FRN Worker ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JonesE

Re: FRN Worker ?

Post by JonesE »

How about a FRN worker with Hap40 or vtoku?

JonesE
sal

Post by sal »

It's a pretty old design. It was the original. we've done a few sprints over the years, but now I think it might be dated.

sal
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Holland wrote:I wanted a worker sprint, but didn't want to fork out that much cash for VG10 personally.
precisely this. Upgrade the steel and I'm interested.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Dear Sal,

I think I will be speaking for few other members here, or at least I hope so. I am member of this forums for very long time, not logging in and sharing my opinions often, rather rarely. Still, Spyderco is something like a family and part of my life, since few of your knives are always around me last 13 years (I am 28). When I saw this thread I was immediately struck by idea of FRN worker, or any affordable variation of this legendary folding knife.

You mentioned it is dated, if I understand this correctly, since english language is not my native language, it means outdated\too old\ surpassed by more modern designs?

Let me point something out, with all respect... I do not think spyderco worker is outdated design at all. I do think this is still very modern and timeless classic. Classic that put foundation to Spyderco company as it is now. For some, Worker is iconic knife, for some who know how to use propper tool it has it´s place amongst other tools.

Personally I would like to see in future legendary Spyderco Worker amongst other classics like Police, Millitary, Delica and Endura etc. This piece of cutlery should be again in production, maybe little bit modified but with similar looks to remind us which knife started our love for knives and Spyderco (for me, Worker was knife I fell in love when 13 years old reading encyclopedy from Olivier Achard).

Why not think about giving it another shot, to give it chance shine amongst current Spyderco stars. Not just first knife you´ve put into production but all your dreams, hopes and incredible effort we all respect and love you for - and that is Spyderco Worker for me. It should be proudly in production, sitting there with affordable price amongst others to remind original idea and first modern folder which gave foundation for modern cultery. I will once give Spyderco as first knife to my children and what more appropriate gift would be than legendary Worker which started this all...

I hope nobody will be offended by rather long emotional post I just wrote. I hope there are no mistakes and everything is clear since I wanted this to be really from bottom of my heart - therefore no Edit.

Thank you very much for attention and maybe potential thought about revival of Worker.

Sincerely

Pavel from little but proud Czech Republic.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

PaloArt wrote:Dear Sal,

I think I will be speaking for few other members here, or at least I hope so. I am member of this forums for very long time, not logging in and sharing my opinions often, rather rarely. Still, Spyderco is something like a family and part of my life, since few of your knives are always around me last 13 years (I am 28). When I saw this thread I was immediately struck by idea of FRN worker, or any affordable variation of this legendary folding knife.

You mentioned it is dated, if I understand this correctly, since english language is not my native language, it means outdated\too old\ surpassed by more modern designs?

Let me point something out, with all respect... I do not think spyderco worker is outdated design at all. I do think this is still very modern and timeless classic. Classic that put foundation to Spyderco company as it is now. For some, Worker is iconic knife, for some who know how to use propper tool it has it´s place amongst other tools.

Personally I would like to see in future legendary Spyderco Worker amongst other classics like Police, Millitary, Delica and Endura etc. This piece of cutlery should be again in production, maybe little bit modified but with similar looks to remind us which knife started our love for knives and Spyderco (for me, Worker was knife I fell in love when 13 years old reading encyclopedy from Olivier Achard).

Why not think about giving it another shot, to give it chance shine amongst current Spyderco stars. Not just first knife you´ve put into production but all your dreams, hopes and incredible effort we all respect and love you for - and that is Spyderco Worker for me. It should be proudly in production, sitting there with affordable price amongst others to remind original idea and first modern folder which gave foundation for modern cultery. I will once give Spyderco as first knife to my children and what more appropriate gift would be than legendary Worker which started this all...

I hope nobody will be offended by rather long emotional post I just wrote. I hope there are no mistakes and everything is clear since I wanted this to be really from bottom of my heart - therefore no Edit.

Thank you very much for attention and maybe potential thought about revival of Worker.

Sincerely

Pavel from little but proud Czech Republic.
What a great post! I agree with all of this as well. I feel like the Spyderco catalog is SO HUGE, with SO MANY models that aren't all huge sellers, that it is a horrific travesty to not have any production models of the knife that started it all. I am a massive fan of Spyderco knives and have well over 50 different models with multiple "safe queens" of my favorites, and I have been carrying my G10 worker sprint every day for the past few weeks and I don't see any other knife knocking it out of my pocket. I have used it for many tasks where the pointy tip is great for puncturing a material to get a cut started. In my opinion this knife should be an evergreen model with at least one model always in production. Even if you just do one G10/Steel combo for a few years, then upgrade to the next hot G10 color and hot Supersteel every five years or so. Just have one out there that gives everyone the opportunity to experience the one that started it all! I would love to see a Hap40 one with Blurple or Navy G10. And a Rookie in the same combo released at the same time.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

steelcity16 wrote: What a great post! I agree with all of this as well. I feel like the Spyderco catalog is SO HUGE, with SO MANY models that aren't all huge sellers, that it is a horrific travesty to not have any production models of the knife that started it all.
I agree. Every catalog has a handful of new models and I'm not sure they're an improvement over the classic Worker.
Ric

Post by Ric »

IMHO it's not dated it's classic, iconic and still cool.

