Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Post by Evil D »

If not a Civilian handle then use the Military. Both have great ergonomics and will swallow up a large blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:If not a Civilian handle then use the Military. Both have great ergonomics and will swallow up a large blade.
What minor modifications they might have to do to accomodate a big Hawkbill blade should be relatively easy>> and they might not have to do much at all. It would be an excellent variant of the Civilian. The blade would be big enough to offer a combo edged Hawkbill blade for those who would want one.

I'm also wondering if a Salt Series version of a Civi-Hawk would be a great idea for people in the fishing and seafaring jobs? As great of a hard use knife the Spyderhawk is I think the CIVI-Hawk would even be better.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:If not a Civilian handle then use the Military. Both have great ergonomics and will swallow up a large blade.
What minor modifications they might have to do to accomodate a big Hawkbill blade should be relatively easy>> and they might not have to do much at all. It would be an excellent variant of the Civilian. The blade would be big enough to offer a combo edged Hawkbill blade for those who would want one.

I'm also wondering if a Salt Series version of a Civi-Hawk would be a great idea for people in the fishing and seafaring jobs? As great of a hard use knife the Spyderhawk is I think the CIVI-Hawk would even be better.
With the hook end of the Civilian bring as pronounced as it is I would think a typical hawkbill shape would fit just as well. I wouldn't expect it to need any modifications, just a blade shape changes and more robust blade grind.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OK I agree again for the most part but I do think that as long as the Civilian blade is it would be wise to use a thicker blade>> because Spyderco themselves have even gone on record as saying that the blades on the Civilian are mainly made for self defense and not utility uses. So a thicker blade would be required.

I'm wondering also if using a thicker blade that you could go with a Full Flat Grind? This is a great idea because I've wanted a Spyderhawk with a G-10 handle for a long time. This would even be better.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't think the last inch or so of the blade would be or need to be as thin if it were a standard hawkbill. That alone would improve the strength of the blade. If they changed it to 4mm blade thickness it may be easier to just use a Military instead since it's already 4mm. I wouldn't mind having a choil option in the handle either.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:I don't think the last inch or so of the blade would be or need to be as thin if it were a standard hawkbill. That alone would improve the strength of the blade. If they changed it to 4mm blade thickness it may be easier to just use a Military instead since it's already 4mm. I wouldn't mind having a choil option in the handle either.
I would still like to see a Full Flat Grind and I would think that the entire spine of the blade would have to be thicker. Don't really think that a C-36 Military handle would be needed because I actually like the present handle that they use for the Civilian model.

The "choil" option is interesting especially if it's going to be used in jobs like fishing and any other jobs where you are working in wet/slick conditions. I would like to see a really grippy G-10 handle. As big as a Civilian Hawkbill would be I'm sure it would catch the attention of the Martial Arts community as well as just being used as a standard Hawkbill.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Civilian is one I have wanted for a while but another model typically ucerps it when I have the funds. I think it would be a great candidate for a hawkbill with minimal modifications to the original handle.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:The Civilian is one I have wanted for a while but another model typically ucerps it when I have the funds. I think it would be a great candidate for a hawkbill with minimal modifications to the original handle.
I've gotten out one of my Civilian and one of my Matriarch models. It wouldn't take much modification at all to make either one of them into full fledged Hawkbill folders. This may be an excellent marketing opportunity for Spyderco>> first you have the extremely little Hawkbills going great at the box office so it would make perfect sense to do a really big one.

When you consider the rising fanfare of the Spyderhawk which has a modest FRN handle you just know that a Civilian Hawkbill with a premium G-10 handle would be a great new Hawkbill. Oh I want the upcoming Spyderhawk sprint run but I also want to see a Civilian Hawkbill as well.
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

What i'm picturing is either a Manix 2/XL, or Yojimbo 2 Hawkbill design, both handle patterns seems they would accommodate a hawk blade easily. CBBL or compression lock, if the Manix 2 Platform was utilized, you could then also have an XL megahawk, and a LW hawkbill as well.

seems like a win to me offer it in SE, PE and combo, I'd be in for one or more depending.
:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BravoTango wrote:What i'm picturing is either a Manix 2/XL, or Yojimbo 2 Hawkbill design, both handle patterns seems they would accommodate a hawk blade easily. CBBL or compression lock, if the Manix 2 Platform was utilized, you could then also have an XL megahawk, and a LW hawkbill as well.

seems like a win to me offer it in SE, PE and combo, I'd be in for one or more depending.
That's a really cool suggestion :) We should ask Brother Michael Janich if he would be interested in re-designing his YO 2 into a YO-Hawkbill>> I love the idea>> not only would that be a great folder it would also make for a great fixed blade Hawkbill IMO.

Because it's way past time for a Fixed Blade Hawkbill especially.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

JD...

Any time that Sal wants me to get Daywalker to send the Boomerang to Sal, just shout! :)
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I am doing a bunch of Kukhris at the moment ( after my present batch of Serratas ) so I might just do another Boomerang at the same time? :confused: :) :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:JD...

Any time that Sal wants me to get Daywalker to send the Boomerang to Sal, just shout! :)
Anything that Brother DAYWalKER would design is super. I've always loved his designs. I hope he still has the original RONIN I traded him. Chad contributed a lot to this thread in it's early going and I credit him greatly for the birth of the SUPERHAWK model.

With the upsurge in sales of these litlle Hawkbills ( LadyHawk & DragonHawk) I think the stage is about to be set for Hawkbills to become much more popular. I truly believe that these little Hawkbills are going to make many curious about the bigger Hawkbill models.

I'm sure any new models that you and Chad would present to Sal would be deeply considered him and the company. Also what are your ideas on Spyderco possibly doing a fixed blade Hawkbill? Or your ideas on EVIL D's idea of a CIVILIAN model being converted to a full fledged Hawkbill?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

JD: did you see in the new catalog that there will be a Spyderhawk Sprint run?

http://catalog.spyderco.com/productguide/?page=106

Amazing! :) You and I and others have been eagerly anticipating this!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

That's GREAT!
Celebrating its return carrying the old one today

JD and all, you did it! ;)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Now I can stop feeling jealous every time you post a Spyderhawk ;)
:unicorn
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Vivi wrote:Now I can stop feeling jealous every time you post a Spyderhawk ;)

Now we will get to see new pictures of the new Spyder Hawk in use from you and others and hopefully myself as well, too.
vivi

Post by vivi »

**** I might use the Spyderhawk as an excuse to start doing video reviews. I've always been annoyed at knife "reviews" that are 10-15 minutes long without showing the knife cutting a single object. We'll see :)
:unicorn
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Thank you for never letting this thread die and brining back the spyderhawk. I place my pre-order tonight.
Justin
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

Vivi wrote:**** I might use the Spyderhawk as an excuse to start doing video reviews. I've always been annoyed at knife "reviews" that are 10-15 minutes long without showing the knife cutting a single object. We'll see :)
I really dislike the knife reviews that make you sit through 4-5 minutes of the reviewer showing you all these other knives in their collection before getting to the knife the review is supposed to be about...