2017 - Lightweight/FRN Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

Re: 2017 - Lightweight/FRN Chaparral

Post by gull wing »

Sentry Solutions is a good product against rust, and it's liquid so it gets in the pivot area as well.......Just a little does it.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
cheeseheaded

Post by cheeseheaded »

I have been EDCing my new little Chapy FRN this week, and I really love the thin slicing blade and light, ultra minimal carry weight. Unfortunately, I am having a bit of an issue with the wire clip. I carry in my left side pocket, ao I flipped the clip. I couldn't, even after multiple attempts, get the screw and clip to seat in as securely on the opposite side of knife as compared to when the knife was received. I ended up getting everything farely tight and just decided to try it. After a week of carry, there was a decrease in clip tension, and I had to adjust the clip position and re-tighten everything. It is almost like the channels in the FRN where the two wire ends sit were not routered quite deep enough on this side of the knfe. This allows the wires to eventually work loose and the clip can to roll/twist. Has anyone else run into this issue with their FRN Chapy or another knife?
Nate

Post by Nate »

cheeseheaded wrote:Has anyone else run into this issue with their FRN Chapy or another knife?
Yes actually, my frn Chap came on Monday and I had some difficulty when I flipped the clip as well. However, in my case after a couple of tries making sure everything was fully seated and screw threads lined up, etc, I CAREFULLY applied more torque than I normally would and really tighened her down and it seems fine. It's held fast and I haven't had any problems so far.

I did notice that the ends of the wire protrude slightly from the frn on this side and then dive down deeper under the screw. I haven't inspected it closely enough to be sure and probably won't until/unless the clip loosens up, but you may be right that the mold recess on that is just a hair off in terms of depth or maybe is very slightly angled.

One other thing is that I always move the original clip screw with the wire clip when changing positions. Iirc, the clip screw is a bit longer than the one on the other side.

I hope you're able to get it sorted, hopefully mine remains a non-issue from here. I was really glad this clip wasn't virtually cemented into place like the clip on my Sliverax was when I moved it lol, although LocTite might be something to consider on yours if it keeps loosening up.
:spyder:
cheeseheaded

Post by cheeseheaded »

Nate wrote:although LocTite might be something to consider on yours if it keeps loosening up.
I will see how it goes and maybe try that, but I also wonder if a wider top to the retaining screw might help. The current one has minimal overlap with both of the wires, and I think the tork on the clip allows the wires to work loose even though the screw seems to be tight.
BelgiumRofls

Post by BelgiumRofls »

How much do these lockbars break in? I'm accustom to fondling a GB1, and this thing is eating my thumb alive.
If the pressure needed to disengage the locks of my Dfly, Caly, and Native are a 3/10, 4/10 and 5/10 respectively, this Chap is a 10/10.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That is odd. My Chap LW releases pretty easily. Smooth, too. If it is that difficult, I think I would send it back to Spyderco and have them look it over.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

I'm not having an issue at all, although, that's not helping you.
Nate

Post by Nate »

BelgiumRofls wrote:How much do these lockbars break in? I'm accustom to fondling a GB1, and this thing is eating my thumb alive.
If the pressure needed to disengage the locks of my Dfly, Caly, and Native are a 3/10, 4/10 and 5/10 respectively, this Chap is a 10/10.
Mine was very heavy initially, but it broke in fine and feels just like my older CF Chap now. I sped up the break in period by working the lock bar a bunch over the first day or two. Using the body of a plastic pen or a sharpie to push down the bar saved some wear on my thumb. :)

In a post somewhere, Sharp Guy talked about adjusting the spring position inside the knife as another way to reduce the lock bar tension, but that's a potentially risky move and I didn't try it since mine broke in without issue.
:spyder:
BelgiumRofls

Post by BelgiumRofls »

Thanks for your replies. My stubbornness has about ran out, I think this little guy's going back for exchange. I hope I haven't sacrificed my thumbs breaking it in to a "barely acceptable" state :rolleyes:
Everything else about this model is stellar :)
I hate waiting for them to come in the mail. Sending them away is worse.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I think it could do with a Boye dent. Spreads out the force a tad. I see they softened the edges of the lock bar thumb area, but it's a bit stiff. Nice knife though.
- best wishes, Jazz.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

I'd love to better understand if it's a variation between units or just a preference difference between users.
mattman

Post by mattman »

BelgiumRofls wrote:How much do these lockbars break in? I'm accustom to fondling a GB1, and this thing is eating my thumb alive.
I don't have one yet, but is the *lockbar* pivot on this screwed or pinned? If it's a screw, I'd wager you could adjust it out...?

