Domino & Dice: Non-standard clip screws?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mad german

Domino & Dice: Non-standard clip screws?

Post by mad german »

Hey all,

I got a Domino and Dice in the mail and really like the knives. I wanted to put deep carry clips on them, but the screws that I got for all of my other Spydies do not fit. I've got MXG deep carry clips on Natives and PM2 & a Para 3. I used the slightly longer clips that MXG sent and they work fine on those knives, but they don't work on the Domino & Dice. The Domino & Dice clips screws seem slightly smaller with a different thread pitch to them.

What size screws does the Domino and Dice use?
My collection is ever changing!
Johnnie1801

Re: Domino & Dice: Non-standard clip screws?

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Can't you use the screws that came with your knife with the MXG clip?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Can't you use the screws that came with your knife with the MXG clip?
That's what I ended up doing on my Dice.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Can't speak to this specific situation, but I would not count on the hardware from Spyderco knives made in one country to being interchangeable with that made in another. More so even, if anything, between knives made in countries that use metric and those made in Golden.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

I had a similar issue putting an MXG clip on my Bradley folder. The Spyderco factory screws weren't quite long enough, and the screws that MXG provided were too large in diameter. After taking measurements with my caliper and referencing some metric tap and die charts, I concluded the screws are metric. I purchased metric screws in the following size; 2mm x 0.4mm x 6mm. I cannot guarantee that metric size will fit the Dice and/or Domino, but those knives come from the same factory, so they're probably metric as well.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

From past experience the clips and screws from Taichung and Golden are very, very slightly different.
Josh
mad german

Post by mad german »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Can't you use the screws that came with your knife with the MXG clip?
Possibly, the heads on the Spyderco screws are a little bit smaller than those on the MXG screws. I wanted to make sure the screw head was large enough to hold the clip. the holes in the MXG clips seem a little bit larger than those of the Spyderco clip.
mad german

Post by mad german »

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll have to look at getting some replacement screws in the size that SSD mentioned. It's kind of a bummer since I really want to put a deep carry clip on them.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

mad german wrote:
Possibly, the heads on the Spyderco screws are a little bit smaller than those on the MXG screws. I wanted to make sure the screw head was large enough to hold the clip. the holes in the MXG clips seem a little bit larger than those of the Spyderco clip.
I'd give it a try, I was very kindly gifted a Lynch clip to put on my Domino and the standard Spydie screws worked fine.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I have frankly a ridiculous number of aftermarket clips on my Spydies, and I ALWAYS use the stock screws that came with the knife. Lynch clips, MXG Gear/Gnoleb clips, STR clips (good ol' Steve, miss him making his Millie clips!) -- all reattached with stock screws with zero issues. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
mad german

Post by mad german »

Thx guys. I'll have another look-see. I certainly don't want to bugger up the threads on the Ti side of these gorgeous knives.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

mad german wrote:Thx guys. I'll have another look-see. I certainly don't want to bugger up the threads on the Ti side of these gorgeous knives.
also keep in mind that the newer MXG clips are very similar in thickness to the stock spyderco clips, so screw length shouldn't be an issue.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

My MXG clip must have been an older thicker version, there was no way the stock screws were going to work, the lead-in screw thread wouldn't engage the threads on the liner. If the screw doesn't engage the female threads at least 2 to 3 full rotations, you're setting yourself up for issues with stripped out threads, and a clip that isn't securely fastened to the scale.
mad german

Post by mad german »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
mad german wrote:Thx guys. I'll have another look-see. I certainly don't want to bugger up the threads on the Ti side of these gorgeous knives.
also keep in mind that the newer MXG clips are very similar in thickness to the stock spyderco clips, so screw length shouldn't be an issue.
It seemed as if the diameter of the screw head was a little smaller on the Spyderco screws vs that of those from MXG. My concern was that the clip might not be held as securely with the Spyderco screws.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

SSD_777 wrote:My MXG clip must have been an older thicker version, there was no way the stock screws were going to work, the lead-in screw thread wouldn't engage the threads on the liner. If the screw doesn't engage the female threads at least 2 to 3 full rotations, you're setting yourself up for issues with stripped out threads, and a clip that isn't securely fastened to the scale.
yeah, my MXG Southard clip is much thicker than my PM2 or Dice clips. I think it's a "CQI." :p
mad german

Post by mad german »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
That's what I ended up doing on my Dice.
I installed deep carry clips on my Domino and Dice last night, I just reused the Spyderco screws. The only reservation that I had was that the Spyderco screw heads are ever so slightly smaller in diameter than the ones that MXG sends with their clips. But there's 3 screws holding the clip onto the frame, so I'm sure it'll be ok.

Thx again for the help guys. As always, it's appreciated.
rokair

Post by rokair »

SSD_777 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:47 am
I had a similar issue putting an MXG clip on my Bradley folder. The Spyderco factory screws weren't quite long enough, and the screws that MXG provided were too large in diameter. After taking measurements with my caliper and referencing some metric tap and die charts, I concluded the screws are metric. I purchased metric screws in the following size; 2mm x 0.4mm x 6mm. I cannot guarantee that metric size will fit the Dice and/or Domino, but those knives come from the same factory, so they're probably metric as well.
Thank you...the metric size 2mm x 0.4mm x 6mm is some of the most helpful information I have had recently. Spyderco is sending me some replacement clip screws for my Bradley Folder but the heads break on them so easily that I have been wanting to just Order some good Stainless screws but I could figure out the size. I know that they will look different on the black knife and clip then the black screws but for a EDC I think they will look fine and be stronger.

I know that you 6mm is a longer length than the factory screws for your MXG clip. So, I assume that I will need either 4mm or 5mm and at this point I am more than willing to just order both.

I just wish as others have stated that Spyderco would publish the screw sizes.
Thank you,
Rokair/Jim Wilson
Jeffersonville, IN
Current EDC Spyderco Bradley Folder 1