CPM-154/S90V Composite Carbon Fiber Native 5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Re: CPM-154/S90V Composite Carbon Fiber Native 5

Post by elena86 »

I like how the looks of it quite a lot. More than the ffg one.This one might be my first Native5.Don't care if it's not a great slicer.For me it's important how thin is behind the edge.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Also Fluted CF looks better and contoured handle feels better in my hand.
For me, personally Fluted CF N5 is the knife of the 2017.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

bh49 wrote:Also Fluted CF looks better and contoured handle feels better in my hand.
For me, personally Fluted CF N5 is the knife of the 2017.
The KC-exclusive Native5 with linerless green G-10 and S90V is pretty sweet too specially since it's just $140!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
phaust

Post by phaust »

RamZar wrote:
bh49 wrote:
RamZar wrote:According to BladeHQ, the Sprint Run Native5 with CPM-S90V/CPM-154 composite steel blade (saber grind), textured peel-ply carbon fiber handle and weighing 3.90 ounces will start shipping in December 2017 for $215.97. For the same price you can get the beautiful fluted CF with S90V (FFG) and it weighs just 2.83 ounces!
It also FFG.
Maybe I am missing something really great, but I have zero interest in this knife at this time. I do not see any benefits of S90V/CPM154 over plain S90V in my use. And cannot imagine this knife would ever replace Fluted CF N5 in my pocket.
Practically speaking, with the fluted CF model you get more for the same price. Of course, it costs more to manufacture the composite blade but it also costs more to manufacture the fluted CF. However, with the fluted CF you not only get the same steel blade performance (advantage FFG over Saber) but in a lighter (by a whole ounce) and more aesthetically-pleasing package. I'm all for technical progress but I think the days of composite blades are over.
Does it actually cost more to manufacture a composite blade on a knife? I thought it was the opposite and that is one reason it gets used; the finishing is easier on the softer steel, and the outer layers are a cheaper steel than the core causing the whole material cost to go down.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

phaust wrote:
RamZar wrote:
bh49 wrote:
RamZar wrote:According to BladeHQ, the Sprint Run Native5 with CPM-S90V/CPM-154 composite steel blade (saber grind), textured peel-ply carbon fiber handle and weighing 3.90 ounces will start shipping in December 2017 for $215.97. For the same price you can get the beautiful fluted CF with S90V (FFG) and it weighs just 2.83 ounces!
It also FFG.
Maybe I am missing something really great, but I have zero interest in this knife at this time. I do not see any benefits of S90V/CPM154 over plain S90V in my use. And cannot imagine this knife would ever replace Fluted CF N5 in my pocket.
Practically speaking, with the fluted CF model you get more for the same price. Of course, it costs more to manufacture the composite blade but it also costs more to manufacture the fluted CF. However, with the fluted CF you not only get the same steel blade performance (advantage FFG over Saber) but in a lighter (by a whole ounce) and more aesthetically-pleasing package. I'm all for technical progress but I think the days of composite blades are over.
Does it actually cost more to manufacture a composite blade on a knife? I thought it was the opposite and that is one reason it gets used; the finishing is easier on the softer steel, and the outer layers are a cheaper steel than the core causing the whole material cost to go down.
The idea behind composite blades was to have cheaper steel for the spine and the more expensive steel for the edge. However, the manufacturing process is expensive just like it's more expensive to mill the fluted CF than to make peel ply CF.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
bh49

Post by bh49 »

RamZar wrote: The KC-exclusive Native5 with linerless green G-10 and S90V is pretty sweet too specially since it's just $140!
Please, do not start. I am still resisting. Just got dark green Milly.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

You can see the the line which separates the two steels.

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

https://youtu.be/45Qksuxe1cs
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Well, that video sure did it for me! Ordered. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Well, that video sure did it for me! Ordered. :)
Effective influence by Tyler. I succumbed also.
Novel Native saber grind was the camel straw.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

On second thought, it's a unique Native5 with both the composite blade and that saber grind!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Great looking knife. Kudos to Spyderco for making it.
GH9000

Post by GH9000 »

I’m sold. The pics and video did it in for me. Can’t wait to have it in hand.
Carbon85

Post by Carbon85 »

this thing sucks

i wish they would release the para3 cf / s90 sprint before this thing
GH9000

Post by GH9000 »

I’ve been waitin on that one too... since March. It’s all good though. It’ll come.
GH9000

Post by GH9000 »

Carbon85 wrote:this thing sucks

i wish they would release the para3 cf / s90 sprint before this thing
If you like big knives get the ti/cf Millie at knifeworks. It’s friggin awesome. A lot of ways similar. A lot of ways better.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I do not care about uniqueness and totally hate the grind. I will pass on this knife with pleasure.