Admitting when wrong

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderwolf

Re: Admitting when wrong

Post by spyderwolf »

If i could only own one knife,it will be a Delica.Its the perfect edc,and i love it so much i own 5.4 in rotation,and one safe queen.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

sal wrote:Apology accepted.

sal
Thanks!

-Jeremy
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:I prefer the Delica over the Native and over many other knives. It is a great design.
Same here !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Just going to put this vid here for proof.

https://youtu.be/xXQvF3A3FE4
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A Delica will open a metal can of food with no problem.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

I subscribe to the philosophy of having a variety of clubs in the golf bag. I work in medical back office, so in this case, a variety of knives in the laptop bag. I think there's a place and use for linerless FRN designs, and more tankish designs with full liners and scales. For 8 out of 10 jobs, my "on-person" carry will work: Manix 2 LW, Dragonfly 2 Salt SE, and my SAK. The Manix LW just replaced an Endura, which served very well as im sure the Delica would. I honestly enjoy the frn/frcp builds very much, more than I thought I would prior to running them. At one point I wouldn run anything that wasn't at least g-10 + liners. I too changed my ways.

In my bag I keep a Manix 2 S110V and a multitool, a flashlight and various other utilities. I'm shopping for a fixed blade to add to the heavy hitter lineup.

Never under equipped I say.
:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:I prefer the Delica over the Native and over many other knives. It is a great design.
I can see why a lot of people would prefer a Delica over a NATIVE model and more power to them. But I've always liked the GOLDEN USA made NATIVE model far better because of it' extremely rigid construction and I believe it to be a far better made knife for hard use over the Delica. The two NATIVE models I currently own have endured some extremely brutal cutting jobs. I've given my testimony in the past how I literally resigned myself into believing that I was going to destroy my one 440V, SE NATIVE on a very bad job I had at the time >> but much to my most pleasant surprise it endured that job from **** and I still own it and use it on rough jobs.

I don't think a Delica could have undergone that type of abuse. Also the NATIVE just fits my hand like a glove and I would just love a G-10 Native with a Supersteel>> but most of all now I would love to have an XHP NATIVE in full Spyderedge.

But the ZDP-189 Delica is most certainly a great EDC blade for the casual knife user.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

While neither the Delica nor the Native is my favourite Spyderco, I simply love Spyderco in-house designs. Many knife enthusiasts could do themselves a favour and find one the classic designs that fit their personal tastes and save a pile of money in the process!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

JD Spydo wrote:
I can see why a lot of people would prefer a Delica over a NATIVE model and more power to them. But I've always liked the GOLDEN USA made NATIVE model far better because of it' extremely rigid construction and I believe it to be a far better made knife for hard use over the Delica. The two NATIVE models I currently own have endured some extremely brutal cutting jobs. I've given my testimony in the past how I literally resigned myself into believing that I was going to destroy my one 440V, SE NATIVE on a very bad job I had at the time >> but much to my most pleasant surprise it endured that job from **** and I still own it and use it on rough jobs.

I don't think a Delica could have undergone that type of abuse. Also the NATIVE just fits my hand like a glove and I would just love a G-10 Native with a Supersteel>> but most of all now I would love to have an XHP NATIVE in full Spyderedge.

But the ZDP-189 Delica is most certainly a great EDC blade for the casual knife user.
I still agree with you on N5>D4, but the D4 is far from the fragile paring knife I cast it as
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

And I'm in no way trying to say that the Delica is a "fragile" knife per se. But I will maintain that the GOLDEN USA made NATIVE models are a more rigid, stout and durable model than the Delica. To me it's almost like comparing a C-36 Military model to an Endura>> and that's not meant to be at all disparaging about the ENDURA model. I had one of the early model, full Spyderedged ENDURAs which helped convince me of the tool value of the Spyderedge. What the heck my beloved Spyderhawk is basically an Endura based Hawkbill for all intent and purposes.

And the ENDURA is basically just a big Delica when you get right down to it. On the other hand I guess I am just a tad bit prejudice about GOLDEN USA made Spyders :D
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

for any non knife person, the D4 is all they could need for daily tasks.
One knife for life? That is it.

Replace as needed, when worn or lost, with a newer iteration, maybe change steel, color or handle shape to spice things up!
olywa

Post by olywa »

I've had Delicas and Enduras in both VG10 and ZDP189. I like them well enough, especially the Enduras. But I've found that I'm more of a Native and Manix kind of guy, especially since there is now a Manix Backlock. In addition, I much prefer them in their LW config. The Native 5 LW and the Manix Backlock have pushed most everything else out of my pocket.