Caly 3 HAP40 dropped

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PanChango

Re: Caly 3 HAP40 dropped

Post by PanChango »

Another pic, but mine isn't so pretty any more.

I thinned the edge and broke the corners of the g10 and it hasn't left my pocket.

dc50

Post by dc50 »

I have to agree about the cladding. I was hoping the blade was pure HAP40. Just like my Super Blue Caly 3.5
Strider

Post by Strider »

Just got mine today. All I can think is why is this a discontinued model?
Strider

Post by Strider »

Just got mine today. All I can think is why is this a discontinued model?
anycal

Post by anycal »

yes

Peter
arty

Post by arty »

PanChango
How did you go about smoothing the corners of the G10? I might want to do this with some of my knives, as the G10 texture can eat pockets. I assume you wore a dust mask, but what grits did you use?
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

arty wrote:PanChango
How did you go about smoothing the corners of the G10? I might want to do this with some of my knives, as the G10 texture can eat pockets. I assume you wore a dust mask, but what grits did you use?
I removed the clip first. I used some wet dry sand paper and just gave it a quick once over. I did wear a mask and did it under running water.

I am not sure of the grit used as it was just a small piece of sand paper I had in my tool box. If I had to guess, I would think about 220, but that is just a WAG.

I think it only took about 5 minutes, but it really made the knife much more comfortable for me.
arty

Post by arty »

Thanks. I like CF because it is pocket friendly, but I do have some G10 handles that could use some work. The Spyderco Worker has smooth, rounded corners. Not all G10 is treated this way.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Love this darn thing! Honestly it’s my favorite Spydie right now!
Josh
Mastermachetier

Post by Mastermachetier »

Strider wrote:Just got mine today. All I can think is why is this a discontinued model?
I can not agree with you more on this. I got mine in today. Its the best spydeco knife I have put my hands on and I have put my hands on alot of knives. Right now I have 12 spyderco knives that I have acquired during my search for the "one". The Caly came in super smooth perfect size with a deep carry clip. I now already have lined up a few for sale !
anycal

Post by anycal »

murphjd25 wrote:Love this darn thing! Honestly it’s my favorite Spydie right now!
How about now? :D

I experience this quite frequently.
Peter
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

anycal wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:Love this darn thing! Honestly it’s my favorite Spydie right now!

Yes! It could possibly change quickly though haha
Josh
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

anycal wrote:

The Caly has been my favorite since I picked up a SB Caly 3.5 in 2011.

I have migrated to the 3" Caly, but still it is still my favorite.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Mastermachetier wrote:
Strider wrote:Just got mine today. All I can think is why is this a discontinued model?
I can not agree with you more on this. I got mine in today. Its the best spydeco knife I have put my hands on and I have put my hands on alot of knives. Right now I have 12 spyderco knives that I have acquired during my search for the "one". The Caly came in super smooth perfect size with a deep carry clip. I now already have lined up a few for sale !
Yeah, exactly. This is the knife that finally pushed my Worker sprint out of my pocket. I'll probably rotate between these two, and might throw my Blurple G10 S110V native in there if I need something bigger. I am definitely a little bummed that out of the many, many, models I have, my two favorites at this point are not production models. Maybe we can get some support to get a run of G10 versions of Japan-made knives in VTOKU or Superblue. Caly 3, Worker, Rookie, Jester, Delica, Stretch, Dragonfly would be at the top of my list for a run like that. With Blurple or Navy G10.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I am glad to see so many enjoying what has turned out to be for me... My Favorite Spyderco!! :D John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

PanChango wrote:
arty wrote:PanChango
I removed the clip first. I used some wet dry sand paper and just gave it a quick once over. I did wear a mask and did it under running water.

I am not sure of the grit used as it was just a small piece of sand paper I had in my tool box. If I had to guess, I would think about 220, but that is just a WAG.

I think it only took about 5 minutes, but it really made the knife much more comfortable for me.
I did the same. It was hard for me to do as I know this knife will be HIGHLY collectible. I decided to smooth it out after the blade started scratching like crazy...made it less painful.
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
Mastermachetier

Post by Mastermachetier »

jmh58 wrote:I am glad to see so many enjoying what has turned out to be for me... My Favorite Spyderco!! :D John
The caly 3 is like the delica I have always wanted haha
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

That's why I bought two. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I am going to bite the bullet and start customizing mine to my grip and throw the possibility of collectability out the window. Planning to round off the G-10 all around as well as the spine of the blade. I am really tempted to polish the contact surfaces of the tang as well, but it already seems smoother than my well used ZDP Caly model. I can see now I'm going to need to buy a back-up before they all disappear
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
dc50

Post by dc50 »

xceptnl wrote:I am going to bite the bullet and start customizing mine to my grip and throw the possibility of collectability out the window. Planning to round off the G-10 all around as well as the spine of the blade. I am really tempted to polish the contact surfaces of the tang as well, but it already seems smoother than my well used ZDP Caly model. I can see now I'm going to need to buy a back-up before they all disappear
That's what happened to me, I sanded the edges and now it's mine! I also purchased another for the Spydie Pac for safe keeping.
Of all my Spydercos which are many, the Caly 3 and 3.5 are my most valued models,they fit like a glove.