Calling all Canadians - Canadian knife discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BrianMcCord

Re: Calling all Canadians - Canadian knife discussion

Post by BrianMcCord »

Fixed blades remove a deployment step, but are not on the chopping block. Can this be explained?
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

Ok.. some wild after shots of Canadian Rye inspired thoughts...
- Think Pingo - same sort of non pointy blade shape, 2.5-2.75 inches - make it a lockback with a double lock, i.e. a notch that the lock engages at the current half open stop the Pingo has - that would defeat the flick test, perhaps, and require a second lock press to open fully - Perhaps make it lock closed as well? and yes, maybe red scales.. Same sort of Spydiehole as the current Pingo..Make it cute and no-one objects? Get as far away from the tacti-cool look as possible.
- an axial lock, like the old Lone wolf Paul knives? Had some once, locked open and closed, and while the could be opened one handed with some trickery, they were very hard to flick..

Thoughts?
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Canada is pretty diverse in landscape and culture so it’d be pretty hard to capture it in one model. I wouldn’t mind seeing a line up of fixed blades for ocean and forest, and a pair of folders for urban and rural use.

All four would feature red g-10 with white liners (or vice versa, or combo’d with black base and white/red liners).

Fixed-ocean: similar specs to the Aqua Salt but FFG LC200N with a trailing point. Is G-10 still okay for water usage?

Fixed-forest: similar to the Bushcraft, but with a continuous belly that drops below the handle axis (a la Grohmann’s elliptical edge) and a high saber grind. CPM-3V? CPM-154?

The new CBSA interpretation is basically looking for nail nick opening only, which puts a cramp on the Spydiehole style, so the folders would have to be two handers.

Folder-rural: Drop point 4” blade (Advocate shaped?). Non functional Spydiehole acts as a pseudo nail nick around the primary choil; handles sculpted like the Shaman. Backlock or whatever is easiest to clean.

Folder-urban: 2.75”-3” leaf blade backlock with polished scales (white bolster on red? Or white ‘shield’ on red?). Non functional hole acting as pseudo nail nick. 0.8” blade stock FFG.
Eee

Post by Eee »

I’m not Canadian, but I’m also looking ahead to proposed changes to UK laws which are currently unclear. I see a two handed opening knife being in my future. Obviously I’d prefer it to be a Spyderco.

My suggestion would be the Native Salt (LC200n) with Pingo sized :spyder: hole.

And the link to Canada, you may ask?
I associate the Native with Native Americans, who obviously were native to the whole continent and of course would not have any problems crossing the border (as it did not exist).
Malplaquet

Post by Malplaquet »

Knives were trade goods in Canada's early colonial history. It seems that knife blades were supplied by colonists like the British and French and the handles were designed by the indigenous peoples. While this is a complicated issue it might make for a pretty cool knife today.

The blade design could begin with something like this knife at National Maritime Museum in UK. http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collection ... /2640.html

The shape could be modified for better strength. Perhaps the spydie hole could be incorporated as a design element somewhere in the up turned tip of the knife. If the blade was long enough putting the hole at the wrong end would keep it from being used for single handed opening. Either that or the hole could be part of the blade that disappeared into the scales (not functional, but maintaining Spyderco style) and a nail knick could be used.

Having the spydie hole at the up turned end would also give the blade a bit of a toboggan or canoe look...

Then, perhaps Sal and Spyderco could team up with an indigenous designer for the handle.

Perhaps while I'm dreaming a small percentage of each sale could go towards a charity working on ensuring the availability of clean drinking water on reserves...
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

sal wrote:Looks like this will change the design for a "canuk" model? We've had a number of "go-arounds" with the crown and laws. We even built a machine that measured the force to open a knife so we could build to a rule. They weren't interested. I think it's law enforcement that is concerned about the "flick factor" being able to produce a "deadly" blade from a knife hidden in a closed hand.

We tried to work our a solution for Germany with their knife laws, but the ideas I had didn't take and the ideas presented wouldn't work. eg; imagine a large two hand open "Roadie".

sal
Actually, a large Roadie styled knife would be really cool. I would definately buy one as I love my Roadie.

Of course, I wouldn’t expect it would outsell the Delica, so it might not be the best business decision to make one unless it helps get around regulations like we are seeing in Canada and many places in Europe.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Just make it like the Spy-DK, but with a 3" blade, and not quite so pointy. Please put a "Roadie dimple" near the middle so it's not so bloody hard to open, and with a spot you can actually get your fingers in on the handle (access to the dimple). Blue jean coloured handle so we don't scare people, and darkened wire clip, please. If you could fit a lanyard hole somewhere right at the back would be nice.

I have to say, I'm really not enthused about my knives right now. I feel like I'm going to be stuck with a whole lot of money's worth of things I can't legally enjoy, including my prized Delica wharnies. Even the UKPKs, if they can be Spyderco dropped. Only ones okay are Spy-DK and Pingo. I don't really like two handed knives.
- best wishes, Jazz.
dc50

Post by dc50 »

Jazz wrote:
I have to say, I'm really not enthused about my knives right now. I feel like I'm going to be stuck with a whole lot of money's worth of things I can't legally enjoy, including my prized Delica wharnies. Even the UKPKs, if they can be Spyderco dropped. Only ones okay are Spy-DK and Pingo. I don't really like two handed knives.
I have to agree with you Jazz, I have spent enough over the past 10/15 years that I could walk into a Honda dealer and pay cash for a 2018 Civic. Not only that, I have two Son's that I had planned on passing the knives on too. What use would they get out of them now,or even sell off what they don't want.
Collecting and carrying knives has been kind of a reward for keeping my nose to the grind stone all these years. I sorta feel gutted with all this.
Peace out,
Dave
vivi

Post by vivi »

Jazz wrote:I have to say, I'm really not enthused about my knives right now. I feel like I'm going to be stuck with a whole lot of money's worth of things I can't legally enjoy, including my prized Delica wharnies. Even the UKPKs, if they can be Spyderco dropped. Only ones okay are Spy-DK and Pingo. I don't really like two handed knives.
Fixed blades are one handed. You can test drive my wharncliffe Ark if you want :)
:unicorn
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Would a backlock with a strong halfstop work around this law?

