Official 2018 Catalog Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Official 2018 Catalog Discussion

Post by Sharp Guy »

Whitetail addict wrote:Is the calypso soild or clad?
Based on KC's pic it appears that it's solid SB.

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Haha! cool! :) So does this mean we can definitely pre order it now and guarantee we get one?
I received the email from KC at 6:48 central time and had my pre-orders in by 7:00. So there are some folks in line ahead of you. No guarantees but based on my past experience if you order within the 24 hrs you should be ok.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

But the question is, Sharp Guy, how many of these are going to be made, and is it a first come first serve type of situation, and if someone is late ordering one, they may not get it? I am not so astute on how the Sprint runs work.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:But the question is, Sharp Guy, how many of these are going to be made
It varies but it's my understanding that sprint runs are typically 1200 pieces.
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:and is it a first come first serve type of situation
Typically yes
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:and if someone is late ordering one, they may not get it?
KC has told me that they try not to take more pre-orders than they expect to receive. However, since I read about folks not receiving their orders I assume that's not always the case. The rule of thumb is, the earlier you get your order in the better your chances are of receiving the item. I've placed about 10 pre-orders and I've received all of them but I've always ordered fairly early. If I was uncertain that I'd receive my order, I would watch the item to go up for sale at another dealer. If I happen to buy one elsewhere then I would call the original dealer and cancel my pre-order.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

The DLC version of the Native 5 is now available in plainedge, apparently. (!!) Wish I'd known that before I bought these orange Cutlery Shoppe Exclusives for the sole purpose of switching the plainedge DLC blades into black handles. But this is still pretty awesome, I'm going to be picking up one or two to have around for backups.

Also that Native Salt is the best thing ever. Yellow is my favorite color, and uber-stainless is my favorite type of steel, and the Native 5 is my favorite model, and combined they make a perfect knife that I will most definitely be buying. Wish either the blade was black to match the lockbar or the lockbar was uncoated to match the blade, but I can fix that easily enough by swapping some parts around.

Also I like that Waterway that Lance was showing off in the other thread. I don't go for fixed blades much usually, but it looks like it might be a good kitchen knife, in which case maybe I'll pick one up.

And I'm glad the Matriarch is still in production, I like it a lot but haven't had the chance to pick one up yet.

Caly Jr is lovely and the model is something I've admired for a long time, but I'll have to see how much cash is left after I get the Natives.

This upcoming year will bring a top-notch bunch of Spydies, that's for sure. :spyder:
mpcgimli

Post by mpcgimli »

I wonder, why neither the Para 3 Maxamet, nor the Paramilitary 2 Maxamet are in the catalogue..
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

It's great to see the Calypso Jr. soldier on. Makes me hopeful there might be another sprint in a different steel (non-Super Blue fan here).

Something I could really use a couple of is a Native 5 LW in something other than black FRN, but keeping the S35VN steel. Not to pocket carry, but to stash in packs and bicycle bags. Colors would also be great for gifts (like the Delica/Endura FRN color selection for the VG10 FFG). So that was a catalog dissapointment. The new N5 Salt would work color-wise and likely steel-wise, but it's kind of spendy for this application.

I haven't tallied it up, but it seems like there were a number of Taichung model cancellations, with no follow-up production of new models reflected in the catalog? It makes me think the Slysz Bowie was cancelled too quickly. Of course, this is just a fancy way for me to cry over a missed opportunity!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Surfingringo wrote:There's some good stuff in there!

Must haves-

-Throwing knives (large)
-Respect- What a gorgeous example of the Bowie design. I'm not sure yet what I'll use it for and I rarely buy knives just for looks but I'll get this one for sure.
-Something in V-Toku, probably a Stretch.
-WaterWay- Meh, I might pick one up. :rolleyes: :p

Maybes-
-Lil Subhilt- I know it's not brand new but this is the first time I've paid any attention to it. Love it
-Rhino- I got to handle some of Michael's designs at Blade and I'll buy most anything he makes.
I think the WaterWay looks like quite a useful design, you probably should pick one up :p

Considering one for the boat myself :D
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

As I anticipated a very austere catalog, all the high ends are gone and nothing replaced them
Nothing like Slysz Bowie, no integral like Nirvana, Hanan is nowhere near Southard
Titanium Military’s are gone
The days of experimenting with high end production pieces seem to be gone
Adding to this the MAP 35% and possible MRSP increases and all is sweet

I expected more in LC200N

What’s the story with Maxamet Para2 and Para3, why are they not in the catalog, can somebody from Spyderco please clarify that?

