MAP policy change? 35%

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FCM415

Re: MAP policy change? 35%

Post by FCM415 »

RamZar wrote:
FCM415 wrote:I just scored a brand new fluted CF Native 5 for $185 from a private seller thank God.
Brand spakning new? Congrats.
Thanks. That's what the listing and pictures suggest. Appears to be flawless.
bh49 wrote: Congrats,
I am officially jealous :)
I couldnt pass it up knowing that I will buy one eventually anyway.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

FCM415 wrote:
RamZar wrote:
FCM415 wrote:I just scored a brand new fluted CF Native 5 for $185 from a private seller thank God.
Brand spakning new? Congrats.
Thanks. That's what the listing and pictures suggest. Appears to be flawless.
bh49 wrote: Congrats,
I am officially jealous :)
I couldnt pass it up knowing that I will buy one eventually anyway.
It's the Numero Uno of practical Natives. My Anniversary Edition Fluted CF is superior but I'd never use it as a knife because I like the simpler less gaudy looks of the regular Fluted CF. For even more superlative understated looks I'd go with the KC exclusive one which is great, practical, inexpensive for the features and unique.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

ross8425 wrote:Looks like blade hq is already upping the price of the maxamet PM2 when it is actually in stock. Cool. $189.97
Haha, yep. Screw this industry. Spyderco can burn before I buy another one, I only bought 1 knife, a sprint (XHP manix) since the MAP bc I knew this was coming. "Dealers" are scum. Enjoying a good ol Buck I bought from Walmart, the scummiest of them all. Walmart got so terrible that they had to be kinda ethical, it's all those small dealers you have to worry about, like bladehq and knifecenter.

Not sticking up for Amazon, but I've watched them constantly and I have never seen a knife sell below MAP.
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

sal wrote:Interesting thread.

I get the impression that many of you would be happier if we made all of our knives in China (cheap) and only sold to Walmart & Amazon (cheap) so YOU can get what YOU want as cheaply as possible? Or maybe we could get our crew, dealers, advertisers, shippers, suppliers, etc., to work for free?

It is our dealers that have asked us to do this. Not just B&M stores, but internet as well. Internet dealers have thanked us for doing it. The very same dealers that you get our knives from. Surely you aren't saying that you don't care about them, are you?

We don't make any more money from map. In fact it costs us more to monitor and enforce. Please try to broaden your understanding of production and distribution. You will have greater appreciation for what it takes to get you our product.

sal
No, I don't care about the dealers because they add 0 value to the product. They are nothing more than conniving merchants.

Not sure why you're threatening China when you have a massive plant there already, one in Taiwan, and another in Japan that is seemingly incapable of getting it's QC under control, though we're supposed to pay $200+ for its s30v lol.

At least two major internet dealers (knifeworks and cutleryshoppe) protested the initial MAP back when I used them to buy your knives. I doubt we couldn't find more.

Your post and it's disingenuous nature make me even gladder that I went over to Buck. They too have plants in China and America, but their s30v can be had for $60. Someone at Spyderco is sitting fat, smug, and heavily with their fat finger mashed on the button while the rest of us rub pennies together. Good riddance.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

tripscheck'em wrote:

I get the impression that many of you would be happier if we made all of our knives in China (cheap) and only sold to Walmart & Amazon (cheap) so YOU can get what YOU want as cheaply as possible? Or maybe we could get our crew, dealers, advertisers, shippers, suppliers, etc., to work for free?

It is our dealers that have asked us to do this. Not just B&M stores, but internet as well. Internet dealers have thanked us for doing it. The very same dealers that you get our knives from. Surely you aren't saying that you don't care about them, are you?

We don't make any more money from map. In fact it costs us more to monitor and enforce. Please try to broaden your understanding of production and distribution. You will have greater appreciation for what it takes to get you our product.

sal
No, I don't care about the dealers because they add 0 value to the product. They are nothing more than conniving merchants.

Not sure why you're threatening China when you have a massive plant there already, one in Taiwan, and another in Japan that is seemingly incapable of getting it's QC under control, though we're supposed to pay $200+ for its s30v lol.

At least two major internet dealers (knifeworks and cutleryshoppe) protested the initial MAP back when I used them to buy your knives. I doubt we couldn't find more.

Your post and it's disingenuous nature make me even gladder that I went over to Buck. They too have plants in China and America, but their s30v can be had for $60. Someone at Spyderco is sitting fat, smug, and heavily with their fat finger mashed on the button while the rest of us rub pennies together. Good riddance.
I thought you were a Buck man now? Sure seems like a lot of time and energy to waste bemoaning the pricing strategy of a company you claim to not even be interested in. As far as rubbing pennies together? Nah, not me. I’m doing pretty well actually. Of course, I try to use my time constructively. Just an idea. ;)
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

Surfingringo wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:

sal

I thought you were a Buck man now? Sure seems like a lot of time and energy to waste bemoaning the pricing strategy of a company you claim to not even be interested in. As far as rubbing pennies together? Nah, not me. I’m doing pretty well actually. Of course, I try to use my time constructively. Just an idea. ;)
Well ******, let me spell it out for you; I was a Spyderco enthusiast, but like Cliff Stamp, became disillusioned with this company when it went full pocket jewelry once this forum became populated with mindless, overpaid shills like you, so I switched companies. Glad to see I've been proven correct. You enjoy taking it *********.

*EDITED - TazKristi*
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

tripscheck'em wrote:
Well ******, let me spell it out for you; I was a Spyderco enthusiast, but like Cliff Stamp, became disillusioned with this company when it went full pocket jewelry once this forum became populated with mindless, overpaid shills like you, so I switched companies. Glad to see I've been proven correct. You enjoy taking it *******.
With all due respect Trips, you are nothing like Cliff Stamp. Cliff is a very intelligent knife enthusiast who has done a great deal of testing. He was always able to offer salient viewpoints and data and never resorted to personal or ad hominem attacks, even when discussing highly contentious subjects. His interaction is also missed by many around here, including myself. As I said, the two of you have little in common.

*EDITED Quote- TazKristi*
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

tripscheck'em wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:

sal

Well ******, let me spell it out for you; I was a Spyderco enthusiast, but like Cliff Stamp, became disillusioned with this company when it went full pocket jewelry once this forum became populated with mindless, overpaid shills like you, so I switched companies. Glad to see I've been proven correct. You enjoy taking it *******.
Trips, for one who seems to be so disappointed with Spyderco, it's forum members, and owner, perhaps your time would be better spent on another forum? I don't think any of us want to see price increases, but these things happen. If your limit has been met perhaps it's time to move on? Have a happy, healthy, and safe New Year. I too miss Cliff's presence and discussion on the forum. While often more technical in nature than I need, he has a wealth of information supported by empirical data.

*EDITED Quote - TazKristi*
Last edited by Tdog on Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

I will still be buying Spyderco's ;)
Last edited by bouhunter on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

bouhunter wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:

sal

Well ******, let me spell it out for you; I was a Spyderco enthusiast, but like Cliff Stamp, became disillusioned with this company when it went full pocket jewelry once this forum became populated with mindless, overpaid shills like you, so I switched companies. Glad to see I've been proven correct. You enjoy taking it ******.
Thanks for the laugh.

*EDITED Quote - TazKristi*
Last edited by bouhunter on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Trips, go spew your vitriol somewhere else.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Yes indeed.
Last edited by bouhunter on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Clean it up mods :)
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

A question for you guys, will the recent corporation tax cuts (from 38% to 21% in th US) affect Spyderco, the dealers and distributors and will MAP even be necessary?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Johnnie1801 wrote:A question for you guys, will the recent corporation tax cuts (from 38% to 21% in th US) affect Spyderco, the dealers and distributors and will MAP even be necessary?
Great question, not sure if some of the dealers/businesses are incorporated or what implications it has for smaller corporations but I see where many larger corporations are already giving their employees bonuses and raises. If individually I have more disposable income because of a reduction in my income taxes, I have an idea where some of it may go..... :spyder: :D
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

You have already started a thread where you flounced out of here. While it is often tempting to turn around and come back or look over your shoulder while flouncing it is poor form and should be resisted. Posting in this thread is a flounce fail. Of course flouncing in the first place is already a fail. I guess you realize that now and that is why you have come back to stomp your feet.

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 7#p1186667

I too miss Cliff's contributions to the forum but I cannot say the same about Trips. Cliff was nothing like Trips, he contributed a wealth of information and did not attack people or use hate speech. I welcome Cliff back and feel we lost a valuable and generous contributor to the forum.

Trips, you know where the door is and if you ever decide to treat people with respect we will still be here. If you are going to call people names and use hate speech then feel free to take it elsewhere. Open discourse about pricing is welcome and we have done a lot of it. What you are doing is not.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

It should be pretty obvious to everyone right now that Trips is a faker; he posts a thread about making so much money and leaving the forum/Spyderco for good, only to return a few weeks later and whine about the MAP increase. Don't bother.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
Jefft51

Post by Jefft51 »

I don't like MAP policy in general but I won't go into debating it here.
To me it seems pretty simple, if you don't like the price or quality, DON"T BUY IT.
Supply and demand and competition regulate the prices.
Internet trolls are a price of free speech, but they certainly can and should be kicked off of private forums.
My opinion anyway. :)
Jeff
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

tripscheck'em wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:

sal

Well ******.... You enjoy taking it ******.
That’s classy. You seem like someone that everyone would want to hang out with. Nice comments about a little pricing change on knives you won’t even be buying. *****.

*EDITED - TazKristi*
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to our forum.

We try not to kick people off or close threads. I think you will find that the group that tends to hang out here is quite effective at keeping "their" forum civil.

sal