Sal, now that I have a Shaman- I have to ask

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Frunkey

Re: Sal, now that I have a Shaman- I have to ask

Post by Frunkey »

I also recently acquired the Shaman, and it is an amazing knife! I love the handles, and see them as having potential for some excellent iterations.

A Shaman in M390/204p/M4/S90V/S110V is a must-buy. Carbon fiber handles will be incredible! Polished, blasted, or peel-ply? Personally, I would love to see a Micarta handle on the Shaman.

Cheers,
Frunkey :spyder:
sharpspydie

Post by sharpspydie »

Canvas Micarta and Micro Melt PD1 or A11.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I simply cannot see any way this knife design will not be a hit. It's amazing. :spyder:
This is a highly refined pinnacle design, IMO. A joy to use, and at a nice price. I decided to get one in SpyderEdge.

I feel like this will also be a huge draw for crossover customers from other brands, and to those who may be "unfamiliar" with the Spyderco aesthetics.
While many of my favorite knives do have a thumb ramp, I don't necessarily miss it here (like I do just a bit on the Native).

The stout weight is actually quite fitting, but probably the only area I can see nitpicking. One of my bigger concerns before actually using one.
But if this becomes as big a hit as I imagine it will, I'd hope it gets pushed out as maybe one of the first designs with a contoured FRN LW variation! :cool:
Going back to Caly.
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

Evil D wrote:Well I've only been preaching for this for about 7 or so years. Rounded and contoured is where it's at.
PREACH IT!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I'm really looking forward to trying these. I wonder if the stonewashed blades will be carried over to the exclusives and sprints. I'd like to see a few stonewashed exclusives.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
sharpbear

Post by sharpbear »

Shaman in Elmax sounds awesome!!! A beefy, highly ergonomic user with one of the toughest stainless steels on the market. Winning combo!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:Hi TBD,

The Shaman is kind of an experimental model. I spent years developing the model and a great deal of that time was in many different handles. Materials, textures, etc. until I finally decided on the current iteration. We'll watch reaction to the model before doing too much. I'd like a carbon fiber S90V version. If its popular, I'm sure one of our distributors will want various exclusive variations.

sal
Awesome Sal. I would love to see this as part of the Jade M4 and Red M390 exclusive series! Blurple S110V would be amazing as well! If you can't tell i'm a huge fan of the translucent G10 scales. Maybe a Salt model with LC200N in translucent bright yellow G10?? ;)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

I think it's a great handle shape and style for any stout or longer work knife. I don't mind the thin slabs for small out-and-in office slicers.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I am hoping that when the PM2 gains FRN scales as a variant that they will have the contours molded in.
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

I am a fan of the contours, but can we get more texture? It seems as though the Shaman is a medium to heavyish duty knife. A knife like that gets wet from the environment or your sweaty hand. Slick grips don’t work well in that situation. Just my humble opinion as a Shaman owner hard use knife lover.
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

Bodog wrote:A shaman with polished marble carbon fiber and M4 would be a must have.
+1

Gerard
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Alchemy1 wrote:I am a fan of the contours, but can we get more texture? It seems as though the Shaman is a medium to heavyish duty knife. A knife like that gets wet from the environment or your sweaty hand. Slick grips don’t work well in that situation. Just my humble opinion as a Shaman owner hard use knife lover.
yes, i agree with this. i prefer a rough texture as on the Red DLT M390 PM2, which seemed to have rougher scales than other PM2 I own.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Pants shredder? No thanks
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

twinboysdad wrote:Pants shredder? No thanks
I’m not asking for Emersonesque G-10 (no knock to them. I own and love all my Emersons). It just frankly doesn’t make sense for a hard use knife to have slick scales. I’ve never understood it even on other knives like CC Striders. Unless, the knife is more of a carry piece than a tool and then I get wanting to scacrafice texture for ease of carry.
Mastermachetier

Post by Mastermachetier »

Or a jade shaman in m4
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to see that style of rounded G-10 on more knives. Manix 2, please!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

TomAiello wrote:I'd love to see that style of rounded G-10 on more knives. Manix 2, please!
I would like to see this on a couple of Manix 2 models at least, maybe just a bit more 3 D on the scales and more rounding on the edges, although for me it's already more comfortable than the PM2.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Strider

Post by Strider »

I am new to the more expensive knife game. I actually ordered my first PM2 and Shaman within a week of each other. Kept the Shaman and returned the PM2 before I learned that its considered one of the most popular knives ever. I think that says something about the Shaman. At least to me.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Please god no more Jade G10.
Josh
bh49

Post by bh49 »

twinboysdad wrote:Pants shredder? No thanks
+1
smooth contoured scales are the part of the design beauty, as well as the blade shape
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian