Interest in Cruwear

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mpcgimli

Interest in Cruwear

Post by mpcgimli »

I recently got very interested in Cruwear. Does anybody know why , at the moment, Spyderco does not put out production models in Cruwear? Is it a pain to machine, and/or expensive, or is there not enough demand for it? What do you think?
npad69

Re: Interest in Cruwear

Post by npad69 »

just like superblue, m4, maxamet, etc.. it is not classified as being 'stainless' (if i'm not mistaken)

so far, my PM2 in cruwear hasn't even rusted yet even after i stored it wet from rain or tap water so honestly i'm starting to doubt if this is indeed non-stainless
attila

Post by attila »

At only 7.5% Chromium, Cruwear is definitely not a stainless steel. Similarly to, but a bit less than D2 (12% Chromium), it can be called a semi-stainless. Just keep it away from salty environments, and it should stay relatively uncorroded.

I've cut tomatos and various other veggies with mine with no sign of chemical reaction, so I'm liking it too!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Nate

Post by Nate »

Maybe worth mentioning that Mule Team 27 in Micro-melt PD1 is available. This has a very similar composition to Cruwear.
:spyder:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Cruwear is quite stainless and more so than D2, CPMD2 or PSF27 in my experience.

I have yet to see Cruwear rust, pit or discolor and have used it for a lot of food prep, gardening (plant goo) and I even left it sitting in a glass of white vinegar for over two hours and nothing. I have seen more corrosion on supposed stainless steels including S30V.

I have seen CPM D2, D2 and PSF27 all staIn or discolor rather easily. I have also put CPM D2 in a glass of white vinegar and it turned very dark grey in about an hour.

The percent of chromium does not always tell the whole story. Carbon content is a factor too and D2 has more carbon.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am surprised that there hasn't been at least one regular production model in Cruwear. I am not surprised that Cruwear isn't offered as a base steel across the whole Golden lineup but I do believe it could be the base steel for some specific model. The Shaman has a robust grind and Cruwear could have been a good option for the regular production steel in that model in my opinion.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
attila

Post by attila »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Cruwear is quite stainless and more so than D2, CPMD2 or PSF27 in my experience.

I have yet to see Cruwear rust, pit or discolor and have used it for a lot of food prep, gardening (plant goo) and I even left it sitting in a glass of white vinegar for over two hours and nothing. I have seen more corrosion on supposed stainless steels including S30V.

I have seen CPM D2, D2 and PSF27 all staIn or discolor rather easily. I have also put CPM D2 in a glass of white vinegar and it turned very dark grey in about an hour.

The percent of chromium does not always tell the whole story. Carbon content is a factor too and D2 has more carbon.
Thanks for the great info! I've not had the chance to compare the steels' corrosion resistance, so it's news to me that CPM Cruwear is that resistant.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've wondered why it wasn't a regular production steel a few times. I will say I'm glad peoples livelihoods and jobs aren't dependent on my decisions about knives and steel. That might take a lot of the fun out of it.

Joe
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Save me a spot on the cruwear bandwagon. One of my favorite steels for my everyday (non saltwater) knives. Toughness, wear resistance, corrosion resistance, sharpening response...this steel strikes an excellent balance of many properties. I was a bit surprised that cruwear was used for sprints and Maxamet for regular production. I thought it would have been the opposite, but what do I know? In any case I would certainly be happy to see more Cruwear.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not interested in Cruwear or, for that matter, in any other non-stainless blade steel.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
FK

Post by FK »

Really like Cruwear from Spyderco.

2 - Military
2 - PM2
3 - Para 3

Only slightly out of control.

Regards,
FK
Member since Feb 17, 2001
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I've been whining about getting Cruwear in regular production several times before and was also surprised to see Maxamet become production and Cruwear remain just Sprints.
I believe that something like Manix 2 LW/Native 5 LW (and PM2/Military?) in Cruwear regular production version should be popular enough.
Would also be very nice to see more Cruwear make it into regular use instead of so many Sprints not getting used as collectors items.. Cruwear is such a great user steel.
jdw

Post by jdw »

The Deacon wrote:Not interested in Cruwear or, for that matter, in any other non-stainless blade steel.
That kind of surprises me. Do you live in a particularly humid/wet environment or are there other reasons that you prefer stainless? Thanks. Just kind of wondering.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I’ve asked this question before too. So in case we get a thread petition response this time, here’s my signature.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

jdw wrote:
The Deacon wrote:Not interested in Cruwear or, for that matter, in any other non-stainless blade steel.
That kind of surprises me. Do you live in a particularly humid/wet environment or are there other reasons that you prefer stainless? Thanks. Just kind of wondering.
He’s the rain cloud at every non stainless steel parade. Some just really, really dislike non stainless steels.
I like Cru-wear myself, but I have given up hoping for more outside of very limited releases. I don’t know if it is a supply issue or a marketing issue, but other makers have even fewer models in Cru-wear.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

jdw wrote:
Believe me, he is in the majority.
Unfortunately, most would prefer stainless butter knife steel to M4, K390, Maxamet, etc.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I spent some time last spring clearing trails, and dreaming of a machete in Cru-Wear. For a hard use (like machete) steel, I haven't seen anything else that competes.
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Cruwear is quite stainless and more so than D2, CPMD2 or PSF27 in my experience.

Same here, I am using my Manix Cruwear to do a lot of food processing, including oranges every morning, and I have yet to see even the slightest trace of discoloration or staining.
Just cleaning the blade afterwards, sometimes with a dab of dish soap, rinsing with tap water and drying immediately. Very light maintenance, and I do not keep the blade protected at all. That has been going on for one year (indeed alternating with a few other knives) and it looks like new.
Great steel, easy to sharpen on the Sharpmaker and keeps a fine edge.

Gerard
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I would welcome more of the Signature Series offerings in a Cruwear option. Cruwear is a popular and proven blade steel and is a favorite of many here, including myself. I do not like or own, and will not buy, any of the stainless steels, (just a personal preference of mine), so Cruwear would be a welcome addition. I would love to see it in a Manix 2 or as a Sprint Run in the Chaparral series.

Dave
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I too would welcome more Spyderco Cruwear options.
I carry and use my Cruwear Manix 2 at least twice a week, and I love it. After repeatedly cutting meats with BBQ sauce (vinegar) it developed an extremely faint (barely visible) shadow of a patina.
Recently I decided to make a few Cruwear knives and learn more about the steel. About 2 weeks ago I finished my first Cruwear knife that I heat treated to 63-64. OMG! The high hardness combined with the high Vanadium content makes a steel that is incredibly hard to grind and finish, post H/T. Lately, I've been making knives from 20CV more than anything else (usually HRC 62). This Cruwear blade ate ceramic belts so fast it made me think 20CV is "easy" to grind and finish. So fast in fact, I'll be hesitant to make make more Cruwear blades in the future. I love the result and the knife is awesome..but what a p.i.t.a.! If anything, I now have an even greater appreciation for my :spyder: Spyderco-made :spyder: Cruwear knives! :D

CK
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.