Nothing new from Slysz but another ugly one - a bigger Ouroboros
No Techno 2, they said Techno still sells well so if ain’t broke why fix it

I have Endura and Delica in Super Blue and HAP40 but I’ll still be interested in the new laminates

And from the entire catalogue I think I’m only interested in LC200N Native 5 and possibly the Rhino
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:Also, does anyone know what knife is shown on the rock cliff on page 116 and 117? I don’t see it listed in the catalog with a name. Handle looks frn..

Hi LC, that is actually the Waterway. The design went through quite an evolution and the picture shown with the name is actually an older prototype. The Waterway will look like the picture on page 116-117. Hopefully it won't go into the print version like that but if it does, I trust you guys will keep folks informed. :)

ETA: That handle is a new textured G10. It is a texture that they created specifically for this design to keep the g10 grippy in wet and bloody conditions. I"ve been using it for awhile now on one of the prototypes and it is very grippy and comfortable.
Congratulations, Lance! The design looks great! What is the weight on the knife, btw?
Hey Doc, I don’t have one of the final models but I believe it’s about 4 1/2 ounces. Not bad considering it’s a pretty stout little knife.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

These all look great!
HAP40 Wharncliffe Delica
Takefu Delica
Takefu Stretch
Super Blue Caly Jr
Native Salt
Waterway

No Maxamet Military :(

I am not really into the high end stuff but after seeing a lot of them cut it is interesting to see that void not filled.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
archangel

Post by archangel »

archangel wrote:SB Calypso Jr. and VTOKU Endura or Delica for me. I better happen to be solvent when they‘re out...
Delica and Calypso Jr. order placed at KC. Is DLT usually also adding new models to their shop for preorder quickly, too? Can anyone post a message when the new models hit DLT? Since KC has a history of unfulfilled preorders, I wanna make sure to have a better chance by placing a second order at DLT.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Looks like I may be spending more on Spydercos in 2018 than I have in a while.

Respect - Nice size Bowie, that looks like what I think a Bowie should look like, designed by Sal Glesser, absolute must have!

SS Kopa - the long awaited clipless Kopa, want 2 of these, one to keep "stock", one to spend even more on by having it engraved

Native Salt - Just want one, don't know exactly why

SB Calypso Jr & WTF Stretch - Just to keep collections complete - no love for the steels
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
archangel

Post by archangel »

The Deacon wrote:... & WTF Stretch...
LOL :D
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Deacon wrote:Looks like I may be spending more on Spydercos in 2018 than I have in a while.

Respect - Nice size Bowie, that looks like what I think a Bowie should look like, designed by Sal Glesser, absolute must have!

SS Kopa - the long awaited clipless Kopa, want 2 of these, one to keep "stock", one to spend even more on by having it engraved

SB Calypso Jr & WTF Stretch - Just to keep collections complete - no love for the steels
Yeah Paul, what you just said! ^. That Respect just looks like such a perfect example of a large Bowie...one of the cleanest and prettiest Bowie designs I’ve ever seen. I would have expected no less of Sal. I imagine ole Jim would have been proud to carry that one himself ;) .
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

archangel wrote:
WTF = Worthless Tacky Foo :p ;)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
archangel

Post by archangel »

Surfingringo wrote:
The Deacon wrote:Looks like I may be spending more on Spydercos in 2018 than I have in a while.

Yeah Paul, what you just said! ^. That Respect just looks like such a perfect example of a large Bowie...one of the cleanest and prettiest Bowie designs I’ve ever seen. I would have expected no less of Sal. I imagine ole Jim would have been proud to carry that one himself ;) .
It‘s a heck of a good looking knife. But it‘s very VERY pricy, too...

I‘m sure Sal had lots of fun creating it. :) Looks like a zero compromise knife.
Michael
archangel

Post by archangel »

The Deacon wrote:
archangel wrote:
WTF = Worthless Tacky Foo :p ;)
I suggest that‘s the new insider name for the steel, since everything else seems too complicated. ;) Nah... but seriously, a name that‘s easier to remember for that steel would have been nice.
Michael
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

A couple of interesting models for sure, but also a couple of WTF's like, where's the darn Darn Dao?? The new Kopa.. Kinda lost its identity IMO could at least have had polished "fake bolsters" and satin in the middle to simulate inlay.
Calypso and HAP40 wharnie Delica are guaranteed buys for me, probably one of the WTF-steel models just because. "Got to" buy the Kopa since i finally managed to get my hands on the O.G. 16. No love for #17 though..
Was expecting the Darn Dao?! Might pick up a couple of -17 models i didn't have time and/or money for this year.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
johnson

Post by johnson »

It's been asked a couple of times and no answers yet ! I'll give it another go ! Where is the Para Military 2 and Para 3 Maxamet models ?