Why no more Autos?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderwolf

Why no more Autos?

Post by spyderwolf »

Just curious why Spyderco doesnt do autos anymore.I know they are a pain in the *** to carry from the legal stand point,and the sheeple run for the hills when you deploy an auto to peel a orange,i know they are expensive,and hard to make,but they are sooo cool.I think they would sell like there is no tomorrow...
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Candyman

Re: Why no more Autos?

Post by Candyman »

spyderwolf wrote:Just curious why Spyderco doesnt do autos anymore.I know they are a pain in the *** to carry from the legal stand point,and the sheeple run for the hills when you deploy an auto to peel a orange,i know they are expensive,and hard to make,but they are sooo cool.I think they would sell like there is no tomorrow...

They still make them. The Autonomy is still in production and available.

Rich (Candyman)
Think for yourself
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

They had a major issue with Federal regulators on balisongs, too, as I recall. And the reasoning of the regulators would apply equally to autos (I think the government decided that a balisong was a "switchblade" for regulatory purposes). As I recall it cost Spyderco more than half a million dollars in fines and seized inventory.

That kind of experience would probably sour you on manufacturing products that were anywhere near a grey area.

Link here: http://dogbrothers.com/phpBB2/index.php ... 238.0;wap2
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Now that Colorado has changed their knife laws, I hope Spyderco will return to manufacturing Autos for sale at the factory outlet. I will legally purchase one in Colorado and assume all responsibility to get it back home safely :)
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

spyderwolf wrote:Just curious why Spyderco doesnt do autos anymore.I know they are a pain in the *** to carry from the legal stand point,and the sheeple run for the hills when you deploy an auto to peel a orange,i know they are expensive,and hard to make,but they are sooo cool.I think they would sell like there is no tomorrow...
Well you answered your own question.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

I don't think they're especially cool. I think they're a liability that offers virtually nothing new for most users, apart from increased cost and decreased safety. Oh... and they also have more parts to break and are more difficult to service.

I'm sure taktikal knife bros love them.

All that said, of all the Spyderco Knives of Dubious Legality, I think the Jani-song is an incredible design. I'm glad I don't have one, because I would drive my wife totally insane playing with it. Not an automatic, obviously. And I can't say that flipping it is intrinsically "cooler" than OTF autos. But it seems like a considerable safety improvement over its design ancestors, and that's a beautiful thing.
SalomonA

Post by SalomonA »

I live in texas, so we can legally carry s witchblades and/or butterfly knives with blade lengths up to 5 inches. Needless to say I would also like some more auto knives.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

btbyrd wrote:I don't think they're especially cool. I think they're a liability that offers virtually nothing new for most users, apart from increased cost and decreased safety. Oh... and they also have more parts to break and are more difficult to service.

All that said, of all the Spyderco Knives of Dubious Legality, I think the Jani-song is an incredible design. I'm glad I don't have one, because I would drive my wife totally insane playing with it. Not an automatic, obviously. And I can't say that flipping it is intrinsically "cooler" than OTF autos. But it seems like a considerable safety improvement over its design ancestors, and that's a beautiful thing.

On the whole I agree. I've never felt the need for an auto and they've always felt like more of a gimmick than a real world tool. However, I am really interested in the Autonomy, because I think it gets around a lot of these issues. The lock itself looks like it functions very similarly to a compression lock, just with a button on the side of the handle instead of a lock tab, and that button doubles as the firing and unlocking button. Seems to me that even if the spring failed the knife would still be safe and usable. The best part is it can be serviced/repaired without taking the knife apart, and Spyderco sell replacement spring kits so if it does fail you don't have to mail it back to them for repair.
~David
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Evil D wrote:
btbyrd wrote:I don't think they're especially cool. I think they're a liability that offers virtually nothing new for most users, apart from increased cost and decreased safety. Oh... and they also have more parts to break and are more difficult to service.