Maybe a ManixBL with a strong halfstop?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Would a backlock with a strong halfstop work around this law?

Maybe a ManixBL with a strong halfstop?
I thought about that too Darby. Liquid brought to my attention you could depress the lockbar and the halfstop is irrelevant
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Hey-you

Post by Hey-you »

So, it’s an interesting (and aggravating) problem to respond to a prohibitive import issue while there has been no change to actual law.

If you want to be extra frustrated, ask a CBSA officer what they are carrying. I’m willing to put money on the fact that a number of knives that would be disallowed for import are riding individuals pockets.... why wouldn’t a CBSA officer carry a Benchmade triage or a Spyderco rescue...seems to me that there is a potential internal conflict that should eventually enter this issue as well.

As for design.... I’ll quote my can of Old Tomorrow .... “it’s feisty but polite... eh-men.” Which might aptly describe the balance that will need to be found.

As for lock types, it would appear that liner, frame, axis, arc, ball, and back locks all, with the blade partially opened, would let one swing the blade open....yes this would appear to include my one handed Victorinox sentinel (which has both a liner lock and a slip joint spring) depending on how hard I then snap my wrist.

Other than potentially a pingo, swissarmy knife or a Spydk, anyone know of a locking mechanism or knife that doesn’t allow this? We could then compare the design characteristics to find a trend.
dc50

Post by dc50 »

I was thinking if Spyderco could have a look at the now discontinued Benchmade Benchmite and work on similar mechanics.
Make a 4" handel with a 3" blade for a start this might pass inspection. I don't want to link to any of the google pic's but have a look.

"Benchmade Benchmite With BP Coated Blade and Handle Plain Edge
A mechanical LEVITATOR™ system in the Stainless Steel handle scale leverages the spring/pin system to effectively lock the blade open and closed. PLEASE NOTE: There is no spring action that actually opens this knife on this model".
Hey-you

Post by Hey-you »

So is it worth discussing a combination of locks? Similar to a Victorinox Sentinal one handed, I’m thinking that a stiff/strong slip joint spring combined with a liner lock and a fairly light weight blade and handle combo would make for a blade that could potentially still be opened with one hand (slowly) and still resist the use of centrifugal force to open the knife and be locking if desired.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

sal wrote:Looks like this will change the design for a "canuk" model? We've had a number of "go-arounds" with the crown and laws. We even built a machine that measured the force to open a knife so we could build to a rule. They weren't interested. I think it's law enforcement that is concerned about the "flick factor" being able to produce a "deadly" blade from a knife hidden in a closed hand.

We tried to work our a solution for Germany with their knife laws, but the ideas I had didn't take and the ideas presented wouldn't work. eg; imagine a large two hand open "Roadie".

sal
Well, I'm 100% serious on this one. Lots of drawing, cutting cardboard handles, redrawing parts. Here's a pic of my drawing and 2 of the handle ergonomics. It's a slipit. It doesn't have a choil, but the ricasso is large like the Delica, and would be effective in stopping closure, like a choil. Nice hollowed dimple on both sides like the Roadie, FFG, same thickness as the UKPK. What do you all think?

P.S.
I wrote a letter to my MP. Did y'all?
- best wishes, Jazz.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I feel bad for you great Canadian folks. Perhaps Sal could un-retire the Pingo and release it in red? Better buy them while they are plentiful. Truly sorry gents
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Jazz wrote:

We tried to work our a solution for Germany with their knife laws, but the ideas I had didn't take and the ideas presented wouldn't work. eg; imagine a large two hand open "Roadie"

Well, I'm 100% serious on this one. Lots of drawing, cutting cardboard handles, redrawing parts. Here's a pic of my drawing and 2 of the handle ergonomics. It's a slipit. It doesn't have a choil, but the ricasso is large like the Delica, and would be effective in stopping closure, like a choil. Nice hollowed dimple on both sides like the Roadie, FFG, same thickness as the UKPK. What do you all think?

P.S.
I wrote a letter to my MP. Did y'all?
You are a talented man, Jazz
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

It’s a nice looking design. I guess I have to ask though, why not make it with a lock and much larger?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Liquid Cobra wrote:It’s a nice looking design. I guess I have to ask though, why not make it with a lock and much larger?
Thanks. It's Delica sized. 3" blade - 4" handle. Perfect EDC size. I'd MUCH prefer a back lock, but it still should be 2 handed opening, if the law stays like it is (or not?). I personally, prefer knives in this size range. If it was actually made, and popular enough, why not a larger one too?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

twinboysdad wrote:
You are a talented man, Jazz
Thank you sir. It's obviously got Glesser and Anso influences.
- best wishes, Jazz.