Spyderco Shaman News and Gossip Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WireEdge Roger

Re: Spyderco Shaman News and Gossip Thread

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Outside of being incredibly heavy, it’s one of my all time favorite designs. That blade is so wide! The serrated version is the way to go, it’s cuts so well. Mine was stiff out of the box. Just a tiny pivot adjustment and a little FP-10 oil got it back to freeswinging without any play.
vernonremington

Post by vernonremington »

I had to adjust the pivot for a few days, just making the tiniest movements back and forth until i was able to get it to fall almost shut and have no blade play. When i first got it it would barely fall halfway when I’d release the compression lock. This was my first Spyderco to have this issue.

I also added a few drops of oil to smooth it out. Totally happy with it now.

Bring on a carbon fiber version!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Vernonremington,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

vernonremington wrote:I had to adjust the pivot for a few days, just making the tiniest movements back and forth until i was able to get it to fall almost shut and have no blade play. When i first got it it would barely fall halfway when I’d release the compression lock. This was my first Spyderco to have this issue.

I also added a few drops of oil to smooth it out. Totally happy with it now.

Bring on a carbon fiber version!
I liked the fact it wouldn't freeswing shut. I am probably the weird one, but that is the #1 reason I don't like the PM2
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Got mine today. I picked up a SE. This is one of the best knives I have handled in years. The grip is really impressive. Smooth so you can cut for hours with no hot spots on your hands but it has retention like an MBC knife. Very well done.

Then you fold out this beautiful big blade that does not seem like it came from the handle. Just amazing.

The whole knife is built like a tank. It might be the last knife you ever need. It is heavy but it feels right.

I am surprised I like it so much never was a big fan of the Native although I own several!. This is not just a big Native it is something so much better.

Fit and finish flawless!! I feel like best knife deal in a while for $150 bucks.
jylong_away

Post by jylong_away »

Carbon85 wrote:s90 and cf please!! its gonna be a winner
Second that!

Just got my unit yesterday, and am amazed at how solid it feels for a skeletonized compression lock. I think it's going to be the 'next Paramilitary 2' for Spyderco, in terms of popularity and legacy. Was also just thinking that if the blade tang was modified slightly, it would make a nifty front flipper!
Bloody Fingerz

Post by Bloody Fingerz »

Please forgive me if I should have made my own thread for this. I figured most of the shaman fans would be here. Do any of you notice slight up and down blade play detectable with even the slightest amount of pressure? With my finger in the forward choil I can feel the movement and even hear it clicking as I move the blade up and down. There is no side to side. It operates very smoothly and oiled well. It’s like something is preventing it from locking up fully. I’ve blown it out with the air compressor and I’m sure there are no loose particles in the action. The knife is less than 2 weeks old. I sent it back to Spyderco a couple days ago and it hasn’t gotten there yet. I’m sure the boys in Golden will fix it up but I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that it has something to do with the radial notch for the stop pin in the compression liner instead of being flat like the PM2’s. One would think It could only extend so far before side loading and restricting movement. I’ll report back when I hear something.
The federal government has taken too much money from the people, too much authority from the states, and too much liberty from the Constitution.

Ronald Reagan
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

As a follow up to my previous posts about some side to side issues, I sent my Shaman to Spyderco and just received it back.

I'm happy to say that there isn't any side movement at all. This knife is just solid!
Very impressed by the speed & service from the Warranty Dept.

We're definitely in good hands :D
JimP

Post by JimP »

Looking forward to some sprint run Shamans, would be really cool to see one in green canvas micarta....
bh49

Post by bh49 »

JimP wrote:Looking forward to some sprint run Shamans, would be really cool to see one in green canvas micarta....
I am in
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Bloody Fingerz

Post by Bloody Fingerz »

Bloody Fingerz wrote:Please forgive me if I should have made my own thread for this. I figured most of the shaman fans would be here. Do any of you notice slight up and down blade play detectable with even the slightest amount of pressure? With my finger in the forward choil I can feel the movement and even hear it clicking as I move the blade up and down. There is no side to side. It operates very smoothly and oiled well. It’s like something is preventing it from locking up fully. I’ve blown it out with the air compressor and I’m sure there are no loose particles in the action. The knife is less than 2 weeks old. I sent it back to Spyderco a couple days ago and it hasn’t gotten there yet. I’m sure the boys in Golden will fix it up but I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that it has something to do with the radial notch for the stop pin in the compression liner instead of being flat like the PM2’s. One would think It could only extend so far before side loading and restricting movement. I’ll report back when I hear something.
I was told the up and down blade play was within spec but they replaced the knife with a new one. The new one is perfect in every way. Couldn’t be happier! Thank you Spyderco!
The federal government has taken too much money from the people, too much authority from the states, and too much liberty from the Constitution.

