Shaman vs Gayle Bradley(2)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Strider

Shaman vs Gayle Bradley(2)

Post by Strider »

How does the Shaman compare to the Gayle Bradley in use? I have never used or held a Gayle Bradley and only recently received my Shaman. I have not been able to find any comparisons between the two, but would very much appreciate to hear how they stack up against each other.
hoimin

Re: Shaman vs Gayle Bradley(2)

Post by hoimin »

Shaman:
OAL: 8.00"
Handle: 4.42"
Handle Thickness: 0.53"
Blade Length: 3.58"
Edge Length: 3.01"
Blade Thickness: 0.15"
Weight: 5.20 oz

GB2:
OAL: 8.42"
Handle: 4.82"
Handle Thickness: 0.49"
Blade Length: 3.60"
Edge Length: 3.38"
Blade Thickness: 0.12"
Weight: 4.40 oz

Note, I only have the GB2, which I love*.

The Shaman is stouter with more lateral strength. The GB2 is more of a slicer, especially with the hollow grind, vs the Shaman's thicker stock flat grind.
The Shaman's handle appears to be more comfortable with true curves, compared to the GB2's proud liner faux-rounding. In gloves, it shouldn't make a difference.
The GB2 usage can flex between dressier carry to outdoor work; the Shaman is more solidly in the hard work side of things.
Both have nice multi-grip handles for a variety of tasks; the Shaman's forward choil gives it more hard grip indexing, while the GB2's thumbramp and tip swedge allows for safer piercing movements.
S30v on the Shaman will resist staining far better than the M4 on the GB2, but M4 will be tougher and not chip as easily as the Shaman. I would personally use a thicker sharpening angle on the Shaman compared to the GB2. I would also be more likely to pry with the Shaman compared to the GB2.
The Shaman's lock will be easier to disengage on a regular basis, while the GB2's liner lock requires more force in towards the spine before deflecting the liner back.

* It is my personal opinion that the GB2 is Spyderco's best bang for the buck product in their lineup, even better than the PM2s/P3s, or the lower priced FRN models; if you're okay with liner locks and 3+" blades, and non-stainless, it's the one to get.
Strider

Post by Strider »

That was a very nice write up, thanks
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

hoimin, you killed it with that post! I'll add that both feel lighter in hand than the above numbers suggest, especially the GB2.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Gayle Bradley 1 is a better choice IMHO. If you can get one. I just wish it has stainless steel and a bit lighter handle. Otherwise it's a **** of a knife. Very nice blade shape, thin edge, slice like a dream, handle ergonomy with hidden choil is very good, almost like a fixed blade.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't own either but I'm a bit OCD and I can tell a lot about a knife based on looks alone (as far as ergonomics and such) and for my money it's the Shaman hands down. I'd also prefer the GB1 over the GB2. That's not to say the GB1 is bad in any way, I just know what to expect from both and know what I prefer.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

I own a GB2 and am with hoimin on the GB2 being the best bang for the buck. hoimin definitely hit the nail on the head.

If I had to pick between the two I would pick the GB2. Better slicer, I prefer M4, more cutting edge, and I am less interested in finger choils these days. Eventually there will be a Shaman sprint run and when it is released in a different steel I'm sure I will get one. I have nothing against S30V though.

Either knife will be a workhorse for you.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Strider wrote:That was a very nice write up, thanks
No problem, Strider! Welcome to the forums!

And thanks, abbazaba/rybu0305! I agree with abbazaba about the weight as well. For me, there are weight tiers that just sort of feel the same/negligible in pocket and in hand.
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

The GB2 is the sharpest out of the box and best built knife I own. Just incredible IMO.

With the exception of my carbon Moras, it is also my least corrosion resistant. And hard to sharpen. Not a GB2 thing, just a M4 thing. If you really like shiny things, I would look at the Shaman. The GB will go from factory new looking to stained and used after cutting a couple of lemons or limes.

My favourite knife, but the GB2 won’t retain it’s NIB character unless you keep it away from any and all moisture.
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

SharpieB wrote:The GB will go from factory new looking to stained and used after cutting a couple of lemons or limes.

My favourite knife, but the GB2 won’t retain it’s NIB character unless you keep it away from any and all moisture.
That is part of the fun. I have come to appreciate the steels that show some character after use. No, M4 is not the most corrosion resistant but it is one of the easiest steels I can get to hair popping sharp quickly on a sharpmaker. I don't think it is hard to sharpen.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
standy99

Post by standy99 »

GB (1) is the best bang for your buck in knifeland bar none.
Will never handle a GB 2 as the 1 will out last me.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

standy99 wrote:GB (1) is the best bang for your buck in knifeland bar none.
Will never handle a GB 2 as the 1 will out last me.
Agree. https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/gay ... se.714931/
A seven years old and on going thread. :spyder:
Chris :spyder:
Strider

Post by Strider »

The shaman feels amazing in my hand. I think it is going to replace the PM2 for me. Will be interested in a sprint run but fear they will cost more than I am willing to pay (I got mine at the 2017 pricing). But this thread did encourage me to order a GB1. Found a new one at a really good price. Should be hear tomorrow.