Benchmade 940

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zhyla

Re: Benchmade 940

Post by zhyla »

Evil D wrote:I just never got the appeal of that knife. Must be one of those faces only a mother can love. Could be the ugliest knife BM has ever made.
We are deep inside the Spyderco bubble. The 940 gets a lot of love out there.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

zhyla wrote:
Evil D wrote:I just never got the appeal of that knife. Must be one of those faces only a mother can love. Could be the ugliest knife BM has ever made.
I don't think that fact is lost on him, or here "in the bubble", but I find it surprising how a machined aluminum handle model like the 940 can sell so well with "them" and yet here, metal handles seem to struggle. I know it takes all kinds, it just makes me chuckle thar the diversity between the two camps could be based more on handle materials than blades. That boggles the mind of this steel junkie.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

anycal wrote:PM2 and Manix 2, no doubt.

I'm so jealous of your CF M390 PM2! I need to find some of those peel ply CF scales.

Also, I agree the 940 is nice, but there are many Spyderco's that compete and I prefer, including the PM2
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

GB2 for sure, also check out the Mantra2.

I never really carry my 940 or 943. I appreciate a lot about them but never really connected. I keep thinking that someday it will click, but it slices like an axe IMO.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

xceptnl wrote:
zhyla wrote:
I don't think that fact is lost on him, or here "in the bubble", but I find it surprising how a machined aluminum handle model like the 940 can sell so well with "them" and yet here, metal handles seem to struggle. I know it takes all kinds, it just makes me chuckle thar the diversity between the two camps could be based more on handle materials than blades. That boggles the mind of this steel junkie.
There is a 940 carbon fiber out there. For me it has all to do with the thumb hole
Donut

Post by Donut »

So, it's almost a wharncliff. Does the handle feel as blocky as it looks like it would feel?

The last time I held something flat and rectangular in my hand, I didn't really enjoy it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
palonej

Post by palonej »

Doesn’t feel boxy in hand at all. Very comfortable.
Every once in a while when choosing the knives for the day, I feel something is missing or I haven’t carried ‘those’ particular knives for a while. It always turns out to be a 940 and a Para 2.....always.
These models were both purchased very early in my knife knutness.
I kinda look at these 2 as tops from each company and have more than one of each.
I couldn’t choose a favorite between them.
Joe
Attachments
4835B67C-6633-460C-93B9-FF3AE810B37C.jpeg
4835B67C-6633-460C-93B9-FF3AE810B37C.jpeg (39.71 KiB) Viewed 4568 times
7B58902F-C624-42E1-BDEF-3FC79CDFA75E.jpeg
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I had a 940. I like slim knives and slim blades but the blade shape on the 940 (long flat stretch with belly only starting near the tip) just doesn't work for me at all. I traded mine away for a Superblue Endura.

OP, as others have suggested, the pm2 and Manix are good options. That said, I have never had a Spyderco that was as satisfying to open and close as the Yojimbo 2. Amazing action and I love the way that big heavy blade swings out and locks up.
vivi

Post by vivi »

For me the 940 was a 3 to 3.5 finger grip and I'd have to remove the thumbstud every time the bevel needs set.

When it comes to BM I was more fond of the full sized Rukus, Skirmish and the AFCK. Eventually sold them because the Police 3 carried so much better while offering similar cutting edge length.
:unicorn
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Vivi wrote:For me the 940 was a 3 to 3.5 finger grip and I'd have to remove the thumbstud every time the bevel needs set.

When it comes to BM I was more fond of the full sized Rukus, Skirmish and the AFCK. Eventually sold them because the Police 3 carried so much better while offering similar cutting edge length.
The 610? Haha. That was a huge knife. Probably weighed 7 oz too. The 615 I have weighs more than 5 and is my biggest folder
anycal

Post by anycal »

Slumblor wrote:...I'm so jealous of your CF M390 PM2! ...
Had to play some musical chairs,

- I figured my favorite PM2 should have CF. Kept the DLT version with the red scales, but the BBS one got hooked up.

- Couldn't just put the blue scales on my second favorite, 52100, so that one got the gray scales. At the time wasn't that crazy about my Maxamet, so figured why not.

- Maxamet got the blue... for now. Although after re-profiling it, I am really starting to like it.
Peter
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I carry a 940 all the time, in fact I have one in my pocket today. I paired down my collection greatly, only keeping knives I found I really liked to carry and this is one I kept and do carry often. The thing I like about the 940 is that it as a fairly large knife in a compact and pocket-able package. The ergonomics are very good its easy to open, locks up solid, I like the blade shape and it stays sharp. Very light weight too all in all just a nice knife to EDC. Probably one of those knifes you have to own to really appreciate but I think if most people tried one they wouldn't be disappointed.

vivi

Post by vivi »

ross8425 wrote:
Vivi wrote:For me the 940 was a 3 to 3.5 finger grip and I'd have to remove the thumbstud every time the bevel needs set.

The 610? Haha. That was a huge knife. Probably weighed 7 oz too. The 615 I have weighs more than 5 and is my biggest folder
Yup, it was pretty big and heavy, tip down only IIRC, but I loved the ergonomics. The Skirmish and mini-skirmish are actually responsible for me getting interested in higher end knives...doubt I'd even own one Spyderco today if not for those knives.
:unicorn
Skoalart

Post by Skoalart »

I have the 940-1 with carbon fiber scales. It's nice. It is really light. I still prefer pretty much every full flat grind blade ever. I carry my Tenacious more than the bm.
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Vivi wrote:
ross8425 wrote:

Yup, it was pretty big and heavy, tip down only IIRC, but I loved the ergonomics. The Skirmish and mini-skirmish are actually responsible for me getting interested in higher end knives...doubt I'd even own one Spyderco today if not for those knives.
Skirmish was an awesome knife. I didn't know much about frame locks so I passed. And yeah, ruckus has awesome ergos. The 615 is tip up only. Never had a 610 so I dunno
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

The Benchmade 940 knife is simply great. Warren Osborne's great at making actually useful man jewelry. Wish Sal got to him before Les.

What would you be looking for a Spyderco knife to do "better" than your Benchmade 940?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I never really cared for the 940 because of the blade style. I like the overall slimness and blade length, however. A slimline trapper or a Buck 302 are good examples. The 940 should be a winner with me, but it isn't. I would prefer a Spyderco Caly 3.5 any day. However, the closest thing to opening and closing fun would be a Sage 5, or other Compression Lock knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think the Sage3 feels the most like an axis lock with its smooth, soft and quiet lock that has the same interface.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Doc Dan wrote:I never really cared for the 940 because of the blade style.
I like the 943 blade style way better...but that green is just awesome. So, I choose to not own one since BM doesn't make that combo :D
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I have a 940. It is perhaps the lightest and easiest to carry of any knife in my lineup. But I don't like the stud. My thumb doesn't just go to it and flip the knife open effortlessly like it does on other knives. What Spydercos compare to it? Maybe my Titanium Sage 2 that seems feather light and I hardly notice in my pocket. Maybe my PM2 with CF and 52100 -- but the PM2 is not as sleek, though I prefer it by far.

The 940 is wildly popular even though not my favorite. It is a unique knife as far as being sleek and light. I have the green aluminum version, not the CF.

And note that I am not saying a thing about how smooth the pivots or action is. That never really registers with me unless it is truly awful. What counts with me is how a knife falls in my hand and whether my thumb can open it on the first try with absolutely no mental processes on my part.
Last edited by Tucson Tom on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.