The Advocate - An Official Statement from Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rybu0305

Re: The Advocate - An Official Statement from Spyderco

Post by rybu0305 »

If the blade and holder (I assume this means handle???) are redesigned will it still be an Advocate? It sounds like a new knife?
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
sal

Post by sal »

Pattern is the same.

sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I like mine, the original vers.

Been carrying it for awhile now, not really a big flipper guy, but it's such a nice knife it's grown on me. :D

The scales don't show any sort of wear either, that's really nice.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Sal - Would you say it's identical, outside looks-wise?
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Lol.....we are all so curious.....Sal told a little bit too much, give him a break..... ;) I hope Advocate 2 is evolutionized outside look-wise Larry..... :rolleyes:
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Pattern being the same, but blade, washers, bearings, and holder all new usually means it's the internal workings that are different.
The blade tang where the washers and bearings sit probably needed to be redone (depth? different stop pin config?) to accommodate the new parameters, but the cutting area defines the pattern. I think holder refers to the bearing capture system.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

If this thing flips in a way that truly satisfies the action junkies, Spyderco will potentially be entering a whole new level of industry dominance.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Spyderco doesn’t quite have it down where it comes to flippers.

That’s all right though since it does so well in so many other areas.

My best Spyderco flipper is still the first Spyderco flipper in the Southard.

I’ve had several others since and they’ve been somewhat disappointing in their detent/action: Domino, Dice, Positron, Mantra2, Rubicon, etc.

Haven’t ventured into a Spyderco flipper since Mantra2 about two years ago.

However, I’m kind of looking forward to the Hanan. Lots of theoretical likes: bearings flipper, just under 3” blade length, Southard design, light, compression lock, Taichung, etc.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

Beside the internal revamp it is probably way too early to ask/ expect an outside revamp. The knife has not been in the field for that long and not in as many numbers as could be, considering the current state, until it is re-issued. I'm glad I've waited even though the Advocate hit so many buttons for me. I hope the wait ends soon too. CQI may happen down the road. I think that depends on the longevity of the knife.
:)
spy4life

Post by spy4life »

I was on the fence about getting Advocate so any update would be appreciated.

Thanks
Seon
~spy4life~

Collections: GB1, GB2, Dice, Urban-K390, Positron-S35VN, Sliverax, Southard brown&blk, CS Native 5 S90V, KW Military S90V Carbon/Ti
stevekolt

Post by stevekolt »

I'd like an update on this also. Are the redesigned Advocates available yet?
Brendanenon

Post by Brendanenon »

PM2 M390 red, Military M4 natural, Military 204p green, 2x Southard's, Positron s35 orange, Raven 2 Byrd
Brendanenon

Post by Brendanenon »

TazKristi wrote:
Bodog wrote:I know and they know other people have problems unless they're saying that these other reports are fabrications. Other people HAVE had issues across the board with bearing pivots regardless of model and its always the same complaint and its usually the same thing. Disappointing action and not much else. People don't normally bring it up here or on BF because so many people attack them and tell them they're wrong or whatever and spyderco loses a customer. Especially when it's known that Spyderco is happy with the action.

I'm not crapping on spyderco. They're great. I just don't see why they're so bent on defending what is obviously a lackluster feature.
Bodog:
We're not saying those reports are fabrications - we just can't base decisions on reports posted on the internet. I can find all sorts of things through Google searches. It doesn't mean the resulting information is complete or accurate. It's kind of like you saying you don't care about flippers or "that's all I have to say about that" but your posts demonstrate something very different.

We can't make decisions about potential or actual issues based on posts on the internet. We absolutely listen to those and they carry some weight in our decisions but at the end of the day, we have to rely on research and evaluation of the knives themselves - meaning what we have here and what is sent into W&R for evaluation.

Kristi
What a wonderfully poised appropriation of gotcha messaging. I don't have an advocate yet, want it but had seen too many negatives. I was just breezing through some of this thread. I'm glad Spyderco I'm protecting their customers and reputation by fixing problems. I totally empathize with anyone spending a few hundred on a malfunctioning knife. No matter the circumstance though, irratating people...no thanks. (Absurd eye roll)
PM2 M390 red, Military M4 natural, Military 204p green, 2x Southard's, Positron s35 orange, Raven 2 Byrd
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

All five of my Spyderco flippers are awesome.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Brendanenon wrote:
TazKristi wrote:
Bodog wrote:I know and they know other people have problems unless they're saying that these other reports are fabrications. Other people HAVE had issues across the board with bearing pivots regardless of model and its always the same complaint and its usually the same thing. Disappointing action and not much else. People don't normally bring it up here or on BF because so many people attack them and tell them they're wrong or whatever and spyderco loses a customer. Especially when it's known that Spyderco is happy with the action.

I'm not crapping on spyderco. They're great. I just don't see why they're so bent on defending what is obviously a lackluster feature.
Bodog:
We're not saying those reports are fabrications - we just can't base decisions on reports posted on the internet. I can find all sorts of things through Google searches. It doesn't mean the resulting information is complete or accurate. It's kind of like you saying you don't care about flippers or "that's all I have to say about that" but your posts demonstrate something very different.

We can't make decisions about potential or actual issues based on posts on the internet. We absolutely listen to those and they carry some weight in our decisions but at the end of the day, we have to rely on research and evaluation of the knives themselves - meaning what we have here and what is sent into W&R for evaluation.

Kristi
What a wonderfully poised appropriation of gotcha messaging. I don't have an advocate yet, want it but had seen too many negatives. I was just breezing through some of this thread. I'm glad Spyderco I'm protecting their customers and reputation by fixing problems. I totally empathize with anyone spending a few hundred on a malfunctioning knife. No matter the circumstance though, irratating people...no thanks. (Absurd eye roll)

:spyder:
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Mines been flawless. I’d buy another one without hesitation. It’s a shame so many people haven’t tried this knife out yet because of what went down.
Josh
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

I'm now seeing Advocates in stock pretty much everywhere again. Are these the updated/redesigned model?
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

It would be nice if the newly designed Advocate can be easily identified by the buyer. I don't want another one of the initial design.
mad german

Post by mad german »

I’m new to Spyderco flippers; I just got a Domino and a Dice. Does this information apply to those models? So far they seem to be working fine, but I’m wondering if I need to be concerned now.

I was really liking them, now I’m having doubts about the robustness of these knives. Should I be concerned, or are the Dice and Domino well built?

Thx guys!
My collection is ever changing!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I wouldn’t be concerned over what a few people said on YouTube. I’ve had NO PROBLEMS with any of my flippers.
Josh