Paramilitary bit me before I bought it!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jeff/1911

Paramilitary bit me before I bought it!

Post by Jeff/1911 »

ALSO POSTED ON BF - Spyderco page...sorry for the repeat :o

Youwch! :eek:

So there I was...standing in front of the knife counter at my local shop. I was trying to be cool as I "shave-the-arm-hair" tested the edge of the shiny new plain edge Paramilitary model after having selected the "perfect" one from four specimens they had in stock. I gently eased the blade along the surface of my forearm and "DIG"...in it went into the flesh. I was putting virtually NO pressure on the blade, and it still bit in and caused the red ooze! I was delighted! :p Oh sure, I was in a little pain, and somewhat embarrassed but still delighted with this predictably, wickedly sharp Spyderco edge that this new knife sported.

You see, I was there on a purchasing mission for my wife; and indirectly for my two kids (6 & 9 years) who only last night explained to their Mother how "they really wanted to get Daddy a new Spyderco knife for Christmas!"
After they went to bed then, my wife spoke to me asking if I could go pick out "something I liked" and then give it to her to wrap up for me. Hee-hee!

So there I was...shopping for myself when this particular knife lunged at my arm and sliced out a minute piece of flesh. Of course I had to buy it. I liken it to the situation of trying to choose from one of many puppies in a litter when one comes running up and begins licking your face! Quite simply, it "chose" me! I really didn't have any choice but to go and pay for it.

Thanks for listening.

Best wishes, Jeff/1911.
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

Man that's a great story. Call that a love bite if you will :)
Enjoy the Para!
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Jimmy_Dean,

That kinda' how I looked at it too. Thanks, I sure will enjoy it!

Best wishes, Jeff/1911.
talonturbo

Post by talonturbo »

I can't say enough about your choice. I'm positive that you will be delighted with it.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Nice story. I think you'll find the knife... satisfactory :p
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Thanks for your comments fellows! I'm sure I will love it too. :)

It's kinda' neat doing this...I know I'm going to get this knife, but I have put it away and because I handled it so briefly, the memory of it's operation, etc. is dimming. My arm has mostly healed too, so by the time Christmas rolls around I could be truly surprised!

Best wishes, Jeff/1911.
HoB

Post by HoB »

I like your way of thinking of it as a puppy that came to lick you....even though that sounds a little bid sick :D . You must have a very understanding wife...just don't let her read this thread or she might get doubts :p .
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

HoB wrote:...You must have a very understanding wife...just don't let her read this thread or she might get doubts :p .
Too true, HoB...too true!

Jeff. :)
Burrellb

Tip up, tip down

Post by Burrellb »

are all models of para tip u, tip d? :spyder:
I'd rather be tried by 12, than carried by 6
talonturbo

Post by talonturbo »

All para's are tip down. Same as big bro.
spydieman

Post by spydieman »

Hi Jeff. Love at first 'bite' :D It's a relationship that will last a lifetime. I consider it initiation to be bit by my spydies at least once after I get them, although not on purpose. I'm not that deranged. Some of them have bit more than once. Enjoy your new Christmas gift. :) I assume it is a PE?
Mark.

'Just one of God's Critters.' :)
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Spydieman,

I too think of this as a form of initiation from a given knife...and yes, it is a plain edge. :) Thanks for the wishes, same to you!

Jeff/1911.
LJK

First blood

Post by LJK »

Congrats. You and your Para are blood brothers. I knew I loved my P-Millie when I sank quite a bit of the tip into my arm whilst sharpening it up. Drinking and razor sharp Spydies do not mix well. I was also thinking alcohol really does thin your blood as I tried to stop the flow with direct pressure. Don't forget blood is corrosive.
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

LJK,

I'm glad you mentioned that...I had to pull it out of hiding to check that wasn't any blood left on the blade! :rolleyes:

I tend to think about sharpening when I'm "into my cups" as well...funny that. Anyway, it sure is fun talking about this knife - I can't wait to use it! :)

Best wishes, Jeff/1911.
fret

Post by fret »

Sharp way to start a new relationship.