Ferrick nitrocarburizing?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BravoTango

Ferrick nitrocarburizing?

Post by BravoTango »

This finish goes by several other names: Melonite, Black Nitride, Salt Bath, QPQ. Widely used in modern firearms. Penetrates steel without changing it's dimensions, works on stainless steels, and non.

I feel like it would be great on knives, it's very attractive and strong. Rich black finish, usually appears somewhere between gloss and matte. I know that DLC is utilized primarily for light discipline, and this wouldn't quite replace that, but alas I think it would look amazing on some spydie's.

I'm sure this has been thought of before so I beg your pardon if there are other posts about it.
:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
Evil D

Re: Ferrick nitrocarburizing?

Post by Evil D »

What's the cost vs DLC? I'd say that's your answer.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

Evil D wrote:What's the cost vs DLC? I'd say that's your answer.
Good question, I have no idea.
:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Sounds interesting.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

BravoTango wrote:This finish goes by several other names: Melonite, Black Nitride, Salt Bath, QPQ. Widely used in modern firearms. Penetrates steel without changing it's dimensions, works on stainless steels, and non.

I feel like it would be great on knives, it's very attractive and strong. Rich black finish, usually appears somewhere between gloss and matte. I know that DLC is utilized primarily for light discipline, and this wouldn't quite replace that, but alas I think it would look amazing on some spydie's.

I'm sure this has been thought of before so I beg your pardon if there are other posts about it.
While it does work on stainless and carbon steels: As it's a conversion coating, this relies on the chemistry of the substrate material to give a consistent colouration- I would expect to see some steels to be paler grey and others darker toward black....(If you've ever used those Birchwood Casey 'home gun blue' kits to refinish an old gun, you'll have experienced the same issue: your barrel might go mid-grey but your receiver will go charcoal blue)

DLC and TiNi are deposition coatings (so self-colouring) and so more consistent substrate to substrate- no experimentation to get a proper black every time.

The Nitrocarb coatings that people like CZ and Glock use in this family rely on a post treatment to give that lovely consistent black finish: either a black oxide finish in the plasma furnace or Parkerization- both of which can and do wear off....that explains why some of these finishes are shiny and others are satin to matte- and indeed why well used early Glocks display that dark grey 'buffed' finish on many components

Also- and it's a biggie in this day and age- the basic salt bath method is super-environmentally-UNfriendly (Who doesn't want fuming hot baths of molten cyanide salts in their backyard?) and few EPA type folks are minded to grant new licenses for it in the EU or the US.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I am in the process fo making a bunch of 1/2 inch nitrided rods for sharpening knives in the field.
I can get 66C Rockwell hardness at this present time, but I am trying for a fraction more.

66C is plenty hard enough for knives, but I love the experimentation. :)
attila

Post by attila »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:I am in the process fo making a bunch of 1/2 inch nitrided rods for sharpening knives in the field.
I can get 66C Rockwell hardness at this present time, but I am trying for a fraction more.

66C is plenty hard enough for knives, but I love the experimentation. :)
What kind of steel are you using?
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Stuart Ackerman

I am keeping the info to myself for the time being...
Stuart Ackerman

I will send some off to Sal for him to play with...