I would love to see a modern, lightweight approach on it.

Please give us a new sprint.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Germinalphrase wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:Yeah, definitely. Maybe a FFG G10 Rookie in Laminated Superblue. I'd still like to try an original G10 Rookie, but perhaps in Hap40 this go round.
I see the g10 Rookies pop up on the auction sites once ina while - but they go for collector's prices, it seems.
Just nabbed a New in Box one on said auction site for $134.95. Not sure if that is a collector's price, but the other 3 recently sold ones went for $115-$150. I figure that ~$135 probably what the going rate would be if this was a current sprint model based on the prices of the Worker G10 sprint and the Caly 3 G10 sprint, so I didn't feel like I was paying scalper prices.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Germinalphrase wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:Yeah, definitely. Maybe a FFG G10 Rookie in Laminated Superblue. I'd still like to try an original G10 Rookie, but perhaps in Hap40 this go round.
I see the g10 Rookies pop up on the auction sites once ina while - but they go for collector's prices, it seems.
Just nabbed a New in Box one on said auction site for $134.95. Not sure if that is a collector's price, but the other 3 recently sold ones went for $115-$150. I figure that ~$135 probably what the going rate would be if this was a current sprint model based on the prices of the Worker G10 sprint and the Caly 3 G10 sprint, so I didn't feel like I was paying scalper prices.
That said, even though I was able to grab one, I still want to see a new sprint/exclusive! Laminated Hap40 or Superblue with Navy or Blurple G10 please! Or maybe BHQ could add this to the Jade G10 family with Hap40 as they just did with the Lum Tanto!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I also think that the Worker is far from outdated.
I'd sure wouldn't complain if it were my EDC knife.

much like SAKs, Opinels or the Buck 110, this is a staple in the history of knife design and evolution and ought to have presence among those that upgraded in materials, designs, features and technology.

As improved as newer offerings from Buck or Victorinox are, the good old timeless models are still sold and remain in the line to remind us of what started it all, proudly displaying the things that first attracted us to knives and are time proven, with each and every model that comes around.
harronek

Post by harronek »

I've been contemplating this idea ( straight from the horses mouth ) that the Worker concept is outdated and run its race .
After much contemplation I think that the problem with the most recent incarnations of the Worker is that it forgot who it was and where it was from .
Forget G10 and all the bells and whistles , the Worker should be the most basic , ground zero , no frills knife in the spyderco range .
FRN with or without liners , VG10 steel and a price that really puts Spyderco back in the pockets of people that sweat for their money .

Ken
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

harronek wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:10 am
I've been contemplating this idea ( straight from the horses mouth ) that the Worker concept is outdated and run its race .
After much contemplation I think that the problem with the most recent incarnations of the Worker is that it forgot who it was and where it was from .
Forget G10 and all the bells and whistles , the Worker should be the most basic , ground zero , no frills knife in the spyderco range .
FRN with or without liners , VG10 steel and a price that really puts Spyderco back in the pockets of people that sweat for their money .

Ken
You took the words right out of my mouth. As much as I like the stainless and G10 variants, FRN seems better suited for a knife called the Worker. Lightweight, with a good grip, give it a stonewashed finish on the blade and clip and denim blue handles. I'd be good for one or two.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

harronek wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:10 am
Well said Ken, I absolutely agree with you!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I would buy this.
- best wishes, Jazz.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

I'd be in to own one of these iconic blades. I happen to love bi-directional FRN and I think it screams Spyderco. If you put these handles on the first Spyderco blade produced, it would be a no brainer for me!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

T_MAC686 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:17 am
I'd be in to own one of these iconic blades. I happen to love bi-directional FRN and I think it screams Spyderco. If you put these handles on the first Spyderco blade produced, it would be a no brainer for me!

FRN worker would be cool. FRN Worker Salt in H1 would be even cooler!
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:56 am
T_MAC686 wrote:

+1 in Spyder Edge!!!
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

The worker is far from retirement. Look at the buck 110 it is still around and i think it still gives them good sales.
And that knife is pre historic compared to the worker.
The sprint run was a nice knife but it was to much an collecters item.
If they would make the worker a linerless frn knife with a vg10 blade or even een ss with a vg10 blade it would sell very well. But i do understand it would be bad for the sales of the delica because it would end up in the same class.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

T_MAC686 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:24 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:56 am
T_MAC686 wrote:

+1 in Spyder Edge!!!

Yep, for sure. All black H1 salts in PE and SE would be very nice. Id buy those for sure. It would he a nice modern spin on the original. I still think its a great design. I love the blade shape. An FRN version would be great. And the low cost vs the G10 sprint would probably get a lot more people to buy one. Especially if it was a Salt model with the newer Salt 2 style handles. Sign me up!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:31 pm

It's a pretty old design. It was the original. we've done a few sprints over the years, but now I think it might be dated.

sal

An oldie but goodie! I LOVED the Worker blade, but I prefer lighter weight knives. An updated blacked out Worker LW Salt with spine and choil jimping, FRN with wire clip, and H1 SE blade would be an a worker for a new generation!

Is it possible to put a H1 SE Worker (with little to no change aside from jimping) blade in a Salt 2 frame?? This might be a great way to bring this model back to the market without too much investment.