MAP policy change? 35%

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: MAP policy change? 35%

Post by vivi »

tripscheck'em wrote:Well ******, let me spell it out for you; I was a Spyderco enthusiast, but like Cliff Stamp, became disillusioned with this company when it went full pocket jewelry once this forum became populated with mindless, overpaid shills like you, so I switched companies. Glad to see I've been proven correct. You enjoy taking it ******.
What about the Chinook 4, Police 4, ATR 2, Lil Temp 3, Cara Cara 2, Pacific Salt, Ronin 2, Aqua Salt, Whale Rescue Blade, UKPK, Dragonfly Hawkbill etc. scream pocket jewelry to you? These are purpose built designs generally offered in plain black handles with plain satin finished blades, using highly functional materials.

Meanwhile my last Buck, one of the Strider / Buck collaboration models, routinely failed light spine taps. I sent it back to the company. They sent it back. It still failed, so I sold it. My Spyderco pocket jewelry has never done that.

Here is a comparison of the lock interface using a Buck 110 lockback and a Byrd Cara Cara 1. Which one looks like it has better engineering and more material holding up the lock? Which one looks least likely to fail?

Either way I'd save that sort of tone and attitude for 4chan. You'll find few who appreciate that language here. Most of us are of an age we don't feel the need to insult someone based on their private preferences.

*EDITED Quote - TazKristi*
:unicorn
Shockwave

Post by Shockwave »

Those last comments by that guy ticked me off. But he showed himself for who he was. The overpaid shills comment really rubbed me the wrong way. As someone who does hard labor outside, the kind of work no one wants to do. I worked shoveling and plowing snow for 10 hours Xmas eve. Trust me I’m not overpaid. I’m proud to support a American company with my hard earned money. I am already in for 3-5 Spyderco’s next year. Keep up the great work Sal and Co.!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Shockwave wrote:Those last comments by that guy ticked me off. But he showed himself for who he was. The overpaid shills comment really rubbed me the wrong way. As someone who does hard labor outside, the kind of work no one wants to do. I worked shoveling and plowing snow for 10 hours Xmas eve. Trust me I’m not overpaid. I’m proud to support a American company with my hard earned money. I am already in for 3-5 Spyderco’s next year. Keep up the great work Sal and Co.!
His username gave it away for me the first time I saw a post from him. Someone willingly using a 4chan catch phrase as their user name...well, that told me plenty.

It's an ironic comment because I feel like we give Sal a harder time than anyone else. We're constantly asking for new sprints, discontinued models to be brought back, new steels/handle colors/blade shapes on existing models, asking for specific things to be tweaked, asking for knives to be scaled up or down in size etc. If any of us are ever unhappy about something Spyderco does, we openly discuss it. I've repeatedly posted about how I stocked up on Tasman Salt 1's because I don't like the new versions handle, for example. Others have brought up various complaints with flipper models.

Don't see how a body of people that can be so critical can be called a shill with any sort of credibility.
:unicorn
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

I read what the tripchecker wrote but did't take anything serious except the insults he was throwing around - probably thats the freedom of speech (which should be kept as is) of the Internet nowadays.
anyways I'm glad the majority of users here on the forum are civilized and well mannered people!

according to the increase of MAP i just hope that it'll stay that way as long as possible -
i've already to reconsider a lot of knives i want to buy because of the prices i've to pay overhere in Europe.

A few years ago i bought about 3 Times as many Spydercos than i do now since VAT shipping Import and handling fees are really getting out of hand.
I usually Import my Knives directly from the US since the official distributers here in Austria and Germany usually charge MSRP IN EUROS!!
so for an example the shaman is priced at €250,- excl shipping that's $300,- for just(don't get me wrong) a CPMS30V Knife with G10 handles!!!
i got myself a Kizer knife this christmas and i must say thats a very tempting approach for me at least, s35vn an titanium handles for just under $120,-
I am really trying to support Spyderco since i absolutely have a lot of sympathy for the Company and love the fact thats there's a lot in it for the steel freaks but i do have to slow down even more.

