Wanting knife as similar as possible to old Endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
500Nitro

Wanting knife as similar as possible to old Endura

Post by 500Nitro »

Hi, new to forum but have been browsing a while.

Wanting to buy another Spyderco as close as possible to my existing 30+ year old Endura.
I especially like the handle material and balance of the knife.

I've found on eBay in Australia a New Spderco Endura 4 black lightweight serrated blade knife C10SBK

How close are the two knives.

Any other option ? Thanks

Have added photo of the knife I'm looking at.
Attachments
Spyderco.jpg
IMG_3456.JPG
IMG_3455.JPG
IMG_3454.JPG
Last edited by 500Nitro on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
phaust

Re: Wanting knife as similar as possible to old Endura

Post by phaust »

Perhaps take the Pacific Salt and sharpen the spine near the tip to be pointier lile the Endura
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pacific Salt or maybe a Police but they don't come in FRN handles. I think a Pacific with a reground spine is your best bet.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

From the actual production knives the Pacific Salt must be the most similar.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Aside from your old one having the molded on clip, the two handles are very similar in shape and thickness. The tip of new Endura's blade is rounded off a bit, a sad example of idiot proofing, but the steel will hold an edge longer and the overall shape is very similar to your old one. New one will weigh a bit more, since it has liners. I'd say that, short of finding a "new old stock" original Endura on eBay, the saber ground version of the Endura 4 is as close to yours as you're going to get.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Pacific Salt. It is hollow ground, doesn't have the molded clip and has a rounded tip. You can easily grind the spine down and give it a pointy tip like your Endura.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I will look at the knives recommended.

Re the tip, I'm not too worried about it being slightly different, more important is similar shape, feel/handle, balance and serrated !
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

The Deacon wrote:I'd say that, short of finding a "new old stock" original Endura on eBay,
Ive been keeping an eye out for years and one came up on ebay Aus and I missed it! Am kicking myself.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

500Nitro wrote:Thanks for the suggestions.

I will look at the knives recommended.

Re the tip, I'm not too worried about it being slightly different, more important is similar shape, feel/handle, balance and serrated !
You'll have to decide which characteristic contributes most to "feel", shape or balance. The saber ground version of the Endura 4 will be closest when it comes to shape, but will be a bit more "handle heavy" due to the liners. The Pacific Salt will be closest in regard to balance, but a lot of folks who liked the original Endura did not like the more squared off handle of the Endura 3 and that's the handle currently being used for the Pacific Salt. Both are about the same thickness.
Paul
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

The Deacon wrote: The saber ground version of the Endura 4
Not sure I understand the term saber ground ? Can you expand on it?

The rest of the info you posted was great, thank you.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

500Nitro wrote:
The Deacon wrote: The saber ground version of the Endura 4
Not sure I understand the term saber ground ? Can you expand on it?

The rest of the info you posted was great, thank you.
Your Endura's blade is saber ground, some Endura 4's, like the one pictured in your first post are also saber ground, but some are now full flat ground. See this page: https://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/ ... de-grinds/ for a better explanation.
Paul
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Thanks, hadn't heard that term before but its a good one and I like how it maintains the thickness of the blade.

I have a few Hollow ground knives (in flat blades), nice to look at but wear differently out in the field!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I much prefer the new iteration of the Endura: The Endura 4. You can get it in saber grind if you must, but I prefer the full flat grind because it cuts better. The Endura is one of my 'keeper' knives, meaning I will never part with it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ntro,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Doc Dan wrote:I much prefer the new iteration of the Endura: The Endura 4. You can get it in saber grind if you must, but I prefer the full flat grind because it cuts better. The Endura is one of my 'keeper' knives, meaning I will never part with it.
I prefer FFG too but, based on the photos the OP posted, I assumed his Endura is serrated. Is the FFG Endura 4 available serrated? For some reason I was under the impression it only came in plain edge.
Paul
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

My original knife is fully serrated, as is the new Endura 4 I have been looking at buying.

Serrated is a personal choice.

FFG ???
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I overlooked the serrated part. The Endura 4 does come with serrations and a saber grind. I find the new handle more comfortable than the old one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

500Nitro wrote:My original knife is fully serrated, as is the new Endura 4 I have been looking at buying.

Serrated is a personal choice.

FFG ???

FFG equals to Full Flat Grind, as opposed to Saber or other types of grinds.
I also prefer SE (Serrated Edge) on my Spydercos,

and I also think your best pick would be a black handled, satin blade Pacific Salt SE to be the closest to your old Endura, but with even better edge retention and some nice upgrades!

if you grind the tip, as many here have, you'd get a point just like the one in your old Endura

500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Thank you. Those pics are awesome.

Re serrated, I originally got it on the recommendation of one of my climbing / roping instructors
on the basis that a serrated blade will always cut a rope and when you are dangling over a cliff
or building it's the last place you want to find out your flat blade isn't as sharp as it should be!

The tip doesn't worry me that much but I do agree, the old tip shape looks great.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

The already recommended Pacific Salt or Endura 4 are both excellent options for you. You near the ocean like most Australians? The big difference between the knives is the Pacific is virtually maintenance free due to the corrosion resistant H1 steel blade. It’s also a little lighter due to the lack of steel liners inside the handle and comes available with a yellow handle option should you decide to make the switch from black. I’ve managed to put some surface rust on an Endura I took to Hawaii for a week of camping. Didn’t do much out of the ordinary with it aside from being exposed to the beach air.

A VG10 blade Endura in plain edge would likely perform better side by side compared to a plain edge Pacific, but since you prefer serrated you’ll experience little difference between the two knives. Looks like the Pacific is around $5 USD more than the Endura but in my opinion you’ll forget about that $5 in no time. Pacific Salt gets my vote as a tough, no fuss user you can use hard and put to bed wet.