the Mantra 3's blade shape. I'd like to see that same shape used on more designs.

The push button compression lock is neat. I'll have to handle one of those.

Autonomy 2 and amalgam both look nice. The A2 looks like it'd be a nice EDC if you're into autos, very good general purpose blade shape. the amalgam has a nice blade shape too.

Hopefully they show off a big folder one of these next few days. Some of these are on the small side for me.
Last edited by vivi on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

When can we expect the Techno 2? In 2018?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

BrianMcCord wrote:Anyone else giddy for the Smock collaboration? The Techno 2, another comp lock flipper, a really nice 2.3" drop point....all incredible!

Link here:
http://knifenews.com/shot-show-2018-knives/
Are all of these Taiwan made knives? Anything new coming out of the Golden or Japan factories??
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Gotta say I called the push button compression lock, I think in one of my threads begging for a PE Autonomy or about using the Plunge Lock in other knives. It certainly will solve the whole flipper tab hitting your finger issue. It's cool to see so many new flippers but I see they will all most likely have this issue. I'm really interested in the Autonomy 2 but I really wish they'd just make the Autonomy 1 in PE with the same blade shape.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I'm really diggin the Amalgam!!
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

I really like the Smock design. I'm not sure I'll be buying, I usually prefer larger knives - would love to see this same slim design in a 3.8" size. I wish they would have used a standard Spyderco clip so the deep carry option would be available to those of us that prefer it. Lanyard hole? Why?

David
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Nothing grabbing my attention so far. Plenty of S30V I see.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Is the Techno 2 going to be XHP also? I think I might need that one.
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Yup, XHP on the Techno 2. I'm very tempted as well - the slightly thinner stock and open construction may push me over the edge...
~andrew
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Man, I'm glad Spyderco brought the SHOT show heat. Put me down for a Smock, a Techno 2 and a Brouwer for sure. The Custom SK23 was great, and the button compression lock is a wonderful idea, that I hope Spyderco uses more.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Blade and Flame

Post by Blade and Flame »

Love the button compression lock of the Smock, but not a fan of the clip. Strangely, some of my absolute favorite Spydercos like the C22 Michael Walker ZD-189 and Lum Chinese feature a similar clip, but I really hate it if I'm being honest.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I have to say this is the first year when I have been really underwhelmed. Looks like other knife companies have upped their game and Spyderco have stalled. Hope there will be some interesting sprints in the works.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Smock blade is great but man there must be a good inch and a half between the index choil and the edge. That's a whole lot of wasted space.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Evil D wrote:The Smock blade is great but man there must be a good inch and a half between the index choil and the edge. That's a whole lot of wasted space.
I had the exact same reaction, even to go back and look at Kevin’s original model to compare. There’s definitely a far more generous choil on the Spyderco version where it tucks up against the comp lock when closed. It’s an interesting design issue.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Love the Smock but that bizarre choil is a non starter for me.

Love the new Mantra 3. The Mantra has remained one of my favorite EDC knives since I got it and I love the idea of having one in a stainless steel.

Completely drooling over the new Autonomy. I shied away from ever purchasing the autonomy because I don’t like defined finger grooves, I don’t like sheepsfoot and I wanted PE in that kind of knife. This new Autonomy couldn’t be any closer to my vision if I had designed it myself! Super excited for that one!

Lots of great looking designs. Thank you Spyderco.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Really interested in the Smock Lock. I really enjoy using button locks and wish they were more popular. Seems like a great upgrade to the usual button lock, much like the Nak Lock, but better.
Art_vandeley

Post by Art_vandeley »

Not there for me so far. I hope we will see other new stuff in Amsterdam.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Would love to see Spyderco's take on the Kwaiken. Surprised they haven't already added this very popular design.