CBSA going after flipper type opening

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Re: CBSA going after flipper type opening

Post by Liquid Cobra »

bearfacedkiller wrote:My Canadian friends, today is a holiday in the US which celebrates Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday. This seems fitting.

“One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws. I would agree with St. Augustine that ' an unjust law is no law at all.”
― Martin Luther King Jr.
Thanks. I needed that.
Jazz wrote:Thanks, bro. This is such crap. I'm quite upset.
I know you’re putting it mildly. I feel the same. I’m going to write a few letters. Doubt they’ll do much good but at least it’s something.

I’ve been looking at lawyers in Canada that specialize in firearm law. I’m curious to know if they’d be interested in taking on a case like this.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Pertinent documents on the ruling from the Canadian government:

http://www.citt-tcce.gc.ca/en/node/8176
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publication ... 1-eng.html
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Js447

Post by Js447 »

I strongly encourage all of us that will be affected by this to mail or contact our local MPs as well as filing a complaint with public safety Canada. I think CBSA and the CITT thought they'd get to quietly implement this new made up interpretation without any backlash. Let's make ourselves heard, and not let them brush us under the rug. If enough people make a big stink, they will have to listen. This import ban affects a lot more then just the aficionados, anyone who has or wants to own any sort of folding knife should know about this.
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Now I'm wondering if my straight razors are a problem. They help me look like less of a slob.

This isn't funny anymore.

I'm at work now and have a military in my pocket, as always. I know of no other way to live.
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

KingRat wrote:Now I'm wondering if my straight razors are a problem. They help me look like less of a slob.

This isn't funny anymore.

I'm at work now and have a military in my pocket, as always. I know of no other way to live.
Glad I picked up a street beat when they were disco'd last year though.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

*EDITED* - TazKristi

Thank you Kristi, wasn't sure if my post would be considered too much of a "political statement". I was going to add something asking moderators to edit or ask me to edit the post if so. My apologies to anyone the post may have offended. A reminder to me and all, that political statements are not welcome on the forum. Very upsetting to see the rights of honest, law abiding citizens being taken away. Hope our friends in Canada can work this out.
Js447

Post by Js447 »

Hey guys, thought I'd share this with everyone who has been worried about the recent ruling. I was at a local cutlery store and I spoke with the manager about it. He said that it's pretty much a yearly thing and it typically only affects individuals ordering from the US. Larger stores and companies are left alone as they have the money and legal support to appeal in court if a large shipment of product is seized, and customs is aware they would lose in a higher level of court. So they target individuals who won't be willing to spend large amounts on lawyers just to get a handful of knives back. So this could go one of two ways; they target a large importer, lose and have to leave individuals alone. Or, they continue as they have for years and get to seize the occasional one. So for the time being, I would just recommend you stick to using large importers until it becomes clear just how strict it's going to be.
dc50

Post by dc50 »

Js447 Thanks for the update,sounds a little more hopeful. :)
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

Js447 wrote:Hey guys, thought I'd share this with everyone who has been worried about the recent ruling. I was at a local cutlery store and I spoke with the manager about it. He said that it's pretty much a yearly thing and it typically only affects individuals ordering from the US. Larger stores and companies are left alone as they have the money and legal support to appeal in court if a large shipment of product is seized, and customs is aware they would lose in a higher level of court. So they target individuals who won't be willing to spend large amounts on lawyers just to get a handful of knives back. So this could go one of two ways; they target a large importer, lose and have to leave individuals alone. Or, they continue as they have for years and get to seize the occasional one. So for the time being, I would just recommend you stick to using large importers until it becomes clear just how strict it's going to be.
Be interesting to see how this plays out. I spoke to a large Canadian dealer yesterday and they are very worried. Lots of uncertainty.

Personally and as just an end user, I am not ordering any more folders from outside of Canada until or if this mess gets fixed.

I will still have knives shipped to me in the States and bring them over on my person if required. Not a big deal as my wife and I travel on business occasionally and my cottage is 3 miles from the US border. I’d prefer not to, but whatever.
Js447

Post by Js447 »

SharpieB wrote: Be interesting to see how this plays out. I spoke to a large Canadian dealer yesterday and they are very worried. Lots of uncertainty.

Personally and as just an end user, I am not ordering any more folders from outside of Canada until or if this mess gets fixed.

I will still have knives shipped to me in the States and bring them over on my person if required. Not a big deal as my wife and I travel on business occasionally and my cottage is 3 miles from the US border. I’d prefer not to, but whatever.
Yeah that's what I was getting at. Large, Canadian based importers are the only guaranteed safe way to order right now. Either CBSA goes after them, and goes to court. Or we we never get to ship from the US again with any certainty.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Guys, looks like its started to bite: they reference any stud, disc, tab or hollowing of the blade as being prohibited.

This looks like an import order to a store, not an individual (caveat: I might be wrong on that)

http://knifenews.com/canada-border-serv ... et-knives/
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Sorry guys. We have some stupid firearms laws here in California, so I know what it's like to feel unfairly oppressed based on things that look scary to certain people. Sending good vibes your way ...
dc50

Post by dc50 »

Molle Ninja wrote:Sorry guys. We have some stupid firearms laws here in California, so I know what it's like to feel unfairly oppressed based on things that look scary to certain people. Sending good vibes your way ...
Thanks man! Funny thing, it seems the more Liberal thinking the Government gets,the more rights are taken away. It don't figure. :confused:
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

The thing that makes me most sad is all the great exclusives that we Canadians will miss out on, we should petition warriors and wonders to sign up for 10 collector club memberships.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

I will not travel without my Spydercos, so until this changes, I'm no longer going to Canada. What a mess!
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

Fixed blades deploy much faster. Draw it from sheath and its in operation. Even autos require an extra step (draw, deploy, then in operation). Both can be easily concealed, so what makes any type of folder any more dangerous? I guess I just don't get it...
-Brian

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

BrianMcCord wrote:Fixed blades deploy much faster. Draw it from sheath and its in operation. Even autos require an extra step (draw, deploy, then in operation). Both can be easily concealed, so what makes any type of folder any more dangerous? I guess I just don't get it...
Because it has little to do with fact or reasoning or rational thought
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
dc50

Post by dc50 »

BrianMcCord wrote:I will not travel without my Spydercos, so until this changes, I'm no longer going to Canada. What a mess!
I guess that works both ways Brian ;) I won't be able to take a trip to the USA with my Spyderco's and return to Canada with them. :( Not even if I carry one of my many UKPK'S its a real BUMMER!
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

dc50 wrote:
BrianMcCord wrote:I will not travel without my Spydercos, so until this changes, I'm no longer going to Canada. What a mess!
I guess that works both ways Brian ;) I won't be able to take a trip to the USA with my Spyderco's and return to Canada with them. :( Not even if I carry one of my many UKPK'S its a real BUMMER!
It is a real bummer, for sure! It seems like a silly reason to avoid traveling to a country, but it is what it is. I guess I'll just go to the Akwesasne reservation if I get an urge for some Canadian goodies.

I hope this resolves itself, or I imagine there will be consequences when it comes time to vote.
-Brian

BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

xceptnl wrote:
BrianMcCord wrote:Fixed blades deploy much faster. Draw it from sheath and its in operation. Even autos require an extra step (draw, deploy, then in operation). Both can be easily concealed, so what makes any type of folder any more dangerous? I guess I just don't get it...
Because it has little to do with fact or reasoning or rational thought
Ok, we are on the same page, then :)
-Brian