My heart just sank..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mythwalker

My heart just sank..

Post by Mythwalker »

So, I’ve been away from the Knife world for a bit since I’m in college and all (and frankly the “broke college student” stereotypes unfortunately followed suit), but I have been getting back into the swing of things as of late. This is great because one of my favorite Knife designs I’ve ever seen was the Southard flipper; it was essentially my dream Knife for a couple years. But I just recently saw that it got the cut and is being discontinued.

I’m interested, why are so many higher end knives getting cut, and is there any guess as to why the Southard in particular? I’ve heard it’s either going to be permanent or that the design will return after a rework of the flipper design. I’d be interested in hearing everyones’ thoughts.
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise?
Evil D

Re: My heart just sank..

Post by Evil D »

I'd say it just had it's time and that time is up. It's been around for years now, far longer than most collaboration knives stick around.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It had a long and I believe successful run. I think there is another Southard in the works. A comp lock flipper.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
timlara

Post by timlara »

It's the circle of life. :D

The good news is if you want one, BladeHQ still has them on sale for a very reasonable price right now...
Tim
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

And even better knews if you by chance are a customer of Knife Center and have knife rewards points. Knife Center will match the BHQ price and will also allow you to redeem your knife rewards points to the purchase. I just got a new one for $134.95 shipped.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Would be great if the new collabs with Brad had steel lockbar inserts ...
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Molle Ninja wrote:Would be great if the new collabs with Brad had steel lockbar inserts ...
When I think of Southard, I think of lots of internal milling. It would be pricey, but I'd like to see a collaboration that has a little more of the machining that Brad is known for.
Mythwalker

Post by Mythwalker »

Thanks for the insight e’rbody. I suppose I’ll be picking one of these puppies up and hope something like it comes along next year. I think $150+/- is more than enough reason for me to jump down the rabbit hole and snag mine before they’re gone!
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mythwalker wrote:Thanks for the insight e’rbody. I suppose I’ll be picking one of these puppies up and hope something like it comes along next year. I think $150+/- is more than enough reason for me to jump down the rabbit hole and snag mine before they’re gone!
That's not a bad price at all. I paid about $100 more for mine.
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mythwalker,

Welcome to our forum.

We find that with most models, for a variety of reasons, have a limit. Only just so many customers are interested in owning that model. When they are disco'd, and the price goes down, more can purchase because of the lower price. (limited income, etc). With CQI, we can get some models to live longer, but even that is difficult. (refinement, new tooling, small improvements, etc.)

We do keep some lower volume models in the line up because they serve a particular market like SAS (Save and Serve) for which we are more dedicated.

In your case, education is more important than knives.

sal
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

sal wrote:
In your case, education is more important than knives.

sal
Or did you mean Edge-U-Cation, Sal? Haha

Good luck in school, MW. Sal’s right, of course.

Ken
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Evil D wrote:I'd say it just had it's time and that time is up. It's been around for years now, far longer than most collaboration knives stick around.
Hmm - never thought of it that way.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Mythwalker wrote:I’m interested, why are so many higher end knives getting cut, and is there any guess as to why the Southard in particular? I’ve heard it’s either going to be permanent or that the design will return after a rework of the flipper design. I’d be interested in hearing everyones’ thoughts.
For that matter, why did they discontinue the Domino and Dice? I guess Spyderco really believes in finding newer and better. They have a few signature knives that they keep and the others rotate out.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Gotta get rid of the old to make room for the new. The discontinued list is full of fantastic models that all got cut. Even with a factory expansion and other factories in other countries there is only so much production capacity.
~David
palonej

Post by palonej »

Mythwalker wrote:So, I’ve been away from the Knife world for a bit since I’m in college and all (and frankly the “broke college student” stereotypes unfortunately followed suit), but I have been getting back into the swing of things as of late. This is great because one of my favorite Knife designs I’ve ever seen was the Southard flipper; it was essentially my dream Knife for a couple years. But I just recently saw that it got the cut and is being discontinued.

I’m interested, why are so many higher end knives getting cut, and is there any guess as to why the Southard in particular? I’ve heard it’s either going to be permanent or that the design will return after a rework of the flipper design. I’d be interested in hearing everyones’ thoughts.
Hey MW!
If purchasing a Southard is possible for you.....do it!
Mine is over 2 years old and I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever. Melts into my hand, excellent action, crazy tight lock up, comfortable in pocket with a great steel, 204P, and a unique blade profile that slices like an angry demon! Some complain about the pocket clip, but after 2 years of carry & use I’ve had no issues.
Liked mine so much I put a custom scale on it. I can’t say enough about it, great knife!!
Good luck!
Joe

PS.....posted a pic of another favorite that has been discoed, Domino with a custom scale. Check that one out also!
Attachments
5A56579B-3860-4657-A692-BC6A6E866899.jpeg
63C30D7D-CD73-485E-9F18-E24E1AAD9DA3.jpeg
D92D0CC4-15A4-40D4-9B5D-C8B088FF4457.jpeg
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Thanks for the insight, sal!

Mythwalker, glad you decided to get one before they're gone.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

FX sniper wrote:I think the southard is an oxymoron, it´s one of those things in life that is so ugly that it´s beautiful.....
For me it certainly is a "beautiful in use" kind of ordeal, though I do like quite a bit about the design aesthetically. I may send mine out for a regrind, I think I'd use it more if it sliced better.
~David