Recommend me some models

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Recommend me some models

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm loving my Worker G10 sprint. Recommend me some similar models. My main requirements are that I would like them to be made in the USA or Japan, G10 scales, and similar in size to the Worker. Not super concerned about blade shape or steel since beggars can't be choosers. Can be current production or discontinued. Can be discontinued Sprints and Exclusives as well. Or even upcoming models.

I have a few in mind, although I am just going by online photos. I want to see what you guys come up with! :D

Thanks in advance!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Re: Recommend me some models

Post by Evil D »

Rookie
G10 Delica
G10 Harpy

All similar in size and same lock but different blades and ergonomics.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

currently you can find sprint caly 3 hap40 green g10 would match your sprint worker and also knife center exclusive delica 4 hap40 with pakkawood scales not g10 but really nice
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
kvdo

Post by kvdo »

Baby Jess Horn sprint?
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I was going to mention the Caly 3 as well. It is a great knife.

Knife Center has an S90v Native with green g10 now as well.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

If you are just starting, try to figure out what you like and don’t. Also, do you have any limitations like legal blade length for your area.
Need steel to be stainless or can you dip into the more exotic options? What lock type do you like (back lock, compression lock, frame/ liner, bearing lock, etc).

Consider the Taiwan models too. They are excellent.

If you can find a domino, southard, or pits at a decent price, they are nice and recently discontinued.
The k390 urban is small and lightweight with a fantastic steel. But no lock. I don’t miss it really.
The s110v models are cool and can be found on lots of models (native, manix, ukpk, pm2).

The para’s (2 & 3) are a bit iconic to me. Pick a size and get one. The manix is great for a work knife. You can use it with gloves with all the jimping.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Similar models.....hmmm....in backlock. Try the classics in different steels; like the Delica or Endura in ZDP 189....
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

SF Native wrote:If you are just starting, try to figure out what you like and don’t. Also, do you have any limitations like legal blade length for your area.
Need steel to be stainless or can you dip into the more exotic options? What lock type do you like (back lock, compression lock, frame/ liner, bearing lock, etc).

If you can find a domino, southard, or pits at a decent price, they are nice and recently discontinued.
The k390 urban is small and lightweight with a fantastic steel. But no lock. I don’t miss it really.
The s110v models are cool and can be found on lots of models (native, manix, ukpk, pm2).

The para’s (2 & 3) are a bit iconic to me. Pick a size and get one. The manix is great for a work knife. You can use it with gloves with all the jimping.
This is a good post.^^^

There are sooooo many models that are very similar in look and size (eg. Sage and Native) but might feel different to you and offer different steel and scale options.

If I did it again (I am quick learning but definitely a newbie), I would go to a B&M store to see and touch as many different models as I could. I love the feel of the Para 3 as an example, but many don’t. Same with the Manix 2. Also, figure out which locks you love, like and hate. BIG difference in the liner lock of a Gayle Bradley 2, Para 3 compression lock or Endura’s back lock.

Also, what do you expect from the steel? I have a couple of H1 steel Salt series knives as I am around water a lot. Great steel but I wouldn’t buy another non-serrated edged model as they dull very quickly. Actually, I wouldn’t buy another one at all unless I wanted near-corrosion proof. Also, M4 and some other “super steels” stay sharp as **** but looks like crap to many after a few uses.

P.s. I have almost no idea what I am doing when it comes to all things knife related, so the above is just my own findings/preferences from buying and using knives for the last few months....

All the fun in the journey, I guess!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:Rookie
G10 Delica
G10 Harpy

All similar in size and same lock but different blades and ergonomics.
Great choices, I have been looking for a G10 Delica and Rookie, and I had forgotten about the G10 Harpy. Will definitely be on the lookout for these on the secondary market. Hope to see these come back in Sprint and/or Dealer Exclusive form as well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

PanChango wrote:I was going to mention the Caly 3 as well. It is a great knife.

Knife Center has an S90v Native with green g10 now as well.
I have the Caly 3 but I haven't had a chance to try it yet (can you say too many knives??). How much bigger is the Native? I actually plan on picking up a Blurple G10 S110V Native as probably my next knife.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

kvdo wrote:Baby Jess Horn sprint?
Yep, thought about this one as well. Will look at picking one up while they are still available.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

toomzz wrote:Similar models.....hmmm....in backlock. Try the classics in different steels; like the Delica or Endura in ZDP 189....
Yeah, have plenty of the Delica and Endura in FRN, I just need to try to find the green G10 Sprint versions of these. Or they need to come out with some new G10 sprints! Laminated Superblue with Blurple G10 anyone?? :D
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

SF Native wrote:If you are just starting, try to figure out what you like and don’t. Also, do you have any limitations like legal blade length for your area.

How much bigger is the Para 3 than the Worker? I have a number of Para 2's and they are obviously much bigger than the Worker.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I think the gray g10 Dyad sprint can still be had at a few dealers. Been close to the trigger on that one a few times but others have beat it out. A micarta Calypso Jr is on my grail list, but I keep missing them when they pop up.
:spyder:
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Para 3 is about 3/4” longer.
Q ball is close to same size but pricy. Lock is finicky. But I really like it.
Sage 1 is pretty close, about 1/2” longer.
Firefly is similar size, but the clip is challenging.
As others have said the caly 3 is close too if you can find one.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Delica - Pakkawood/HAP40, easily one of the nicest pieces to drop last year, you'll have to search the secondary market but well worth the chase.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Fluted CF, Linerless smooth Green g10, or s90v/cpm 154 composite Native 5.
There's a lot of nice Natives to choose from.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I can't add much to all the great advice above, but would emphasize trying to make it to a B&M whenever possible to try them out in hand. If I were buying a smaller G-10 knife now, I'd get the green S90V Native exclusive or the Caly 3 HAP40 sprint. You might also be interested in the Kiwi 4 or G-10 Delica, Para 3 and Q-Ball, mentioned above. I would also suggest branching out to other materials such as carbon fiber and considering Taichung knives, which are famous for their fit and finish. And when you get ready for bigger knives, I would strongly suggest my favorite, the Manix 2, or if you want a more dressy knife, you can't beat the Nishijin R, long discontinued. And, getting back to smaller ones, you might want to handle the Ouroboros and the Junior, which crops up from time to time for around $150 or so. Sounds like a fun journey you're embarking on :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

steelcity16 wrote:I'm loving my Worker G10 sprint. Recommend me some similar models. My main requirements are that I would like them to be made in the USA or Japan, G10 scales, and similar in size to the Worker. Not super concerned about blade shape or steel since beggars can't be choosers. Can be current production or discontinued. Can be discontinued Sprints and Exclusives as well. Or even upcoming models.

I have a few in mind, although I am just going by online photos. I want to see what you guys come up with! :D

Thanks in advance!
Take a look at the Knifecenter.com Forest Green G10 Native 5. It is linerless and not heavy because of that and it is a great looking knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

steelcity16 wrote:
toomzz wrote:Similar models.....hmmm....in backlock. Try the classics in different steels; like the Delica or Endura in ZDP 189....
Yeah, have plenty of the Delica and Endura in FRN, I just need to try to find the green G10 Sprint versions of these. Or they need to come out with some new G10 sprints! Laminated Superblue with Blurple G10 anyone?? :D
Oh yeah.....full superblue blade, even better! I just got me an Ti Endura with damascus VG10, they are awesome too!