On the whole I agree. I've never felt the need for an auto and they've always felt like more of a gimmick than a real world tool. However, I am really interested in the Autonomy, because I think it gets around a lot of these issues. The lock itself looks like it functions very similarly to a compression lock, just with a button on the side of the handle instead of a lock tab, and that button doubles as the firing and unlocking button. Seems to me that even if the spring failed the knife would still be safe and usable. The best part is it can be serviced/repaired without taking the knife apart, and Spyderco sell replacement spring kits so if it does fail you don't have to mail it back to them for repair.
The Autonomy is a great knife! I've fallen in love with mine and it's become my most carried knife at about 4 days a week easy. The half inch plain edge on the tip is perfect for anything I need to cut with precision and the serrations are mean on this knife. Furthermore the H1 holds up better than I could've ever imagined. As for the button, I've never once had to put this knife in the lock position in the 2+ years I've had it because it does not accidentally open, you need force. Just the right amount too.
Think for yourself
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Richierich252000 wrote:
The Autonomy is a great knife! I've fallen in love with mine and it's become my most carried knife at about 4 days a week easy. The half inch plain edge on the tip is perfect for anything I need to cut with precision and the serrations are mean on this knife. Furthermore the H1 holds up better than I could've ever imagined. As for the button, I've never once had to put this knife in the lock position in the 2+ years I've had it because it does not accidentally open, you need force. Just the right amount too.
That's great to hear, it's probably next on my purchase list.
~David
palonej

Post by palonej »

The Autonomy is a fantastic Spydie! It is tough as nails, very comfy in hand, locks up stupid tight and fires like a pistol!!
It also cuts like a pocket chain saw!
Joe
Attachments
4A56C7D3-B26B-4BB7-A760-0B661993881B.jpeg
sal

Post by sal »

We have an Autonomy 2 in-the-works and we're woking on a few other ideas.

The State may have changed their laws, but the Feds have not and we choose not to be the test case.

We will eventually make a Jani in Golden.

sal
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

sal wrote:We have an Autonomy 2 in-the-works and we're woking on a few other ideas.

The State may have changed their laws, but the Feds have not and we choose not to be the test case.

sal
Sal, as Col. Ludlow said in Legends of the Fall, "Screw the government ". :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
sal

Post by sal »

Back in the 60's (Roaring 60's :cool: ) We used to say "Big Brother may be a bastid, but Big Brother is BIG!"

sal
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

sal wrote:Back in the 60's (Roaring 60's :cool: ) We used to say "Big Brother may be a bastid, but Big Brother is BIG!"

sal
I stand corrected, I should have said, " Screw the lawyers". ;)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

sal wrote:We have an Autonomy 2 in-the-works and we're woking on a few other ideas.

sal
I suppose you don't want to elaborate on the Autonomy 2 Sal? :)
I hope it will come in PE as an option, and satin blade/black scales.
That just about sums up my personal wish list
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

yeah I guessed you answered your own questions.

But much like the balisong market, the few companies that produce MTs are big competitors
Given the cost of a Spyderco auto, most people would rather go for a well-known brand with a history of well-known models (Microtech, Protech, RatWorx, some BMs) at that price :(

and if one wanted to go to the inexpensive side, I believe he'd rather have some Gerbers, some Kershaws...also, the Autonomy is SE (something not appealing to many folks) and non-pointy (again, same thing)

Add to that the cost of tooling, machinery, etc. and the legal trouble, it's almost not worth doing it unless you know it'll be a success and have the legality stuff sorted out.

Also, more expensive servicing and more possible warranty issues (moving parts, more complex internals, spring wear, etc.)

I'd love to see more Spyderco autos but given the complications, past experiences and troubles I see it hard to do and it sure requires some planning.
But it's a really nice idea and I hope the next "Autonomy 2" is a success and a first step! :spyder:
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Evil D wrote:
Well you answered your own question.
I never ask a question to which i dont know the answer ;)
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Since when ''***'' is a bad word?Its just a body part,after all.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

spyderwolf wrote:
Since when the word designating the body part on which you seat must be censored?