Caly 3 HAP40 dropped

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PanChango

Re: Caly 3 HAP40 dropped

Post by PanChango »

jabba359 wrote:
Tdog wrote:The Caly 3.5 is .5 times better than the 3. :p Can't wait for the matching green 3.5 with Hap40. :spyder:
3 x 0.5 = 1.5
3 x 1.166666666666666666 = 3.5

So the Caly 3.5 is 1.166666666666666666 times better than the 3. ;) :D
I think I would give it the benefit of the doubt and say it's 1.17 times better.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

This thread just won't die. Between this and all of the votes for the Caly 3 in the 2017 knife of the year thread, I am hoping they can see the demand for this amazing model and either bring it back into production or start pumping out some amazing sprints.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Strider

Post by Strider »

never handled the 3.5 Maybe I will order one in to see how it handles.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I have a Caly 3 Confession.

I've tried to not have any safe queens in my collection but have 2 Caly 3's, one HAP40 and one Super Blue, both sitting unused/BNIB.

I do have a user 3.5 in SB and it's fantastic, but every time I think about pulling one of the 3's into the rotation I chicken out and either grab the 3.5 or one of my UKPKs.

Can't seem to use them, can't get rid of them... I'm stuck. :o
:spyder:
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

steelcity16 wrote:
holeshot wrote:Oso Grande knives still has them for $138 and change. :)
I can add 1000 of them to my cart, so not sure how many (if any) they actually have in stock. I was just on there earlier today looking at a long discontinued model that they apparently also have 1000 of...lol. Sounds like they need to tie their inventory to their website. Not sure if any who has ordered from them can chime in with their experiences, but I'd call before ordering.
I've ordered from them half a dozen times and have never had a problem. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

holeshot wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:
holeshot wrote:Oso Grande knives still has them for $138 and change. :)
I can add 1000 of them to my cart, so not sure how many (if any) they actually have in stock. I was just on there earlier today looking at a long discontinued model that they apparently also have 1000 of...lol. Sounds like they need to tie their inventory to their website. Not sure if any who has ordered from them can chime in with their experiences, but I'd call before ordering.
I've ordered from them half a dozen times and have never had a problem. :)
cool, thanks for the heads up. might grab that discontinued model.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Strider

Post by Strider »

Nate wrote:I have a Caly 3 Confession.

I've tried to not have any safe queens in my collection but have 2 Caly 3's, one HAP40 and one Super Blue, both sitting unused/BNIB.

I do have a user 3.5 in SB and it's fantastic, but every time I think about pulling one of the 3's into the rotation I chicken out and either grab the 3.5 or one of my UKPKs.

If it would help you, I'll take the superblue so you don't have to worry about it anymore. Ha

...but seriously
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Nate wrote:I have a Caly 3 Confession.

Hi Nate, this is a safe space where you don't have to feel judged. ;) many of us wish we had your troubles.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

Jezus Christ. I was over at a friend's yesterday, who is also looking for a knife and he was amazed by my caly 3 HAP40 sprint, so I recommended the S110V uk pocket broadsword instead which is better for him anyway. Anyway, dude was gonna clean the caly when done, assuming a rinse I even said thanks. I only looked at it back home again and goddamn. What the **** has he been rinsing with? Water with some acid drained straight from from a nuclear plant?

I'll link a imgur album in moments.
imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/6X4wZ What can I do to fix this?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

dodgie02 wrote:Jezus Christ. I was over at a friend's yesterday, who is also looking for a knife and he was amazed by my caly 3 HAP40 sprint, so I recommended the S110V uk pocket broadsword instead which is better for him anyway. Anyway, dude was gonna clean the caly when done, assuming a rinse I even said thanks. I only looked at it back home again and goddamn. What the **** has he been rinsing with? Water with some acid drained straight from from a nuclear plant?

I'll link a imgur album in moments.
imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/6X4wZ What can I do to fix this?
Pretty common appearance for a steel like HAP40. Your choices are to embrace the protective properties of the patina that has formed on the core steel (my recommendation) or gently polish it away with a cloth and a product like Barkeepers Friend. Your friend may not have used anything corrosive to clean it but he may have used the knife to cut apples or something acidic thus forming the patina
*Landon*
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I soaked mine in vinegar for 6hrs.. Put a nice gray patina on the Hap40.. Looks good to me!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Nate

Post by Nate »

xceptnl wrote: Hi Nate, this is a safe space where you don't have to feel judged. ;) many of us wish we had your troubles.
Thanks man, that means a lot. :)
:spyder:
Strider

Post by Strider »

Now that I have the caly, I'm not sure what to do with the native or sage. Can't picture myself reaching for them instead.
dc50

Post by dc50 »

Strider wrote:Now that I have the caly, I'm not sure what to do with the native or sage. Can't picture myself reaching for them instead.
Don't worry about the Native or Sage, there also keepers. We knife boys are a wee bit fickle, Your most liked knife today is the Caly.
There comes days that feel like Hey lets pack the Native! You will always come back to the Caly like an old friend.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Well I got a kind tip and was able to order one of these -- from a dealer outside the US no less. Before I heard about Oso Grande, but from Canada I am not paying that much of a penalty except shipping costs maybe, and what the heck. Looking forward to the HAP40 patina! If I get any. My M4 knives and PMA11 mule are bright and shiny with no special care.

Actually, I'm just not much worried about rust. Heck - I have this carbon steel cleaver like kitchen knife I have used every day for 20 years or so. From an oriental store "3 rams brand". Let me tell you -- the patina on that thing. It got a little fluffy orange rust the first year or two maybe, but now it seems stable and totally bulletproof.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Strider wrote:Now that I have the caly, I'm not sure what to do with the native or sage. Can't picture myself reaching for them instead.
Both of those are fine knives. I like to grub around in the back of the drawer where my knives live and find some forgotten old friend and start carrying it again. The idea of the "one knife" is just too limiting. I have a bunch of quality friends and am happy to spend time with any of them. The same goes for my knives.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

*Landon*
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Landon,
Beautiful picture. Thank you for sharing.
R
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Carry and use them. Almost every day I carry both Native5 and Caly3. Both of them have their uses.
There is nothing wrong to carry two or three, even four knives. :)
We used to have two gents here, which carry over 20 knives daily.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

bh49 wrote:
Carry and use them. Almost every day I carry both Native5 and Caly3. Both of them have their uses.
There is nothing wrong to carry two or three, even four knives. :)
We used to have two gents here, which carry over 20 knives daily.
I might try this. This Caly has been my carry for about a week now. I don't want to stop carrying it, but I am dying to try my Blurple Native 5. You just gave me the solution. Carry two knives...its so simple! :o