BHQ with a hap40 Lum Tanto exclusive?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

BHQ with a hap40 Lum Tanto exclusive?

Post by Surfingringo »

Wow! That’s gonna be an awesome knife. I predict another single day sellout for BHQ. They’ve been knocking it out of the park lately with their exclusives.
abbazaba

Re: BHQ with a hap40 Lum Tanto exclusive?

Post by abbazaba »

They certainly have! I hope they manage it as well as the PM2 release.
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Looking at it, I don't really see the appeal? Can someone enlighten me here? I see the gray one on Spyderco main website, so I guess the only difference is the steel and color. Looks like it can't be carried correctly in the left pocket.

What is great about this knife? Actually asking not being a dick.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

ross8425 wrote:Looking at it, I don't really see the appeal? Can someone enlighten me here? I see the gray one on Spyderco main website, so I guess the only difference is the steel and color. Looks like it can't be carried correctly in the left pocket.

Hey Ross, not sure if you know but the gray one was discontinued years ago. Bob Lum was a famous knifemaker who has since passed away. Spyderco still makes and releases some of his iconic designs but this particular folder has an almost cult like following. Many folks (like myself) are admirers of Bob’s work and this design in particular but arrived to the party too late to get the gray one so I predict between us and the normal collectors there will be big demand.

As far as what it is about the design that makes it so desired? I don’t really know. Maybe just a large classy tanto design? I don’t own any tantos but I’ve always found the lines on this one really beautiful so I’ll probably be in for one.
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

Where did you see this?
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

BrianMcCord wrote:Where did you see this?
Bladehq has been dropping hints on their Instagram.
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Surfingringo wrote:
ross8425 wrote:Looking at it, I don't really see the appeal? Can someone enlighten me here? I see the gray one on Spyderco main website, so I guess the only difference is the steel and color. Looks like it can't be carried correctly in the left pocket.

Hey Ross, not sure if you know but the gray one was discontinued years ago. Bob Lum was a famous knifemaker who has since passed away. Spyderco still makes and releases some of his iconic designs but this particular folder has an almost cult like following. Many folks (like myself) are admirers of Bob’s work and this design in particular but arrived to the party too late to get the gray one so I predict between us and the normal collectors there will be big demand.

As far as what it is about the design that makes it so desired? I don’t really know. Maybe just a large classy tanto design? I don’t own any tantos but I’ve always found the lines on this one really beautiful so I’ll probably be in for one.
Cool! Thank you for the explanation. It looks like a cool knife, for sure. I have owned one tanto (Emerson) but I sold it a while ago. I may check this one out - thank you again :)
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Lance,

I assume this is not lockback but liner/frame lock?

Edited to correct Lance’ spelling. :o
Last edited by anagarika on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris :spyder:
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Huh, had no clue!? Thanks for the heads up here, Lance!
Going back to Caly.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

anagarika wrote:Lanc,

For sure. Being an exclusive that will use all the old tooling, I don’t imagine they changed anything other than the g10, the clip and the choice of steel.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Surfingringo wrote:

For sure. Being an exclusive that will use all the old tooling, I don’t imagine they changed anything other than the g10, the clip and the choice of steel.
I think you’re right lance. However, the grey Lum sprint was different than the original. The sprint changed out a g10 backspaced for stand offs.

That they made those changes for a sprint, seems reasonable they could change something else for this exclusive. But I doubt it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Surfingringo wrote:

Hopefully this new one will have phosphorus bronze washers instead of the teflon ones like the last Lum Tanto sprint.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:

I think you’re right lance. However, the grey Lum sprint was different than the original. The sprint changed out a g10 backspaced for stand offs.

That they made those changes for a sprint, seems reasonable they could change something else for this exclusive. But I doubt it.

I mean technically that doesn't require a change to any tooling. Just someone to reach into the standoff bin and grab some during assembly.
Going back to Caly.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I really hope it not jade..that might actually be a deal breaker for me. Still exciting news though!
Josh
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I think there was more to it than that, but it’s been a few years since I disassembled an original Lum so I can’t say for sure. I think the screws were changed from Phillips screws on both sides of the scales, to torx on one side with stand offs. The sprint was considerably lighter too.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Great looking knife. I imagine it's gonna be spendy.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

murphjd25 wrote:I really hope it not jade..that might actually be a deal breaker for me. Still exciting news though!
It’s 100% Jade.

@liquid_cobra
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I'm guessing $249 retail
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
mb1

Post by mb1 »

It’ll kind of be a shame to scratch up that pretty hollow grind of SUS420.

Hey what’s up with that?? My Hap40 Stretch has SUS410. That’s 10 more SUSes!
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I had one of the gray ones. It was very well built and finished. I sometimes regret selling it but I wasn't using it and it had to go. It was pretty stout and I'd guess it would have lasted a lifetime.

Joe