Another round of CPMD2 sprints?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Another round of CPMD2 sprints?

Post by vivi »

After posting about my old CPMD2 Military, I was curious if the steel is still produced.

I asked Crucible and they replied that it is.

Is this a steel you'd be interested in purchasing if Spyderco used it in another round of sprint runs?

Which knives would you like to see in CPMD2 if it were used again?
:unicorn
WireEdge Roger

Re: Another round of CPMD2 sprints?

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I’d love to see another run in the Military, Para 2, Para 3 and Manix Lightweight
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would be onboard for another run. I really have always liked D2 from even my pre-spydie days. The CPM version is easier to sharpen and takes a finer edge in my uses. Still carry my CPM-D2 Para from time to time.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

I'd like a D2 para!
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I like it myself but if given a choice I typically buy "newer" steels. One of my favorite folding knives is D2. My more recent Spyderco purchases have been S90V, S110V, M4 for instance.
argyle1812

Post by argyle1812 »

Yes please. Preferably in the Shaman with a different color handle
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

bdblue wrote:I like it myself but if given a choice I typically buy "newer" steels. One of my favorite folding knives is D2. My more recent Spyderco purchases have been S90V, S110V, M4 for instance.
Nice. What are you going to do once you own all the super duper steels? I assume watch them collect dust.
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

bdblue wrote:I like it myself but if given a choice I typically buy "newer" steels. One of my favorite folding knives is D2. My more recent Spyderco purchases have been S90V, S110V, M4 for instance.
Seriously, have you ever been in a situation where D2 just would not cut it, and you have to switch over to Maxamet, like for skinning 3 elks on the side of a mountain every weekend?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'd be down to try some cpmD2. Maybe a lil native?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm about 100 times more sophisticated (and interested) about blade steel than I was the last time I really used D2, and since all my D2 knives are relatively heavy fixed blades, I'd love a chance to try it out in EDC.

Manix 2 (either version) in D2 would be an automatic buy for me.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

tripscheck'em wrote:Seriously, have you ever been in a situation where D2 just would not cut it, and you have to switch over to Maxamet...
Yep, every time I scrape a corroded connection, replace a 480v motor, ring sealtite, ream tubing, prep armored cable... just to name a few things.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I wouldn't mind. I like D2. I remember trying CPM D2 but no longer have any. I recall it being good, but not D2 like in the coarse grain that was so good on cutting meat, rope and other stuff that do well when using lots of carbides to eat through. I only had 2 different sample knives in CPM D2 though. You can really change this type steel with different heat treats so maybe I just need more experience with it. If I wasn't going to push the steel and run it fairly hard I probably wouldn't want the powder steel version of D2. It would almost be like wasting it's capabilities.

Joe
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Carried a PM in CPM D2 for quite awhile and really liked the steel, would like to see it in Native 5 LW & Manix 2 LW.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Millie or/and PM2 in CPM-D2 ? ! Yessss ! :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Bile Bob

Post by Bile Bob »

CPM-D2 with CTS-XHP around? Isn't CTS-XHP basically a improved D2?

Looking at the steel composition charts they are very similar except that CTS-XHP has a good bit more Chromium.

FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

The Mastiff wrote:I wouldn't mind. I like D2. I remember trying CPM D2 but no longer have any. I recall it being good, but not D2 like in the coarse grain that was so good on cutting meat, rope and other stuff that do well when using lots of carbides to eat through. I only had 2 different sample knives in CPM D2 though. You can really change this type steel with different heat treats so maybe I just need more experience with it. If I wasn't going to push the steel and run it fairly hard I probably wouldn't want the powder steel version of D2. It would almost be like wasting it's capabilities.

Joe
You schooled me on XHP history some years back. It's practically a stainless powdered D2 right?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Bile Bob wrote:CPM-D2 with CTS-XHP around? Isn't CTS-XHP basically a improved D2?

Looking at the steel composition charts they are very similar except that CTS-XHP has a good bit more Chromium.

Basically it is, but D2 has more Vanadium carbides. I feel like they perform diffetently. Edge retention may be similar, but they do not respond to the same stones in the same manner.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Nate

Post by Nate »

I'm not sure how much interest I'd have personally in new D2 sprints, but PSF-27 is also basically a D2 variant that Spyderco is currently using. D2 may sell better in a sprint/exclusive though due to name recognition.
:spyder:
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Nate wrote:I'm not sure how much interest I'd have personally in new D2 sprints, but PSF-27 is also basically a D2 variant that Spyderco is currently using. D2 may sell better in a sprint/exclusive though due to name recognition.
Not to mention Cruwear, touted as an improved D2, and in my experience beats D2 in everything. Then we have XHP, the "stainless D2", which is also fantastic. With these supposedly upgraded versions, do I want to go back to regular old D2? I don't see why I would.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I wouldn't be heart broken one way or the other, but I like variety. I figure why not try out the steel that's used as the benchmark for so many other steels?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal