Tip up or down from the factory, why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Tip up or down

Post by vivi »

Surfingringo wrote:
bdblue wrote:
Vivi wrote:My tenacious came tip up, same with my c95 manix
Possibly your Tenacious wasn't totally new. Check the photos on the Spyderco website- they all show tip down. The 4 that I bought new all came tip down.
My first pm2 came (from KW i believe?) with the clip mounted for tip up. Possible someone changed it and returned it but it's certainly possible that one escapes the factory like that on rare occasions. Human beings in the factory are screwing those clips on. Somebody is bound to be daydreaming once in a blue moon.
Dunno what to say. I personally inspected 6 different ones when I bought mine in person at a local sporting goods store. All were tip up. This was when they were brand new so maybe things have changed since then.

If it were just mine I found like that I'd be inclined to think Lance is right on this one, but seeing six that way I'm at a loss as to what to say :)
Strider

Re: Tip up or down from the factory, why?

Post by Strider »

I just received two PM2 in the mail today. The black/black came tip down while my blurple arrived tip up. That common?
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

From the January 2016 Spyderco Byte:
A Deeper Look at Pocket Clips

Since Spyderco pioneered the concept of mounting a pocket clip on a folding knife 35 years ago, clips have come a long way. We have also learned a lot about how to make clips work best on knives of various styles, sizes, and handle materials to offer maximum versatility, convenience, and durability. Although their function is deceptively simple, there are many details to consider when choosing a clip—both during the design process and as a consumer.

One of the most basic clip decisions is whether it should be tip-up or tip-down. While some consider this purely a matter of personal preference, actually, the knife’s design, its size, and its relationship to your hand size all have a lot to do with which approach works best. Fans of tip-up carry generally prefer it because it allows you to grip the knife, draw it, and open it one handed without having to adjust your grip. When the knife is carried all the way to the back of the pocket, tip-up carry also helps keep the blade safely closed by placing its spine against the back of the pocket. This is less important with knives that have strong self-close mechanisms, like those with back locks.

Tip-down carry works best for large folders like the Military™ Model. If large, long-handled knives are carried tip-up, when drawn your hand grips the handle close to the butt end—too far from the blade hole, flipper tab, or thumb stud for an immediate one-handed opening. With tip-down carry, you grip the pivot-pin end of the knife and ultimately end up in a better position to open the blade, but only after adjusting your grip after the draw. Tip-down carry also works well with some specialized one-hand opening methods that initially grip the blade instead of the handle.

One often overlooked aspect of pocket clips is their attachment point on the handle and its effect on the height of the knife’s “ride” in the pocket. Some users have a strong preference for “deep-pocket” carry that conceals the knife as much as possible. Typically this is achieved by attaching the clip as close to the end of the handle as possible and works even better with “foldover” style clips like those found on the Dragonfly™ 2 and the popular Sage™ series. For smaller knives, this style of carry still allows a full grip on the knife prior to the draw and leaves the hand naturally positioned for a one-handed opening. However, when longer knives are carried deep in the pocket, it’s difficult for an average-sized hand to grip deeply enough to allow a fluid draw and opening without having to adjust your grip midstream. To some users that may not matter, but it still helps to understand that knife size, clip mounting position, carry height, and individual hand size all have an effect on carry convenience and accessibility.

Some Spyderco knives feature reversible clips or even four-position clips that allow the clip mounting location to be easily changed to support different carry preferences. Popular models like the Delica™, Endura™, and Para Military™2 have four-position clips that allow tip-up or tip-down carry on either the left or right side. While this allows you to experiment with different carry styles to find the method that works best for you, please remember to add a drop of Loc-Tite™ or similar thread-locking compound to each clip screw to make sure they stay in place.

Spyderco is extremely proud to have pioneered the use of pocket clips on folding knives. But like everything else we do, being revolutionary isn’t good enough. As we continue to make our clips, our knives, and everything else we do even better, it’s the evolution of revolution that counts.
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

bdblue wrote:
Vivi wrote:My tenacious came tip up, same with my c95 manix
Possibly your Tenacious wasn't totally new. Check the photos on the Spyderco website- they all show tip down. The 4 that I bought new all came tip down.
Same here. My Tenacious’ came new tip down. Switched them within 2 min. I can’t stand tip down. Just my preference.
colin.p

Post by colin.p »

hoimin wrote:From the January 2016 Spyderco Byte:
A Deeper Look at Pocket Clips

Since Spyderco pioneered the concept of mounting a pocket clip on a folding knife 35 years ago, clips have come a long way.
One of the most basic clip decisions is whether it should be tip-up or tip-down.
from the horse's mouth...
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Surfingringo wrote:My guess would be that on the knives with 4 way clip option, they position the clip on the larger models for tip down and the smaller ones for tip up. I would also speculate that the cutoff (between what's designated large/small) would be somewhere in the 3.5" range.

...and in the interest of debunking my own theory I will point out that the pm2 has a 3.44" blade and comes mounted for tip down while the Stretch 2 has a 3.45" blade and comes mounted for tip up. So, what do I know? :rolleyes: :D
Haha!
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Strider wrote:I just received two PM2 in the mail today. The black/black came tip down while my blurple arrived tip up. That common?
Probably like someone said earlier, the dark blue could have been a return to the dealer you bought from. All of my PM2s have come tip down.