I use all of my Purchases as intended and sometimes probably i also abuse them a little bit but my spydies serve me well and I try to keep buying them but already stopped buying Production models - now it's just disco'ed models and veeeery few sprints - i really desire the PPT Sprint but am really scared what it will set me back in the end :/

for sal and crew: keep up the good work and please stay steelcrazy

kind regards from Austria
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Those were an appalling couple of posts. Juvenile, puerile and disrespectful. We're better than that, here.

Honestly, I do wonder how some people will ever cope with life's real challenges ....
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Johnnie1801 wrote:A question for you guys, will the recent corporation tax cuts (from 38% to 21% in th US) affect Spyderco, the dealers and distributors and will MAP even be necessary?
Gonna depend on how dealers define necessary. Give it a couple of years and they'll get their 30% MAP (only strictly enforced online). Rinse. Repeat. Sooner or later, they will all be on an even playing field with Bento Box Shop.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Polyhexamethyl,

It seems there are a few things in Europe these days that seem "over the top" these days. Taxes in general are one of them. We're having meetings with our Export distributors to see what we can do. 'Tis challenging. :confused:

sal
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

Surfingringo wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:
Well ******, let me spell it out for you; I was a Spyderco enthusiast, but like Cliff Stamp, became disillusioned with this company when it went full pocket jewelry once this forum became populated with mindless, overpaid shills like you, so I switched companies. Glad to see I've been proven correct. You enjoy taking it ******.
With all due respect Trips, you are nothing like Cliff Stamp. Cliff is a very intelligent knife enthusiast who has done a great deal of testing. He was always able to offer salient viewpoints and data and never resorted to personal or ad hominem attacks, even when discussing highly contentious subjects. His interaction is also missed by many around here, including myself. As I said, the two of you have little in common.
Don't be so quick to toot your own horn either. How many best ever steels have you shilled for so far? I've lost track. Please don't pretend like you've been anything more than an open mouth on the marketing merry-go-round.

*EDITED - TazKristi*
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

bearfacedkiller wrote:You have already started a thread where you flounced out of here. While it is often tempting to turn around and come back or look over your shoulder while flouncing it is poor form and should be resisted. Posting in this thread is a flounce fail. Of course flouncing in the first place is already a fail. I guess you realize that now and that is why you have come back to stomp your feet.

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 7#p1186667

I too miss Cliff's contributions to the forum but I cannot say the same about Trips. Cliff was nothing like Trips, he contributed a wealth of information and did not attack people or use hate speech. I welcome Cliff back and feel we lost a valuable and generous contributor to the forum.

Trips, you know where the door is and if you ever decide to treat people with respect we will still be here. If you are going to call people names and use hate speech then feel free to take it elsewhere. Open discourse about pricing is welcome and we have done a lot of it. What you are doing is not.
Post Removed

*EDITED - TazKristi*
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

SharpieB wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:
sal wrote:Interesting thread.

I get the impression that many of you would be happier if we made all of our knives in China (cheap) and only sold to Walmart & Amazon (cheap) so YOU can get what YOU want as cheaply as possible? Or maybe we could get our crew, dealers, advertisers, shippers, suppliers, etc., to work for free?

It is our dealers that have asked us to do this. Not just B&M stores, but internet as well. Internet dealers have thanked us for doing it. The very same dealers that you get our knives from. Surely you aren't saying that you don't care about them, are you?

We don't make any more money from map. In fact it costs us more to monitor and enforce. Please try to broaden your understanding of production and distribution. You will have greater appreciation for what it takes to get you our product.

sal
No, I don't care about the dealers because they add 0 value to the product. They are nothing more than conniving merchants.

Not sure why you're threatening China when you have a massive plant there already, one in Taiwan, and another in Japan that is seemingly incapable of getting it's QC under control, though we're supposed to pay $200+ for its s30v lol.

At least two major internet dealers (knifeworks and cutleryshoppe) protested the initial MAP back when I used them to buy your knives. I doubt we couldn't find more.