(Off to look closer at pics)
mattman

Post by mattman »

Slumblor wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... fR8diDZC3c
Slumblors vid here shows pretty clearly screw construction... I would be inclined to try adjusting the lockbar pivot, prior to sending off... If that's within your skill set, of course.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I've got an original Chaparral, with the CPMS30V blade. That blade has gotten mangled by ill-informed sharpening, and a stonewashing experiment.

I'm thinking of getting one of these lightweights and swapping the blades, to make one luxury frankenknife (CF/XHP) and one beater (FRN/S30V). But first, I'd have to verify: do all Chaparrals have the same blade?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Nate wrote:
In a post somewhere, Sharp Guy talked about adjusting the spring position inside the knife as another way to reduce the lock bar tension, but that's a potentially risky move and I didn't try it since mine broke in without issue.
I just moved the spring forward a tiny bit and it made a noticeable difference. I can understand why some would be leary of of doing this but the knife still locks up tight so I'm not worried about it. By accident, I did the same thing to my CF Chap almost 2 years ago. No issues with that one either. It's an easy thing to try and simple to put the spring back to the original location if you don't like the results.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

dj moonbat wrote:I've got an original Chaparral, with the CPMS30V blade. That blade has gotten mangled by ill-informed sharpening, and a stonewashing experiment.

I'm thinking of getting one of these lightweights and swapping the blades, to make one luxury frankenknife (CF/XHP) and one beater (FRN/S30V). But first, I'd have to verify: do all Chaparrals have the same blade?
The internal stop pins are in different locations. The blade on the FRN knife actually has a second hole and it's been suggested that it could be so the stop pin could be installed there for use in the other Chap models. So it's possible the blade from the FRN model could be used in your S30V Chap but, as far as I know, the blade in the older model will not work in the FRN knife.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Sharp Guy wrote:
dj moonbat wrote:I've got an original Chaparral, with the CPMS30V blade. That blade has gotten mangled by ill-informed sharpening, and a stonewashing experiment.

The internal stop pins are in different locations. The blade on the FRN knife actually has a second hole and it's been suggested that it could be so the stop pin could be installed there for use in the other Chap models. So it's possible the blade from the FRN model could be used in your S30V Chap but, as far as I know, the blade in the older model will not work in the FRN knife.
Bummer. Thanks for the info, though.
BelgiumRofls

Post by BelgiumRofls »

I neglected to give any update. Maybe it will be of interest to future readers.
Got home to my torx bits and nano oil, and gave the knife a cleaning. After some combination of more opening and closing, cleaning, lubing, and tweaking screws, my knife has gone from an extreme case to very satisfactory. :D

Also, what a beast of a knife. Poor k390 Urban is gathering dust. :p We're really spoiled with LBKs with these two, Dflys, Lil Native, upcoming Rhino, etc.
mattman

Post by mattman »

BelgiumRofls wrote:I neglected to give any update. Maybe it will be of interest to future readers.
Got home to my torx bits and nano oil, and gave the knife a cleaning. After some combination of more opening and closing, cleaning, lubing, and tweaking screws, my knife has gone from an extreme case to very satisfactory. :D

Also, what a beast of a knife. Poor k390 Urban is gathering dust. :p We're really spoiled with LBKs with these two, Dflys, Lil Native, upcoming Rhino, etc.
Awesome news! Did adjusting the lock pivot help?
BelgiumRofls

Post by BelgiumRofls »

mattman wrote:Awesome news! Did adjusting the lock pivot help?
I believe so. Also had some wearing in where the lockbar travels across (only) one liner also. I assume the lock easing up was due to both the wear-in and over-tightened screws. Bank vault lock-up.