Peppermint Essential Oil for Headaches

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Peppermint Essential Oil for Headaches

Post by Doc Dan »

It works!

I get these bad headaches fairly frequently, even after cutting out all caffeine. That is apparently not the cause. I think they are cluster headaches, similar to a migraine, but different triggers. I can take a big dose of Naproxen followed Panadol/Tylenol to make it work better, and that only makes a very little dent. My wife is into all those essential oils, so one day she comes in with some peppermint. I knew she was trying to help, so I tolerated it. What do you know?! My headache went away and that had never happened like that. The next time I got one, same thing, and the next, and so on. That stuff really does help.

She puts it in all of the places where I feel the pounding, along the back of my neck where it joins my head, and on my brow. Soon, very soon, I feel it beginning to fade.

Maybe this will help someone, here.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Re: Peppermint Essential Oil for Headaches

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have had sinus problems all my life and peppermint essential oil works great. If I can smell it then it opens me right up. I also have one specifically designed to help you breathe that is a blend of peppermint and a few others. I have a large beard and mustache and actually just apply a little to my facial hair and I can smell it for quite a while.

I think you have offered some sound advice here. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

My wife is also into that "voodoo" stuff, LOL or so we joke about in my house. I told her about this thread and she wants to know if your wife is using it "NEAT" or with a carrier oil. Appreciate your feedback Doc. I can't say I am completely convinced, but I know the last time I had sinus congestion, the oil mixture my wife used on me seemed to work. Still I think a jar of Vicks vapor rub is cheaper, but it is her "hobby" and she says very little about my Spydie addiction.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

My wife suffers from migraines and she uses this stuff all the time. She says it helps, but it doesn’t get rid of the migraines. She’s given it to me a bunch of times over the years for my headaches and I didn’t find that it helped. I will say, it’s good at making my eyes burn when I go to give her a hug and she doesn’t warn me that she’s wearing it.

I’m glad it’s working for you Doc.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

My son uses Tea tree oil for cluster headaches. Peppermint smells a lot better in comparison. Doc Dan, my doctor told me to drink soda with caffeine for headaches. Did I get bum advice?

Joe
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Thankfully I've been free of such issues to date, but I'll certainly bank this advice.

LACK of caffeine is a sure way to give me a headache, however, but that's easy to fix.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

If you have sinus issues then peppermint oil will definitely help....Olbas Oil (if you can get it in the Colonies) is even better: Wowzers, your sinus feel like aircraft hangers after a whiff of that. It's less pungent than Tea Tree too.

Also (and this is the voice of experience here) you might be grinding your teeth or clenching them for long periods.
Do it enough and you can get all the symptoms of sinusitis- even nose bleeds!...But shed-loads of pain in the sinus areas from pulling the muscles of your skull and making your jaw joint inflamed...Worth getting a check over with your dentists
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Mastiff wrote:My son uses Tea tree oil for cluster headaches. Peppermint smells a lot better in comparison. Doc Dan, my doctor told me to drink soda with caffeine for headaches. Did I get bum advice?

Joe
I am not sure Joe, the whole concept seems logical to me, but I am still skeptical overall. We use the oils in a diffuser almost daily and I will admit the tea tree oil and lemongrass are a pleasing arouma, but i am not sure how effective they are at what they are claimed to help with.
*Landon*
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

xceptnl wrote:My wife is also into that "voodoo" stuff, LOL or so we joke about in my house. I told her about this thread and she wants to know if your wife is using it "NEAT" or with a carrier oil. Appreciate your feedback Doc. I can't say I am completely convinced, but I know the last time I had sinus congestion, the oil mixture my wife used on me seemed to work. Still I think a jar of Vicks vapor rub is cheaper, but it is her "hobby" and she says very little about my Spydie addiction.
She uses a carrier oil. She dilutes it with a bit of extra virgin coconut oil.

Hey! I'll not knock Vicks. That stuff is great. It will also unstop a nose, kill fungus, clear pimples, etc. It simple has oils in the Vaseline. That is why it works.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Mastiff wrote:My son uses Tea tree oil for cluster headaches. Peppermint smells a lot better in comparison. Doc Dan, my doctor told me to drink soda with caffeine for headaches. Did I get bum advice?

Joe
Well, it will work with the right kind of headaches. It is the caffeine, mostly, that is doing the job. A good cup of black tea or coffee will do the same. I used to do that, as well. Coffee and tea also work with asthma and bronchitis as caffeine works like adrenaline.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Migraines/headaches are a lifestyle for me. They were hereditary to begin with, but I also had a brain surgery in 2004 (non related) which really seemed to make them worse. I've cut out all caffeine and I try to stick to a very strict sleep schedule, it seems that sleeping in or staying up late was a major trigger for me. When I get a really bad headache now I'll usually take some Excedrin Migraine and/or Advil and sometimes drink a Coke or coffee along with it if it's really bad. Some days it's enough, some days it doesn't help at all.

I've also found one of these things REALLY helps sometimes, to the point that once in a while it completely knocks out my headache.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

What in the world is THAT?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have struggled with migraines a lot. Caffeine helps for sure but care must be taken because dehydration, at least for me, can contribute to them and caffiene can dehydrate you.

In general my main approach is to eat regularly, stay hydrated and get adequate sleep. If I skip meals, get dehydrated or get over tired I am more apt to trigger a migraine. It isn't so much that those are triggers but they make it easier to be triggered. My main trigger is light and mainly bright lights or flickering lights. Also fluorescent lights are worse.

I have found two tricks that help me a lot besides taking excedrin and drinking a lot of water. The first are "gamer glasses" or some type of computer glasses. They are designed to filter out the blue spectrum. Blue light is supposed to contribute to eye strain for video game players and people who work in front of a computer. Blue wavelengths are thought to contribute to migraines and they also effect mood and sleep cycles. I buy warm spectrum lightbulbs instead of cool white bulbs for these reasons. When I feel a migraine coming on I put the glasses on and it helps a lot. This is anytime I get one, not just when watching a video screen.

The second trick is taking Dramamine. If a migraine gets bad enough I do this. It gets rid of more than just the nausea and also gets rid of the aura too. Sometimes the migraine goes away completely. I only do this if I really have to though because Dramamine makes me super drowsy. However, Dramamine plus a nap works every time.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:What in the world is THAT?

That is a head massager. It basically tickles the crap out of your scalp. It's a really weird feeling but it seems to really stimulate things and the sensation is enough that sometimes it knocks out my headache. It depends a lot on what's causing the headache.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

One of my triggers has always been drinking water. It does not matter if it is cold or lukewarm. Weird. But, often they come without warning and for no reason I can discern. Peppermint helps, a lot. I have had to resort to codeine when the pain gets blinding. That helps, but is a last resort. I hate that stuff.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

This is all good advice. One thing, and please check on this if its true: Tea Tree oil can be potentially dangerous to pets like dogs and cats, toxicity issues. But other friends of mine have been using peppermint oil and claim essential oils if made right are very good medicine.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

There have been actual scientific studies on some of the essential oils that have shown promise for their use as medicine for various things.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Peppermint oil is good for pest control too.

Joe
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What are some good companies or sources where I can find peppermint oil that is proven to be good quality and safe for use? Any suggestions?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:What are some good companies or sources where I can find peppermint oil that is proven to be good quality and safe for use? Any suggestions?
My wife prefers Young Living brand of oils
*Landon*