Your post and it's disingenuous nature make me even gladder that I went over to Buck. They too have plants in China and America, but their s30v can be had for $60. Someone at Spyderco is sitting fat, smug, and heavily with their fat finger mashed on the button while the rest of us rub pennies together. Good riddance.
I thought you were a Buck man now? Sure seems like a lot of time and energy to waste bemoaning the pricing strategy of a company you claim to not even be interested in. As far as rubbing pennies together? Nah, not me. I’m doing pretty well actually. Of course, I try to use my time constructively. Just an idea. ;)
Well ******.... You enjoy taking it ******.
That’s classy. You seem like someone that everyone would want to hang out with. Nice comments about a little pricing change on knives you won’t even be buying. Idiot.
As I stated before, I was once a major fan. Learn how to read?

*EDITED - TazKristi*
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

bouhunter wrote:
bouhunter wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:

I get the impression that many of you would be happier if we made all of our knives in China (cheap) and only sold to Walmart & Amazon (cheap) so YOU can get what YOU want as cheaply as possible? Or maybe we could get our crew, dealers, advertisers, shippers, suppliers, etc., to work for free?

It is our dealers that have asked us to do this. Not just B&M stores, but internet as well. Internet dealers have thanked us for doing it. The very same dealers that you get our knives from. Surely you aren't saying that you don't care about them, are you?

We don't make any more money from map. In fact it costs us more to monitor and enforce. Please try to broaden your understanding of production and distribution. You will have greater appreciation for what it takes to get you our product.

sal
No, I don't care about the dealers because they add 0 value to the product. They are nothing more than conniving merchants.

Not sure why you're threatening China when you have a massive plant there already, one in Taiwan, and another in Japan that is seemingly incapable of getting it's QC under control, though we're supposed to pay $200+ for its s30v lol.

At least two major internet dealers (knifeworks and cutleryshoppe) protested the initial MAP back when I used them to buy your knives. I doubt we couldn't find more.

Your post and it's disingenuous nature make me even gladder that I went over to Buck. They too have plants in China and America, but their s30v can be had for $60. Someone at Spyderco is sitting fat, smug, and heavily with their fat finger mashed on the button while the rest of us rub pennies together. Good riddance.
I thought you were a Buck man now? Sure seems like a lot of time and energy to waste bemoaning the pricing strategy of a company you claim to not even be interested in. As far as rubbing pennies together? Nah, not me. I’m doing pretty well actually. Of course, I try to use my time constructively. Just an idea. ;)
Well ******, let me spell it out for you; I was a Spyderco enthusiast, but like Cliff Stamp, became disillusioned with this company when it went full pocket jewelry once this forum became populated with mindless, overpaid shills like you, so I switched companies. Glad to see I've been proven correct. You enjoy taking it ******.
Thanks for the laugh.
You're welcome. It's nice to be able to let loose in an otherwise ******, which is all this "forum" is.

*EDITED - TazKristi*
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

Vivi wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:Well ******, let me spell it out for you; I was a Spyderco enthusiast, but like Cliff Stamp, became disillusioned with this company when it went full pocket jewelry once this forum became populated with mindless, overpaid shills like you, so I switched companies. Glad to see I've been proven correct. You enjoy taking it ******.
What about the Chinook 4, Police 4, ATR 2, Lil Temp 3, Cara Cara 2, Pacific Salt, Ronin 2, Aqua Salt, Whale Rescue Blade, UKPK, Dragonfly Hawkbill etc. scream pocket jewelry to you? These are purpose built designs generally offered in plain black handles with plain satin finished blades, using highly functional materials.

I guarantee that no one will use the Chinook 4, or that embarrassing m390 Police. The overwhelming majority of you don't use your Spyderco knives, because they cost so much. You hoard them, circlejerk on here about them for a dopamine fix, fondle them, polish their edges, swallow the marketing formula, rinse and repeat. I've seen about one actual mariner on here who used his Salt like it was meant to, and it rusted! LOL.

and no, doing meaningless cardboard "tests" and rope "tests" whose only purpose is to fight your buyer's remorse for spending $200 on a knife is not real world usage.

