I love s30v

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: I love s30v

Post by wrdwrght »

S30V and VG10 are far more than just adequate steels. If I had only one Spydie in either steel, I'd have a reliable performer for life (but where's the fun in one?).

My only reason to go for "better" steels is to learn what resistances (to wear, to fracturing, to corrosion) they give up to be "better", and how to manage the loss for whatever gain has been promised/discovered.

I now let tool steels patina naturally to retard further corrosion; and I bevel plain-edge H1 more acutely than usual to extend cutting performance (thanks Vivi).

When a new model, in S30V or VG10 only, comes along with a feature-set and a look I really, really like, I won't hesitate. I love my new S30V Shaman.

However, the first thing I did with my Shaman was reprofile it. Why? To get rid of the edge brittleness that belt-sanders impart when giving Spydies their legendary sharpness out of the box.

Until someone here suggested doing this, and why, I thought S30V was inclined to chip. Perhaps others have formed the same impression, thus damning the steel with faint praise?
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, I think it is from the factory edge that people get the idea of S30V being chippy. I have not seen that on any of my knives. I like S30V pretty well. I think I slightly prefer XHP over it, but S30V is a fine steel and I would rather have it than S110V for most things.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

wrdwrght wrote:S30V and VG10 are far more than just adequate steels. If I had only one Spydie in either steel, I'd have a reliable performer for life (but where's the fun in one?).

My only reason to go for "better" steels is to learn what resistances (to wear, to fracturing, to corrosion) they give up to be "better", and how to manage the loss for whatever gain has been promised/discovered.

I now let tool steels patina naturally to retard further corrosion; and I bevel plain-edge H1 more acutely than usual to extend cutting performance (thanks Vivi).

When a new model, in S30V or VG10 only, comes along with a feature-set and a look I really, really like, I won't hesitate. I love my new S30V Shaman.

However, the first thing I did with my Shaman was reprofile it. Why? To get rid of the edge brittleness that belt-sanders impart when giving Spydies their legendary sharpness out of the box.

Until someone here suggested doing this, and why, I thought S30V was inclined to chip. Perhaps others have formed the same impression, thus damning the steel with faint praise?
I've seen it on EVERY dang production knife I've owned. Usually takes a reprofiling or a few sharpenings to get to 'good' representative steel. That's when you see differences in edge holding.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
woodsmanoh

Post by woodsmanoh »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:S30V and VG10 are far more than just adequate steels. If I had only one Spydie in either steel, I'd have a reliable performer for life (but where's the fun in one?).

I've seen it on EVERY dang production knife I've owned. Usually takes a reprofiling or a few sharpenings to get to 'good' representative steel. That's when you see differences in edge holding.
I agree, the way my factory edge on S110v reacted to the first time I used it would have most people saying what a crappy steel. I was shaving some wood for kindling. Just shaving. I wasn't trying to baton or do anything other than shave almost like whittling for starting a fire. I wish I would have took pictures but what I thought was a huge chip was only slightly rolled edge. Once I re-profiled and sharpened to my personal satisfaction the steel has been awesome. I have not had any issues since. Now the first thing I do before I rely on a new blade in the field is put my own edge on it and all is well.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Sal still thinks S30v and VG10 are good all around steels, and that's good enough for me. I had a ZDP189 Stretch back in the day, before I knew the difference. I never sharpened it, and hardly used it, so I have no opinion other than what I've read, but I liked the Stretch. The same with a Manix CTS BD1. I now have H1, VG10 and S30V, in order of most to least. I like all of them a lot. I think I'm ready to try a couple others, but I'm happy as is.
Last edited by cabfrank on Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I dislike S30V. It's more difficult to sharpen than it should be, doesn't take a great edge, and I find it chips too easily...even after all these years of refinement. 'Budget steels' seem inferior because the heat treat is lousy on them and not because they can't be terrific in EDC use. I found CTS-XHP to be really easy to sharpen and have fairly good edge retention. I don't really see advantages to S30V over CTS-XHP in my use.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

It's not bashing, I just have too many blades in S30V.
I like CTS XHP much better for my needs.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

gull wing wrote:It's not bashing, I just have too many blades in S30V.
I like CTS XHP much better for my needs.
I don't have XHP...my Techno came in S30V. I would like to try this steel, as I have heard nothing but good about it.

I figured it was a variety issue and not performance. My father in law uses a Schrade Old Timer that is 25 years old and has no complaints. I do notice him stopping to touch up the edge while cutting up a deer, while my Paramilitary requires no attention.
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

The prettiest steel I have seen is VG-10. My R Nishijin blade is a beautiful example!
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

S30V is acceptable, but however great it is compared to what we could have gotten 30 years ago when we were excited about ATS34, we are fortunate to have even better choices today, often for not a lot of additional cost. I won't reject a design that is otherwise high on my list because of S30V, but I definitely do if it is VG10 or BD1 or any other steel that requires frequent resharpening. I like steels that cut great for a long time and those steels just do not. S30V is an above the buying threshold steel choice for me, but only if there is something else irresistible about the model. Just too many great models and better steels available now and too much competition for my limited budget.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

S30V, imo, is really nice. I especially love it on my Manix XL.
However, the crown goes to Carpenter's 204p (imo)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I don't love s30v, but it is a good steel, especially for a stainless.
I was always puzzled about the chipping complaints, none of my 3 had that problem.... then it happened.

I got a new one that the edge literally crumbled as I sharpened it. I could hear the cracking and popping, and feel it on the stone. It was the only knife I ever considered sending back. I decided to just keep on sharpening and trashing it. After about 5 or 6 good sharpenings, it started to do better. Now, after removing about 1mm of the edge, it takes a nice fine edge and keeps it very well.
Glad I didn't give up on it..
vivi

Post by vivi »

MacLaren wrote:S30V, imo, is really nice. I especially love it on my Manix XL.
204P holds an impressive edge, and I'm someone that normally doesn't worry about edge holding at all. No other steel I've tried seems to hold that freshly touched-up, shaving sharp edge as long as my 204P Military. Takes a little more effort to get it there than S30V, but it's not unbearable.
:unicorn
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Vivi wrote:
204P holds an impressive edge, and I'm someone that normally doesn't worry about edge holding at all. No other steel I've tried seems to hold that freshly touched-up, shaving sharp edge as long as my 204P Military. Takes a little more effort to get it there than S30V, but it's not unbearable.
Same here. 204p Millie is just awesome.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I like the performance of XHP.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Vivi wrote:
As high sharpness as M4, Superblue or VG10? Or it’s at S110V sharpness level?
Chris :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

204P gets as sharp as anything else for me. Easily hair whittling off my fine SM rods.
:unicorn
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

As sharp as 52100, super blue, you name it. It's awesome
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Vivi wrote:204P gets as sharp as anything else for me. Easily hair whittling off my fine SM rods.
I agree. As sharp or sharper than any imo.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

anagarika wrote:
Vivi wrote:
As high sharpness as M4, Superblue or VG10? Or it’s at S110V sharpness level?
It's as sharp as anything I've ever had. Even 52100.
CTS-204P is extremely nice blade steel imo.
The Military in CTS-204P is prime example of how good 204p can be.