MAP policy change? 35%

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Re: MAP policy change? 35%

Post by archangel »

Evil D wrote:It's really depressing that a thread like this can go 20 pages. I wish the community came together when the topic was constructive. You guys are making fools of yourselves. Suck it up and live with it or buy another brand. Life goes on.
I agree. The only thing that leaves a little bit of a bad taste, imho, is the list of models that were announced soooo many months ago, and that didn‘t make it in time. It would have been real nice to see Spyderco launching them during 2017. Pity that there seem to be reasons for delays...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
mattman

Post by mattman »

archangel wrote:
Evil D wrote:It's really depressing that a thread like this can go 20 pages. I wish the community came together when the topic was constructive. You guys are making fools of yourselves. Suck it up and live with it or buy another brand. Life goes on.
I agree. The only thing that leaves a little bit of a bad taste, imho, is the list of models that were announced soooo many months ago, and that didn‘t make it in time. It would have been real nice to see Spyderco launching them during 2017. Pity that there seem to be reasons for delays...
Do you actually believe that Spyderco is nefariously delaying the release of certain knives just to hold them back till the new MAP policy takes effect?

Wow.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

mattman wrote:
archangel wrote:
Do you actually believe that Spyderco is nefariously delaying the release of certain knives just to hold them back till the new MAP policy takes effect?

Wow.
No, I think Sal and Eric want to get things right. As I recall from another thread Sal said he and Eric sticklers when it comes to quality control. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
phaust

Post by phaust »

Every year models get pushed back past when they were supposed to come out, and not only at the end of the year. Besides, Sal already said the MAP change doesn't make anyone but dealers more money.

That said, it's probably good that nothing comes out right before the MAP change and then gets that bump because people would get more mad. There was already rumblings on bladeforums about the Shaman's bump ($200 for the dlc)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

RamZar wrote:Personally, the likes of tripscheck'em are best ignored.”
+1
I want to thank software guys for creating "ignore list". And Forum administrators for implementing it.
My ignore list is not very large. Just five people until yesterday. And four of them were either banned of left forum shortly after I added them to my ignore list :rolleyes: . It is six now.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kuranes,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

mattman wrote:
archangel wrote:

Wow.
Did I say that? I said that it is a pity that several models could not be released in 2017. It would have been great if they were, so that we‘d have had the chance to order them before prices go up. No doubt it‘s better to introduce them coming out of stable, issue-free production. Sometimes problems arise from nowhere. Our bad luck. Spit happens. Nobody‘s fault.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

archangel wrote:
mattman wrote:
archangel wrote:

Wow.
Did I say that? I said that it is a pity that several models could not be released in 2017. It would have been great if they were, so that we‘d have had the chance to order them before prices go up. No doubt it‘s better to introduce them coming out of stable, issue-free production. Sometimes problems arise from nowhere. Our bad luck. Spit happens. Nobody‘s fault.

I think that "Pity that there seem to be reasons for delays..." part sounds a lot like you're saying they're deliberately holding models back until 2018 so they can make more money off them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

Evil D wrote: Suck it up and live with it or buy another brand. Life goes on.
Indeed. I have bought very few Spydercos in the last few years and price is one of several factors. I'm a little disappointed that Spyderco and I are moving in different directions, but they have their reasons, as I have mine. No hard feelings.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Holzfaeller wrote:
Evil D wrote: Suck it up and live with it or buy another brand. Life goes on.
Indeed. I have bought very few Spydercos in the last few years and price is one of several factors. I'm a little disappointed that Spyderco and I are moving in different directions, but they have their reasons, as I have mine. No hard feelings.
I'm really disappointed with Ferrari for not selling me a car for $40k too, they're definitely moving in a different direction than my wallet is LOL.

Seriously though, that's basically the reality of it. Everything goes up in cost, this is no different.
~David
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

mattman wrote:
archangel wrote:

Wow.
Yeah, that's actually the whole point.

Spyderco used to be something more, but those days are long gone. I guess the benefits of leveraging a small army of fawning shills was too much to resist. Gotta make money some kind of way!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tripscheck'em wrote:
mattman wrote:
archangel wrote:

Wow.
Yeah, that's actually the whole point.

Spyderco used to be something more, but those days are long gone. I guess the benefits of leveraging a small army of fawning shills was too much to resist. Gotta make money some kind of way!