Ronald Reagan
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Great customer service, yet again. I'm glad they took care of you. They usually do. Enjoy your new one!
Maniax

Post by Maniax »

Good afternoon and Happy New Year! I'd love to see a Shaman in M4 or Cruwear (or both!). Not particular about the handle scales...they tend to disappear on most occasions.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Maniax,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Nolanm

Post by Nolanm »

I have a question I will get to for anyone who has a shaman. Mine was a little stiff but it didn't bother me because the blade is big. Plus part of the reason it's stiff when opening it is the pressure from the lock bar. Mine is very strong. But I did have some issues. When disengaging the knife it was a horrible screech that I couldn't stand, and was very very sticky. I almost sent it back. I called warranty, never get a call back and yes I did click the pound to send the voicemail. My hours are crazy and I know they work hard Hours as well and I know calling during break or the drive home I would be lucky to have them pick up. So I waited. No response. So I noticed I had up and down play as well but no side to side. I got tired of wondering so I took it apart. Took ultra fine stone to the area of lock bar that meets the stop pin. No more screech. Does not stick. Must of been a small burr. But is the up and down normal for the shaman? Or did I get a knife with a small issue that should not be? Are there people out there with a better shaman then me?
Pm2-camo-DLC, pm2-s110v-x2, domino-glass-weave-x2, manix2-xl, manix2-s110v, endura4, shaman, tenacious-x2,
Bloody Fingerz

Post by Bloody Fingerz »

Nolanm wrote:I have a question I will get to for anyone who has a shaman. Mine was a little stiff but it didn't bother me because the blade is big. Plus part of the reason it's stiff when opening it is the pressure from the lock bar. Mine is very strong. But I did have some issues. When disengaging the knife it was a horrible screech that I couldn't stand, and was very very sticky. I almost sent it back. I called warranty, never get a call back and yes I did click the pound to send the voicemail. My hours are crazy and I know they work hard Hours as well and I know calling during break or the drive home I would be lucky to have them pick up. So I waited. No response. So I noticed I had up and down play as well but no side to side. I got tired of wondering so I took it apart. Took ultra fine stone to the area of lock bar that meets the stop pin. No more screech. Does not stick. Must of been a small burr. But is the up and down normal for the shaman? Or did I get a knife with a small issue that should not be? Are there people out there with a better shaman then me?
Similar issue with the up and down blade play. I sent mine in with a description and contact info. They told me it was within spec but sent me a new one back. The one that came back was perfect and locks up like a vault! I can’t say they will do the same for you but give them a call or just send it in per website instructions. This was my second Shaman knife. I had to buy a SE Shaman after falling for the PE version. The 1st one also has no issues.

Ronald Reagan
Strider

Post by Strider »

New to the forum and 2017 is my first year purchasing spydercos. Therefore, I am not familiar with pricing from year-to-year. I was planning/hoping to wait for a sprint run to pick up a Shaman. However, if I am correct, the 2018 models are being sold for $50 more than 2017. Was there something changed with the 2018 models or just a price increase for 2018? If they are already $50 more, I think I will be out for the sprint runs due to cost.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Strider wrote:New to the forum and 2017 is my first year purchasing spydercos. Therefore, I am not familiar with pricing from year-to-year. I was planning/hoping to wait for a sprint run to pick up a Shaman. However, if I am correct, the 2018 models are being sold for $50 more than 2017. Was there something changed with the 2018 models or just a price increase for 2018? If they are already $50 more, I think I will be out for the sprint runs due to cost.
Where did you see a $50 price difference?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Strider

Post by Strider »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Strider wrote:New to the forum and 2017 is my first year purchasing spydercos. Therefore, I am not familiar with pricing from year-to-year. I was planning/hoping to wait for a sprint run to pick up a Shaman. However, if I am correct, the 2018 models are being sold for $50 more than 2017. Was there something changed with the 2018 models or just a price increase for 2018? If they are already $50 more, I think I will be out for the sprint runs due to cost.
Where did you see a $50 price difference?
knifecenter
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Not sure why the dlc coated ones are $50 more than the noncoated ones thats crazy
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb