Interesting spalting in tamarind board

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
phillipsted

Interesting spalting in tamarind board

Post by phillipsted »

I bought some spalted tamarind wood this week from my local hardwood dealer. Check out this interesting spalting when I re-sawed one of the boards! :cool:

TedP

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qDDALiSSTRJn7tqk1
xceptnl

Re: Interesting spalting in tamarind board

Post by xceptnl »

That is quite unique
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Thanks, Landon! My Brother gave me a small aser engraver for Christmas that works on wood and leather. I was hoping that the Spydie outline would be a bit heavier/darker so that it would stand out from the spalting on the wood, but it kind of blends in. Almost like a stealth logo...

TedP
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Parasites are dangerous, I hope you have worn protective clothing ... :D
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Interesting, I had never thought of Tamarind wood, I love the goo from Tamarind pods in drinks and as a food condiment. Is the wood pretty dense and has it been stabilized?
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I've used spalted tamarind a few times and usually get it from a local hardwood vendor. I'm using it to build jewelry chests and other small items, so it isn't stabilized. It has a tendency to move a lot with humidity levels, so if you are going to use it on something like knife scales, it would be best to used stabilized wood.

As for the wood itself, it is fantastic! Dense, relatively fine grained, easy to work and takes a great finish. As with all spalted wood, you sometimes run across punky or soft areas where the rot has taken hold. But you can fix small spots with a bit of CA glue.

TedP
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

phillipsted wrote:I've used spalted tamarind a few times and usually get it from a local hardwood vendor. I'm using it to build jewelry chests and other small items, so it isn't stabilized. It has a tendency to move a lot with humidity levels, so if you are going to use it on something like knife scales, it would be best to used stabilized wood.

As for the wood itself, it is fantastic! Dense, relatively fine grained, easy to work and takes a great finish. As with all spalted wood, you sometimes run across punky or soft areas where the rot has taken hold. But you can fix small spots with a bit of CA glue.

TedP
Thank you for the information. I have one knife with a scale of pistachio wood and one with olive wood, now I need another one with tamarind wood, all things I enjoy.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.