Spoken like someone who doesn't run a small business. They should just stay small and broke and never improve or make better products and keep selling you the same old Delica over and over for the same price?
~David
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

Vivi wrote: All you have to do is look at my Military review thread to see some of us do use them. My Spydercos have gone up numerous mountains, in various seas, to the desert, and have accompanied me on cross country bicycling trips. They've prepped dinner for dates, started countless fires with ferro rods, cleared trails, carved traps, helped me defend myself from a violent attack, and have broken down a few warehouses worth of cardboard.

None of my salts have rusted, even after being submerged in the gulf of mexico for hours without a rinse.

What's embarassing about the Police model? .
So you reground a paramilitary, used an ancient Spyderco, and reground a police for some cardboard tests.

Numberous mountains, desert, bicycling trips, it's good to know your knives....rode in your pocket for all that time.
You cut some food with them
You did not "clear trails" with them, that's what machetes do. You don't "clear a trail" with a 3 inch blade.
>Violent attack
Sure
>warehouses worth of cardboard
Again, doing cardboard/rope tests just to fend off buyer's remose doesn't really qualify as usage.

I do similar mundane things like cutting food, opening beer bottles, cutting my nails, opening boxes, prying off staples, bending back nails, etc with this $60 Buck Vantage Force Pro, and guess what else? This knife has that magical "vanadium" and other alloying metals you seek on zknives.com. At $60 it has that super duper steel that super duper Phil Wilson hyped up way back in 2005 or so. I'm glad I'm not the guy who spent $200 on that Copperhead snake Taiwan model just to do the same things I just mentioned lol.

Why is the new police embarassing? It is in m390. That's how far gone the "super duper cardboard cutting steel" marketing rat race has gone. Keep posting your "tests," guys!
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

Evil D wrote:
Spoken like someone who doesn't run a small business. They should just stay small and broke and never improve or make better products and keep selling you the same old Delica over and over for the same price?
I work in a CPA firm, and am actually educated, trust me, I know more about "business" than you do.

What I'm saying is this. Some people get screwed out of their money more than others, and Spyderco is really taking the piss now when it comes to screwing people out of their money. Want to help yourselves? Boycott them into submission, because they're essentially doing the same thing to you.

Everything in "business" is purely oppositional, zero-sum, a "numbers game." Screw or be screwed.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bh49 wrote:
RamZar wrote:Personally, the likes of tripscheck'em are best ignored.”
+1
I want to thank software guys for creating "ignore list". And Forum administrators for implementing it.
My ignore list is not very large. Just five people until yesterday. And four of them were either banned of left forum shortly after I added them to my ignore list :rolleyes: . It is six now.
Thanks for the reminder Roman. This thread just became tolerable again.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tripscheck'em wrote:
Evil D wrote:
I work in a CPA firm, and am actually educated, trust me, I know more about "business" than you do.

What I'm saying is this. Some people get screwed out of their money more than others, and Spyderco is really taking the piss now when it comes to screwing people out of their money. Want to help yourselves? Boycott them into submission, because they're essentially doing the same thing to you.

Everything in "business" is purely oppositional, zero-sum, a "numbers game." Screw or be screwed.

Oh ok you're educated. My mistake. Allow me to step aside with my mere high school diploma and inferior intellect. You have a really sad outlook on life. I feel bad for you. I'm not gonna argue with you because honestly it's beneath me. Don't buy them, that's fine, but take your negative attitude somewhere else. We "shills" will be just fine without it.
~David
mattman

Post by mattman »

archangel wrote:
Did I say that?
No. You insinuated it. Clearly.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

tripscheck'em wrote:
Evil D wrote:

No... you merely WANT it to be "purely oppositional", probably because of its simplicity: you demonstrably cannot understand the alternatives to confrontation, or their worth, and which is also why you rant against Spyderco & it's customers.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

bh49 wrote:I want to thank software guys for creating "ignore list"...
FYI it's now called "foes". I went hunting for it yesterday and couldn't find it. You motivated me again today. I figured that trips earned a "foe" designation even if it means that he won't like me anymore. Poof, he's gone. Thanks
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Ignoring or preferably banning is what makes sense to me but I'm not running this forum.
A forum needs a set of rules whether explicit or not and some of those rules concern polite discourse.