*EDITED - TazKristi*
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

Shockwave wrote:Those last comments by that guy ticked me off. But he showed himself for who he was. The overpaid shills comment really rubbed me the wrong way. As someone who does hard labor outside, the kind of work no one wants to do. I worked shoveling and plowing snow for 10 hours Xmas eve. Trust me I’m not overpaid. I’m proud to support a American company with my hard earned money. I am already in for 3-5 Spyderco’s next year. Keep up the great work Sal and Co.!
"Made in America" has become another marketing device used to make money off people foolish enough to believe it, I'm sorry to say. Roughly 75% of Spyderco's fixed assets reside outside the U.S. if we just look at plant locations. Considering the far wider offerings from Japan and Taiwan, and even China, it may be even more than that.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

tripscheck'em wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:
With all due respect Trips, you are nothing like Cliff Stamp. Cliff is a very intelligent knife enthusiast who has done a great deal of testing. He was always able to offer salient viewpoints and data and never resorted to personal or ad hominem attacks, even when discussing highly contentious subjects. His interaction is also missed by many around here, including myself. As I said, the two of you have little in common.
Don't be so quick to toot your own horn either. How many best ever steels have you shilled for so far? I've lost track. Please don't pretend like you've been anything more than an open mouth on the marketing merry-go-round.
Two. Hap40 and lc200n. Don't worry though, I've got a third that I'm testing now that might make the cut. Actually, I believe I have referred to them as some of my "favorite" steels. I'd challenge you to find a post where I have ever referred to any steel as the "best" or "best ever". I'll wait.

By the way Erik, I see you are wowing the folks over on Cliff's forum too. Good form old boy. Straight out of a Dale Carnegie seminar!

*EDITED - TazKristi*
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

tripscheck'em wrote:
SharpieB wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:

sal

That’s classy. You seem like someone that everyone would want to hang out with. Nice comments about a little pricing change on knives you won’t even be buying. *****.
I can read just fine, but thanks.

If you think calling someone “a ******” is cool, you are one classless individual.

*EDITED - TazKristi*
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

Surfingringo wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:
Two. Hap40 and lc200n. Don't worry though, I've got a third that I'm testing now that might make the cut. Actually, I believe I have referred to them as some of my "favorite" steels. I'd challenge you to find a post where I have ever referred to any steel as the "best" or "best ever". I'll wait.

By the way Erik, I see you are wowing the folks over on Cliff's forum too. Good form old boy. Straight out of a Dale Carnegie seminar!
All the classic signs of a shill: conspiracy, paranoia, blatant lying. You're closing in on 5000 posts, maybe take a break?
For the sake of argument, you have declared pretty much every "super steel" since s30v to be the next sliced bread.

and no, I'm not sifting through 4700 of your posts just to prove you wrong, I'm not sick like you people.

*EDITED - TazKristi*
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

SharpieB wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:
SharpieB wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:

sal

That’s classy. You seem like someone that everyone would want to hang out with. Nice comments about a little pricing change on knives you won’t even be buying. ******.

If you think calling someone “a ******” is cool, you are one classless individual.
no more than you think calling someone an "*****" is cool.

>in b4 "but it's true hurr durr hurr durr"

*EDITED - TazKristi*
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

Thanks for the link Bearfacedkiller, that gives me a better perspective of where this all started. That thread starts out a little like Ted Kaczynski. You know, I might actually agree with TripDrek on a few points were it not for the vitriol, name calling, and apparent conspiracy theory. Too, bad, this is a topic that deserves discussion.
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

tripscheck'em wrote:
SharpieB wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:
SharpieB wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:

sal

That’s classy. You seem like someone that everyone would want to hang out with. Nice comments about a little pricing change on knives you won’t even be buying. ******.

no more than you think calling someone an "******" is cool.

Based on your angry little whiny posts, I am good with “*****”.

There are knives I really dislike, but I wouldn’t bother wasting my time on their forums trashing them. Must be nice to have that amount of free time.

Happy New Year!

*EDITED - TazKristi*
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

SharpieB wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:
SharpieB wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:
SharpieB wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:

sal

That’s classy. You seem like someone that everyone would want to hang out with. Nice comments about a little pricing change on knives you won’t even be buying. Idiot.

no more than you think calling someone an "*****" is cool.

Based on your angry little whiny posts, I am good with “*****”.

There are knives I really dislike, but I wouldn’t bother wasting my time on their forums trashing them. Must be nice to have that amount of free time.

Happy New Year!
I'm glad I angered you so severely, too bad I can't be as cool as you though. Let me try, *****! :cool:

*EDITED - TazKristi*