Official 2018 Catalog Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Re: Official 2018 Catalog Discussion

Post by Surfingringo »

There's some good stuff in there!

Must haves-

-Throwing knives (large)
-Respect- What a gorgeous example of the Bowie design. I'm not sure yet what I'll use it for and I rarely buy knives just for looks but I'll get this one for sure.
-Something in V-Toku, probably a Stretch.
-WaterWay- Meh, I might pick one up. :rolleyes: :p

Maybes-
-Lil Subhilt- I know it's not brand new but this is the first time I've paid any attention to it. Love it
-Rhino- I got to handle some of Michael's designs at Blade and I'll buy most anything he makes.
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

Does anyone have any comparisons to v-toku2 steel? I've never heard it mentioned before.
shaztecs_knives on instagram
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:Also, does anyone know what knife is shown on the rock cliff on page 116 and 117? I don’t see it listed in the catalog with a name. Handle looks frn..

Hi LC, that is actually the Waterway. The design went through quite an evolution and the picture shown with the name is actually an older prototype. The Waterway will look like the picture on page 116-117. Hopefully it won't go into the print version like that but if it does, I trust you guys will keep folks informed. :)

ETA: That handle is a new textured G10. It is a texture that they created specifically for this design to keep the g10 grippy in wet and bloody conditions. I"ve been using it for awhile now on one of the prototypes and it is very grippy and comfortable.
Congratulations Lance! That must be quite the thrill for you to have this come out. And in LC200N to boot.

Glad this revised one made the cut btw. The one on page 118 was making me wonder what all that ricasso was about.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Nice to see a Bowie offered as well as clearing up the "what is the Respect" riddle we were thrown.

Haven't heard of Vtoku. Sounds interesting.

Salt 2's and Spyderhawk. :spyder: :spyder:
Last edited by mb1 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Looking forward to the Calypso Jr sprint and finally trying Super Blue (Calypso Jr). I'll also be in for a Vtoku Delica, Dragonfly, and possibly a Manbug. Might do the Hanan too. We'll have to see what other surprises 2018 brings.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

mb1 wrote:
Congratulations Lance! That must be quite the thrill for you to have this come out. And in LC200N to boot.

Glad this revised one made the cut btw. The one on page 118 was making me wonder what all that ricasso was about.
Thanks man, and yes, it is absolutely a blast to see it come out. I hope you guys enjoy the design as much as I do. A far as that photo, that was an early prototype where we tried leaving the guard exposed to keep things thin and light. Instead of "thin and light" we got "funky and fugly" so that idea went away quick. Anyway, I guess you guys get to see a little of the evolution. :)
Whitetail addict

Post by Whitetail addict »

spyderco knocked it outta the park!!
@martial_logan on the instagram.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Nice to see that Native Salt, shame there's no combo edge which I think could be interesting in LC200N.
That Parata looks interesting.
Love Sal's Bowie.
Could go for that Waterway, want to try LC200N first.

Plenty of cool Sprints, don't know anything about V-TOKU steel yet but will most likely be interested in a few, excited to see a Stretch 2 Sprint and seems like a nice colour FRN.
Calypso jr in FRN is supercool, Superblue and matching colour FRN aren't exactly making it any worse.
That Shabaria is a thing of beauty, probably won't get one because I have the original but good to see it back.
Was already waiting for that wharnie Delica in HAP40 and wouldn't mind that Spyderhawk.

Have plenty of issues to deal with before the mid year supplement comes out.. ;)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I was afraid the 2018 catalog (another great layout!) was going to be as target-rich for me as last year's. It's not, and I am glad.

I bought so many this year that I sort of lost the fun of unhurried time with each.

Well, now I can take that time, all the while waiting for dealer exclusives and the mid-year supplement to materialize.

ETA: see below.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Where's the Maxamet PM2 at? I thought that was a production model.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Carbon85 wrote:no sprint run CF / s90v para3...

what gives guys

released that lame saber ground native in novelty steel and something that will guaranteed sell out is still non-existent...lame
Patience...

I think it’ll be out this month.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

Caly Jr in Super Blue will suit me well. The Orange H1 Spyderhawk will match my yellow version well also.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Btw, the stop lock is not in the section on lock mechanisms.. ;)
Ippon

Post by Ippon »

Is it just me or is the Maxamet PM2 not in the catalog? is this one going to end up not being standard production? I'm sure enjoying mine so far.
elqfaltaba

Post by elqfaltaba »

Great!

Now to enjoy discovering the new ideas of the fantastic Spyderco Team.

Thanks to all them.
Last edited by elqfaltaba on Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anubisman

Post by Anubisman »

Thanks Sal for the Caly Jr. Superblue sprint.

Anubisman
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

have to admit was suprised there wasnt more lc200n or super blue given how much they are requested here. will definitly pick up the caly jr and endura sprint.
shaztecs_knives on instagram
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Throwing Spyder's made it in the cattalog again this year.

I really hope I see them for sale so I can get em in my budget.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Where's the Maxamet PM2 at? I thought that was a production model.
Also curious about this...
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
animportant

Post by animportant »

Vtoku-2 is a steel with a ton of carbon and not much else. Going to be tough to keep that edge clean. Not trying to be pessimistic but I was more excited for that other Japanese Sprint run we had discussed on the forum earlier while throwing ideas around.

Edit = hoping Lance's Waterway ends up just like the knife on 116-117. Feel in love with that design at blade show. It's definitely my most anticipated Spyderco of the year. Might be my only pickup along with the new Stretch and Manbug sprints.

Might get the PPT. I love the Zoomer and Respect too, but I still need a Spring and Bradley Bowie, and they are considerably more affordable.
Last edited by animportant on Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:37 am, edited 5 times in total.