Reinhold Rhino Update

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: Reinhold Rhino Update

Post by abbazaba »

Thanks, it looks great!
foofie

Post by foofie »

Thanks for the pics!
You left out one...
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 0#p1195142
Mr Danger

Post by Mr Danger »

Any pics of it in hand? Like to see how it grips in different positions.
Sharp knife / hairless arm.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thank you all for the very kind words! Man, I cannot tell you how much that means to me. :)
As requested, here are a few additional pictures (in-hand and comparison with a Dragonfly and Jester). Please let me know if you would like any other comparison shots!

Edited to add: I wear a size XL men's glove, so this should hopefully give a reference for size.

Thanks again!

-Michael

Last edited by SpyderNut on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

we all can't wait to get one of these when they drop. looks like another Taichung masterpiece :spyder:
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Dragonfly size without a choil - I'm liking that.

Should be a good work EDC for me. Just need to get a black pocketclip for it or dull the shine on the one it comes with.
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Congratulations Michael, it looks great!
Thanks for the detail pics.
Mr Danger

Post by Mr Danger »

Thanks, Michael. I'll admit I've been a naysayer since they announced the upgraded version, and while im still on the fence, it really has turned out beautifully.

I really like how the swoop of the top of the blade appears to blend with the curve of the handle when closed.
Sharp knife / hairless arm.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hi Michael, I haven’t read the whole thread so you might have already answered this, but I’m curious if you can squeeze a 4 finger grip on the handle.

The knife looks beautiful and I’ll share a quick story with you. My Dad has come to be a big Spyderco fan but he is a bit hard to shop for. He likes smaller blades with a narrower profile. He’s not a fan of wider knives and leaf shaped blades. He prefers knives that are narrower and more “sleek” looking (His word). Unfortunately, that eliminates a number of good options in the Spyderco lineup. His favorite two Spydercos to date are the Worker sprint and the Baby Jess Horn. I got a chance to look over the digital catalog with him this year and, knowing what he likes, I wasn’t too hopeful of finding one he wants. Turns out I was wrong though. He LOVES the Rhino. He likes everything about it. Handle, size, and especially the blade shape and has instructed me to order him one the moment they are available. So just thought I’d let you know that you’ve got a new fan.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Surfingringo wrote:Hi Michael, I haven’t read the whole thread so you might have already answered this, but I’m curious if you can squeeze a 4 finger grip on the handle.

The knife looks beautiful and I’ll share a quick story with you. My Dad has come to be a big Spyderco fan but he is a bit hard to shop for. He likes smaller blades with a narrower profile. He’s not a fan of wider knives and leaf shaped blades. He prefers knives that are narrower and more “sleek” looking (His word). Unfortunately, that eliminates a number of good options in the Spyderco lineup. His favorite two Spydercos to date are the Worker sprint and the Baby Jess Horn. I got a chance to look over the digital catalog with him this year and, knowing what he likes, I wasn’t too hopeful of finding one he wants. Turns out I was wrong though. He LOVES the Rhino. He likes everything about it. Handle, size, and especially the blade shape and has instructed me to order him one the moment they are available. So just thought I’d let you know that you’ve got a new fan.
I'm usually not a fan of knives with a lot of belly or upswept blades, but I have to agree that this is a REALLY nice looking ergonomic knife.

I am also curious if you can get a 4-finger grip on the knife because I tend not to go for knives that you can only fit 3-fingers on. Initially when comparing next to the pics of the Delica it looked like a 4-finger grip was possible, but now with pictures next to the Dragonfly, I'm questioning that.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

captnvegtble wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:Hi Michael, I haven’t read the whole thread so you might have already answered this, but I’m curious if you can squeeze a 4 finger grip on the handle.

I'm usually not a fan of knives with a lot of belly or upswept blades, but I have to agree that this is a REALLY nice looking ergonomic knife.

I am also curious if you can get a 4-finger grip on the knife because I tend not to go for knives that you can only fit 3-fingers on. Initially when comparing next to the pics of the Delica it looked like a 4-finger grip was possible, but now with pictures next to the Dragonfly, I'm questioning that.
I think the negative blade angle will counteract a lot of the upsweep at the tip. It looks like the tip should still be quite useful on a flat surface. Regarding the three finger grip, my most common grip on small knives like these is with my last three fingers on the handle and my index finger on the spine. The knife looks like it will accommodate that grip quite well. The more I look at this design, the more I like it!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I’m liking it. Love the lack of choil on this and instead have a nub as a finger stop. Excellent detail there. Nice reinhold logo too.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Dang, this is looking really, really good. Thanks for the comparison shots, good to see it in relation to the DF2
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote:Image
Michael,

Thank you for pictures. This is just perfect.
Actually looking at the picture with Jester. Small Rhino will be a great key chain knife :)
Thank you again for designing this beauty. I wish I could get it before New Year.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I like the design. I agree that the negative blade angle should counteract the upsweep.
I'm also wondering a bit about the ergos. Specifically the middle finger groove. It looks oversized for one finger but undersized for two fingers.
I wonder if the index finger on a medium/small sized hand would land right on the horn between the large groove and the back groove. Sometimes that doesn't matter if a handle is narrow enough but other times it hurts. :)
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Surfinggringo - looking at the pics it looks like if you wear an XL glove size then the Rhino will be a 3 to 3.5 at best finger grip. If your Dad has smaller hands he might manage a full 4 finger grip.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderNut wrote:

I had no interest at all in this knife until I saw this pic. I just don't care for so much belly, but I like the size. Any chance we might someday see a difference blade shape in the same handle? If it were more like the Dragonfly it would be a done deal.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

That looks pretty awesome!

First I've seen the designer logo on the blade.
Going back to Caly.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:Michael,
Thank you for update and pictures. 2.9 mm is very nice. Thank you.
Do you have any ideas on when Rhinos will be available?
Thank you,
Roman
You are very welcome, Roman. :) It sounds like the Rhinos will be going through QC in the very near future, so I'm thinking they'll be on the market soon.