Caly 3 HAP40 dropped

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: Caly 3 HAP40 dropped

Post by Mushroom »

murphjd25 wrote:Mine was gritty as well, but it’s very easy to take the blade out and clean everything out that was inside the pivot. Seemed to been some leftover dust from the g10 stuck in there. A drop of oil and it’s smooth as glass now.
This has been my experience as well. Was a little bit gritty out of box because of some dust but after getting things cleaned and lubed it's fine now!
-Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:giving Moki another chance and ordered a Caly 3 hap40 from cutlery shoppe. national still has them as well.
I'll look forward to reading what you think of it.

I'm amazed that anyone still has these in stock.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

Thanks for the great feedback on my post! Gotta say I'm quite impressed with how tightly it's constructed. Took the pivot out and cleaned the blade, metal liners, piece of cake to get undone and back together again. Couldn't find oil but there was already a noticeable difference. For some reason there was quite dirt and the likes. Gonna order some new oil and spend an evening playing with it and see how it goes. It's quite a nice piece of engineering!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

got my caly 3 hap40 today. initial impressions: the Caly 3 is an amazing design, basically a locking ukpk what's not to love. lamination lines are consistent on both sides of blade, construction looks to be free of flaws, smooth opening. HOWEVER, has same click and hard to depress lock as my baby Jess horn. I plan to keep this knife just very disappointing when a lockback hurts your thumb to unlock. all my spydie seki city lockbacks and older moki made knives did not have this issue. someone with more moki experience please explain this?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SG89

Post by SG89 »

going to try opening and closing it like 1000 times and see if that breaks it in lol
Spydergirl88
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Spydergirl88 wrote:got my caly 3 hap40 today. initial impressions: the Caly 3 is an amazing design, basically a locking ukpk what's not to love. lamination lines are consistent on both sides of blade, construction looks to be free of flaws, smooth opening. HOWEVER, has same click and hard to depress lock as my baby Jess horn. I plan to keep this knife just very disappointing when a lockback hurts your thumb to unlock. all my spydie seki city lockbacks and older moki made knives did not have this issue. someone with more moki experience please explain this?
You might want to send that one in. My caly3.5 is a sticky but the hap40 is perfect. Shouldn’t be hard to depress.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

My baby horn had the exact same locking issue. Not on the caly. Sounds like mom I has some reAl consistency issues.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:HOWEVER, has same click and hard to depress lock as my baby Jess horn. I plan to keep this knife just very disappointing when a lockback hurts your thumb to unlock. all my spydie seki city lockbacks and older moki made knives did not have this issue. someone with more moki experience please explain this?
A forum member/friend said his Caly 3.5 ZDP had the same issue. Not sure if it was actually hard to depress the lock bar though. He sent me a vid and I could definitely hear the click.

My 2013 Forum Native and my new Fluted Ti Native both have a clicking sound and feeling when I unlock them. Not really hard to press the lock bar but noticeable none-the-less. I figure they just need some break in time. Your Caly mght take a while though.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Might be different than mine, but both my recent 3.5 and 3 HAP40 took a while to break in. Both went from difficult and sticky, to gritty and rough, to smooth and stick free. I tried nano oil in the beginning, but it almost seemed to gum it up a bit. Eventually I found that cleaning the grit from the back of the tang with a dry cloth periodically helped the most.

Because it rides directly on the "polished" steel liners, it makes sense in my head that some steel would wear off and create a different experience than washers. But both are now super smooth after the wear in period. Hope that helps.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My lock bar wasn't hard to press but mine was super gritty. So gritty that it felt like the pivot was tight. I pulled the blade, cleaned it up real good. Gave it a few drops of oil and put it back together and it is smooth as glass and much easier to operate. Everything else is perfect and I am super duper pleased with it but as delivered it could have been better. It doesn't seem to hard to put it together clean.

I might suggest cleaning it up a bit. Maybe there is some crud and grit around the lockbar?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

sorry for the bad pictures but there appears to be metal filings between the liner and lockbar. when I open the knife it is smooth and lock up is great. only issue is when I depress the lock but I believe this will smooth out over time.
Spydergirl88
SG89

Post by SG89 »

just wanted to update that I shot some more canned air around the lock bar and pivot and the knife has been great ever since :D
Spydergirl88
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:just wanted to update that I shot some more canned air around the lock bar and pivot and the knife has been great ever since :D
Good deal! Glad it's worked out for you!
illacky

Post by illacky »

In stock at BHQ
-Ivan
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

illacky wrote:In stock at BHQ
Well that was short-lived!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Mine arrived Thursday, but work and sleep have taken priority over fondling. Update soon...
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

This is in stock at Blade HQ this morning. $128, go get em! Just checked stock as of this time stamp.
Josh
Blade and Flame

Post by Blade and Flame »

Also at KnifeWorks. I wonder if these are the last of the Caly Hap40 trickling out?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

murphjd25 wrote:This is in stock at Blade HQ this morning. $128, go get em! Just checked stock as of this time stamp.
Hmm...I checked after illacky posted at 10:09 and it wasn't showing in stock for me. No worries I have mine.

It is showing at KW at the moment. Glad to see some if these late arrivals for those who missed out.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’m surprised these are still slowly trickling out. I’ve really been enjoying mine.
Josh