Do I really "need" a Southard?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Post by MacLaren »

wheats wrote:Mine arrived today. To say blown away is an understatement. I've always thought the "if you could only keep 1" threads were a little silly, and they are, but I really think I could be happy with only a Southard and a dragonfly. Knocked the PITS down to #2 of my nicest knives.
Nice.... :D
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Whoa now.......the Brown Southard just jumped to $169 on BHQ...
The Black Southard is still $164
This is the 1st time I've ever saw the Brown Southard listing for more than the Black Southard.
spy4life

Post by spy4life »

MacLaren wrote:Whoa now.......the Brown Southard just jumped to $169 on BHQ...
This is the 1st time I've ever saw the Brown Southard listing for more than the Black Southard.
I’m guessing that folks realize the value of Spyderco’s first original flipper design...
~spy4life~

Collections: GB1, GB2, Dice, Urban-K390, Positron-S35VN, Sliverax, Southard brown&blk, CS Native 5 S90V, KW Military S90V Carbon/Ti
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

spy4life wrote:
MacLaren wrote:Whoa now.......the Brown Southard just jumped to $169 on BHQ...
I’m guessing that folks realize the value of Spyderco’s first original flipper design...
Getting low on inventory is my guess.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

wheats wrote:Mine arrived today. To say blown away is an understatement. I've always thought the "if you could only keep 1" threads were a little silly, and they are, but I really think I could be happy with only a Southard and a dragonfly. Knocked the PITS down to #2 of my nicest knives.
The quality level of the fit and finish is hard to find elsewhere :spyder:
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
No doubt, this (along with the Vallotton) are the ones I reference when describing Taichung level fit and finish. It has a sort of mechanical precision about it that really blew me away when I first handled it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Evil D wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:
No doubt, this (along with the Vallotton) are the ones I reference when describing Taichung level fit and finish. It has a sort of mechanical precision about it that really blew me away when I first handled it.
Ooo, that's really good to hear about the Vallotton. It's been on my list of knives to buy in 2018. Glad to hear it's dialed in!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I guess I can live with the thickness for an otherwise amazing design
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

GarageBoy wrote:I guess I can live with the thickness for an otherwise amazing design
In my experience, it's pretty thin behind the edge due to the hollow grind. It's great for making cuts that don't require burying the blade in something.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
GarageBoy wrote:I guess I can live with the thickness for an otherwise amazing design
In my experience, it's pretty thin behind the edge due to the hollow grind. It's great for making cuts that don't require burying the blade in something.
A big +1
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I finally received my Southard. I haven't had much time with it yet but it's a nice piece and definitely worth the price of admission. I asked BHQ to pick me one with a strong detent and they didn't disappoint. There was a sticky note on the box confirming that they checked it and I have no reason to doubt. It flips great! About the only other things I can comment on at this point is the scale is the grippiest I've ever handled and the blade is sticky sharp. Happy to finally have one of these.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Sharp Guy wrote:I finally received my Southard. I haven't had much time with it yet but it's a nice piece and definitely worth the price of admission. I asked BHQ to pick me one with a strong detent and they didn't disappoint. There was a sticky note on the box confirming that they checked it and I have no reason to doubt. It flips great! About the only other things I can comment on at this point is the scale is the grippiest I've ever handled and the blade is sticky sharp. Happy to finally have one of these.
Big Congratz!! :D
Sounds like Jim Dandy!!!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Mine came today. Wow! Very nice piece, but I'm concerned I probably won't carry it very often. I have to many other knives I prefer to carry. At that price I couldn't say no though!
Josh
palonej

Post by palonej »

Evil D wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:
The Southard, Domino, Advocate and Lil Sub Hilt are amazing examples of the fantastic builds coming out of that plant.
Carried the Sub Hilt today. It’s one of those Knives I can’t stop ogling!!!
Joe
PIC!
Attachments
2274C328-9ABB-4CC4-B8B7-047063C2962C.jpeg
Last edited by palonej on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Got my new black Southard the other day. I'm very happy to have one again. It's a great knife! This time I'm not selling it off for something else. That was a mistake that won't be made twice. :)
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

murphjd25 wrote:Mine came today. Wow! Very nice piece, but I'm concerned I probably won't carry it very often. I have to many other knives I prefer to carry. At that price I couldn't say no though!
That's how I feel about it too. It's kind of like the GB for me. Beautiful knife that has a permanent home here but it doesn't get carried much. I have a feeling the Southard will be the same. We'll see. Lately I've been carrying something a little bigger IWB (PM2, M2 LW, or Sliverax) and the something more practical (for me) in the front pocket.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

palonej wrote:The Southard, Domino, Advocate and Lil Sub Hilt are amazing examples of the fantastic builds coming out of that plant.
Lil Sub Hilt is on my long list. Another piece I probably wouldn't carry much but one that I want just to have.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm pretty happy with my Dice, as I was happy with my Domino (no longer in my collection).

Hoping that the CQI for the Advocate yields the perfect flipper version of a GB2 :P
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
I agree with this 100%. The Southard slices very well on most media when compared to the PM2 of the same steel and in some cutting outperforms the FFG.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."